LLM Research Master in Law
The LLM Research Master in Law is your opportunity to develop new knowledge and cutting-edge academic research skills that can help solve important societal and theoretical issues. With other talented young researchers, you are taught the tools to conduct methodically sound legal research within a wide range of legal fields.
In this program you are provided with knowledge on a wide range of research methods, including comparative law, empirical research, and law and economics. Additionally, you develop the social and intellectual skills needed to perform in national and international research groups. The methodological training will benefit you in all professions that require research skills, including academic research (e.g. PhD research) and professional research conducted by lawyers, judges, ministries, NGOs et cetera. It's a unique opportunity to develop yourself.
Why the Research Master in Law in Tilburg?
- Offered in cooperation with Leuven University (Belgium).
- Students from all over the world gain access to the best professors in the field at two world-class universities, participating in courses at both Tilburg and Leuven.
- The Research Master in Law ranks # 1 in The Netherlands according to the Keuzegids Hoger Onderwijs (Dutch Guide to Higher Education), 2015.
- An exceptionally broad and flexible curriculum, with the scope to choose your own research topic, supervisor and research group.
- Follow your own interests. In addition to the research master courses (compulsory), you choose five master courses from a list of courses offered in other masters at Tilburg Law School.
Every year, a maximum of 24 students (8 Dutch, 8 Belgium and 8 international) with strong academic interests are admitted to the program. Because the group is purposely kept small, students can expect more one-on-one time with their supervisors and peer reviewing. The Law School offers excellent facilities to Research Master students:
- A study room within the law faculty equipped with modern ICT facilities.
- Access to extensive and specialized legal library collections, also electronically.
- Supplementary courses specially designed for the Research Master's program, for example: End Note, English Presentation skills, and Academic Writing.
- Possibilities to participate in congresses or workshops in the Netherlands or abroad.
The Research Master in Law in short
|Start||End of August|
|Duration||Two years (24 months). Check the courses and program structure.|
|Title||Master of Laws (LLM)|
|Bachelor’s with direct access||Bachelor in Law (or equivalent). Check the admission procedure|
|Application deadlines||Start in September 2017|
|Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April 2017|
|EU/EEA students: 1 July 2017|
|Dutch students: 1 July 2017|
|After graduation||While the emphasis in this program is on legal research, it is also an excellent preparation for a career in legal practice. More about the career perspectives|
|More information||Contact us, visit the Master's information evening or become a student for a day|