WorldCat LocalTilburg University library uses the search engine WorldCat Local. This international catalog offers additional options and more search results in one location.
WorldCat and WorldCat Local: What is it?WorldCat.org is a freely accessible, international catalog, which provides access to the catalogs of thousands of libraries. WorldCat Local is the local version of this catalog, specifically designed for students and employees of Tilburg University. Through WorldCat Local you will find not only the titles of publications, but also links to the electronic version or information on the availability of the publication in our library. WorldCat Local offers publications on three different levels:
- available through Tilburg University (hard-copy or online for TiU-users),
- available in other libraries in the Netherlands (NCC, Dutch Central Catalog),
- available worldwide
By this distinction you can obtain all kinds of additional information on publications that would normally only be available through external databases or search engines. In the result list the publications available at Tilburg University are situated at the top.
What are the advantages of WorldCat Local for end-users?
- WorldCat offers lots of results, because it also includes lots of publications available outside Tilburg University library
Consulting other databases to search for publications will hardly be necessary anymore. Found literature outside Tilburg University library can be requested via ILL.
- With WorldCat you can immediately see whether a publication is available through our library.
You then have the option to reserve the publication or request it from the depot (CBM) or other Dutch library (ILL).
- WorldCat contains tables of content, book covers and abstracts.
Find the right publication fast and easily by scanning through the table of contents or abstract of the publication.
- WorldCat enables you to search specifically for a certain kind of material, such as electronic and digital items, music, video, theses and printed documents.
Narrow down your search by selecting the kind of material you prefer.
- With WorldCat as a starting point you can easily navigate further to available online content.
All subscribed journals of Tilburg University are included in WorldCat Local. If electronic access to a publication is possible the link to the source will appear.
- WorldCat has a separate journal catalog.
This catalog gives you an overview of all journals. Furthermore, the journal catalog is equipped with an alphabethical browsing option.
- Because Google Books is integrated in WorldCat, access to the full text version of the publication is only one click away.
In addition you can see whether a book, found in Google Books is available at our library, by using the option “Find in a library” in Google Books.
- WorldCat offers you access to social media to share your search results.
Point out interesting titles to friends or colleagues on Facebook or post the book you’re currently reading on LinkedIn.
- In WorldCat you can create and share literature lists.
With this option you can easily make and share a list of for example recommended literature. You can link to your lists from any other webpage, also from Blackboard.
- From Google Scholar you can navigate directly to Tilburg University library or our online publications.
You don’t have to start a new search.
- WorldCat makes it easy to export titles to your reference list.
You can export titles into a reference manager such as EndNote and Zotero, or copy a citation in different formats, among others APA. For instructions, see the instruction video
- WorldCat offers a multilingual interface, among others English, Dutch and Chinese .
This makes the search engine more easy to use, which improves the functionality of the system.
- WorldCat offers a mobile platform: http://tilburguniversity.worldcat.org/m/
You can easily access WorldCat with you mobile devices.
- WorldCat-users are able to develop new applications based on WorldCat-data via the OCLC Developer Network.
This collaborative, open source network expands the applicability of WorldCat-data.