Research Master's track in Accounting
Tilburg University’s Research Master’s and Ph.D. programs in Accounting are offered by one of the most productive faculties in Europe. Consistently ranked in the top three in Europe in the prestigious UT Dallas ranking of Business Schools, Tilburg’s Accounting group is known for its innovative research in capital markets, managerial accounting, and tax.
Why the Research Master's track in Accounting in Tilburg?
Learn to conduct independent research at the frontier of the field
The Research Master’s provides a two-year coursework program designed to equip students with all the skills needed to conduct independent research at the frontier of the field.
- Grounded strongly in economics and quantitative methods, our faculty encourages students to explore creative, new ideas in a rigorous way.
- We prefer students to extend the boundaries of the field by incorporating insights from adjacent areas such as finance, management, linguistics, and the behavioral sciences rather than making incremental technical improvements.
Achieve remarkable successes
Tilburg was one of the first schools in Europe to offer full-fledged coursework, which prepares students for the demands of dissertation research, on par with what has traditionally been only available in top schools in the US. Since then, the program has achieved remarkable successes:
- Ph.D. students have been placed in top schools in the US (Valeri Nikolaev at University of Chicago, Michal Matejka at USC), in Asia (Huaxiang Yin at Nanyang Technological University), Australia (Chung-Yu Hung at University of Melbourne), and in Europe (Yuping Jia at University of Mannheim, Flora Kuang at Free University of Amsterdam).
- Students have published their dissertation chapters in top journals, such as Journal of Accounting Research, The Accounting Review, and the Journal of Accounting and Economics.
- Research master’s students who opted not to continue their Ph.D. in Tilburg have been admitted to Ph.D. programs in University of Texas at Austin, University of Chicago, and Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Uniquely in the world, three Tilburg Ph.D. students (Michal Matejka,
Peter Kroos, and Huaxiang Yin) together with their supervisors have
earned the distinguished American Accounting Association’s Dissertation
Award (in the Management Accounting Section).
Become an integral part of the Accountancy department
We want our students to share the faculty’s passion for research.
- Students are an integral part of the Accountancy department, benefiting from the many workshops, conferences, and visitors and overall lively, informal but intellectual culture.
- We encourage students to work together with faculty on their research ideas and students have easy access to all the department’s research resources.
The Research Master's track in Accounting in short
|Specifics||Specialized program to prepare for a PhD or for a professional career in a (international) research-based environment|
|Start||End of August|
|Duration||2 years*. Check the (provisional) courses and program structure in the Study guide|
|*A reduction to 1 year of doctoral course work is possible for people with 1 or 2 relevant MSc degrees with excellent grades|
|Title||Master of Science (MSc)|
|Costs||Tuition fees and scholarships|
|Best preparatory Bachelor's||Undergraduate program in a relevant field with excellent grades. Check the admission requirements and application procedure|
|After graduation||More than 75% of the graduates continue at a PhD position at either Tilburg University or another university. 25% of the graduates start a professional career, mostly in the consultancy or financial sector. More about the career perspectives|
|More information||Contact us, visit the Master's information evening or get a personalized brochure|