Make the most of BSc Global Management of Social Issues
At Tilburg University, you can hone your skills through a range of extracurricular activities and opportunities outside the classroom.
You can, for example, participate in our exciting and challenging on top programs, or take an internship and gain work experience in your field of interest. You can also broaden your horizon by following lecture series, workshops or trainings, or by becoming an active member in a study association.
During your studies, you will have the opportunity to study abroad. As an exchange student, you can follow courses for one semester at a partner university abroad. As this is an international program, you are encouraged to use these opportunities. The International Relations Office at Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences is available to help you with this process.
Internships are not a mandatory part of the Global Management of Social Issues program, but it can be a useful addition to your studies. You can fit an internship in your third year of studies. Doing an internship is very helpful, because you get firsthand experience in your field of interest. It will also help you to see if such a job suits you.
GMSI lecture series
Every year we invite guest lecturers to talk about their field of expertise and engage in a debate, dedicated to complex societal challenges, with the students. Below you will find an overview of GMSI lecture series held in 2016-2017:
- 'The making of borders in the current global context: Separation of Distance and the Processes of Borderization' by Caecilia van Peski
- 'Sustainability in Management' by Simon Schillebeeckx
- Transition Workshop 'Towards a sustainable society' by Charlie Spork
- 'The global crisis of democracy: will trends of nationalism, radicalism and the dominant strategy of anti-terrorism lead to the demise of democracy?' by Dion van den Berg
- 'Tackling wicked problems with (social) entrepreneurship: experiences from the Netherlands and abroad' by Josette Dijkhuizen
- 'Sustainable development goals: the big promise of our time' by Farah Karim
Programs of excellence
Are you looking for an additional dimension to your Bachelor's studies? Then you can widen your academic horizon in one of the Tilburg University programs of excellence. The Honors Program, the Outreaching Program, and the Excellence Program all offer challenging and inspiring education. Develop yourself, deepen your interests, and get to know other disciplines. It is the ideal way to show more of yourself.
If you are interested in an even greater intellectual challenge, or in a chance to broaden your scientific knowledge, you will have the opportunity to take part in the Discourses on Europe / Honors Program. This is a supplementary program consisting of eight courses, four of which you can choose yourself. The program leads to a Tilburg University Honors Certificate in addition to your Bachelor's degree.
Outreaching Honors Program
Do you want to make a difference within society, both nationally and internationally? Then the Outreaching Honors Program is definitely something for you! This program will help you to understand society from more perspectives than just your own field of study. You will develop skills that will be essential after your studies but that cannot be taught in a classroom. During your second and third year, you will learn how to implement scientific knowledge of present-day themes. You will be challenged to gain international experience, and you will be prepared for a top career in society. In this way, you will develop yourself as a leader of the future.
Did you achieve good grades in your first year, and do you want to get more from your studies? Then you could participate in the Excellence Program of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Within this program, you will enhance your knowledge by following extra courses within the field of social and behavioral sciences. The Excellence Program is an intensive, activating, interdisciplinary English program which contains four courses on top of the regular curriculum. It is spread out over the four semesters of the second and third year of studies.
Each field of study has its own study association at Tilburg University, which organizes both study and social related activities. Tilburg University also has one international student association, I*ESN, which emphasizes getting to know students from around the world and having fun together. Membership is open to all internationally-minded students, of all nationalities.
I*ESN is based at Carpe Diem, located at the Heuvelring in the city centre. Benefits include:
- A Facebook group where you can buy and sell secondhand stuff to/from other students.
- International dinners.
- Trips (to e.g. international city break, ski trip).
- Voluntary work.
- Other social activities, such as the Pub Quiz.
- Introduction camp.
- Discounts at various shops and restaurants in Tilburg.
- More than 1,000 different discounts in 137 different cities throughout Europe.
- Buddy/mentor groups - they come together every week and twice a month respectively to have dinner and then go to Carpe Diem for a drink or party. Each group of students gets one or two mentors or buddies who already know Tilburg well and can make it easier for stud
Tilburg University Summer School
Tilburg University Summer School: your perfect start in Tilburg. Before starting your studies in September, you will have the opportunity to take interesting and intensive high-quality courses combined with a fun-packed social program to discover the Dutch culture and the city of Tilburg.
Make the most of your summer
- You gain academic advantage and improve your language skills by following one of the many language courses.
- You can start your academic career by getting familiar with Dutch culture and exploring student life in Tilburg.
- You will meet new people from all over the world.
- You can use your language vouchers to finance the biggest part of your Dutch, English, Spanish or Chinese summer course.
- By participating in these courses, you can obtain official credits (2 to 8 ECTS).
- You can participate in our Summer School now or later, it is also open for students of our university!
Do you want to learn Dutch or improve your English? Or have you always wanted to learn Spanish or Chinese? Then follow one of our language courses! For students who are currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s program, it is also possible to attend the other courses offered by the Summer School. If you want to deepen your knowledge in a particular domain, you can follow a thematic course in the field of Economics, Law, Management & Organization and Psychology.
Besides first-rate interactive courses, Tilburg University Summer School includes a fun packed social program offering you a large number of activities, such as city trips, sports, diners and parties. During the social program you have the opportunity to get to know students from different countries and cultures. Develop your intercultural skills and start to create your international network during this amazing summer experience
- As a student you can do sports at the university. We also have facilities for students who play sports at a high or (semi-)professional level.
- You are allowed to follow extra courses next to your studies, including courses from other Schools. In addition, you can follow language courses at the Language Center or participate in the Tilburg University Summer School in July and August.
- A lot of students have a job next to their studies. Tilburg has many restaurants, bars, cultural organizations, stores, and other companies where you can work. Tilburg University also hires student assistants, for example to assist in a specific course or to help out at a Department. However, non-EEA students need to be aware that there may be restrictions on working hours, according to your nationality. For more information, please go to the Study in Holland website.
- Enthusiastic students are also able to volunteer to give information sessions about their studies in order to promote their program and motivate other people to join their study program.