Harrie de SwartProfessor
Room D 144
P.O. Box 90153
NL-5000 LE Tilburg, The Netherlands
Phone +31 13 466 3265
Fax +31 13 466 2892
ExpertiseLogic, Foundations and Philosophy of Mathematics; Intuitionism; Artificial Intelligence (automated reasoning); Social Choice Theory, Election mechanisms; Fallacies and unfair methods of discussion.
- 1962: Gymnasium beta, St. Odulphus Lyceum, Tilburg
- 1966: Master Mathematics and Physics, Nijmegen University
- 1976: PhD Foundations and Philosophy of Mathematics, in particular Intuitionism, Nijmegen University
- From 1966 till 1980 assistant/associate professor at Nijmegen University under the guidance of prof. Johan J. de Iongh, first at the department of mathematics, later at the department of Philosophy.
The academic year 1976-1977 was spent as a Visiting Fellow at the University of Princeton, USA.
- From 1980 full professor at Tilburg University in Logic and Language Analysis.
Current Research Projects
- Logic, Language, Rationality and Information
This research group focuses on furthering our understanding of interdisciplinary issues involving logic, language, rationality and knowledge. These issues are studied in various fields including artificial intelligence, economics and game theory, linguistics, philosophy, and cognitive science. The nature of the research is fundamental, yet with an open eye for applications. For more information, visit the TiLPS website.
Over the years many courses have been tought: logic, set theory, intuitionism, logic at work, databases, prolog, modal/epistemic logic, conditionals, philosophy of mathematics, non-monotonic logic, reasoning about knowledge, logic and computer science, logics for Artificial Intelligence, Social Choice Theory.