Become an expert in translating important societal questions from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare state, solidarity) into sociological research to evaluate policies and to serve as input for new policies. The Sociology Master focuses on the analysis of such social cohesion related issues, such as populism in politics, social contacts, and solidarity.
National Student Survey, 2017 | n=7
National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n=8
National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n=6
Program and courses
Central theme: politics, policy and society in a comparative perspective.
- Translate social problems into sociological research questions from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare state, solidarity). Analyze these questions with the aid of theories and advanced research methods, and evaluate and develop policy based on the results.
- Taught in small, interactive workgroups with excellent individual thesis supervision.
- The Extended Master adds one semester to the total program to provide you with a one-year traineeship position. Enhance your skills and gain relevant work experience.
- With the Double degree programs you have the opportunity to earn a degree from both Tilburg University and one of our partner universities:
- Double degree in Sociology and Social Research - Tilburg University and University of Trento (Trento, Italy)
- Double degree in Sociology and Population Studies – Tilburg University and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain)
Typical courses are:
- Social Capital: Networks Resources and Attitudes
- The Social Structure of Western Societies
- Social Policy and Social Risks
Sociology is a broad program that can lead to employment in a wide range of fields and jobs both within the Netherlands and beyond, ranging from government institutions to private companies and research agencies. Work in fields such as labor and employment, culture, welfare, recreation, education, or health care. Interested in business, marketing or journalism? The Guardian states that Sociology gives you a head-start, listing a range of specific abilities and skills.
Graduates started or work for example as:
- Policy Officer at Ministerie van Veiligheid en Justitie
- Health care research | Primary care | Data-analist | at NIVEL
- Policy advisor at the Catharina Hospital
- Average number of months until first paid job: 3
- Finds a job within 4 months after graduation: 100%
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: €2,168
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n=8
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
Sociology, Psychology, Social Geography, Anthropology, Culture Studies, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Available for both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO). The Pre-Master's program starts end of August and end of January.
Tuition fees academic year 2018-2019
|€ 2,060*||€ 14,500|
* The EU rate only applies if you enroll for the program without a Master's degree from a Dutch university. More information about the tuition fees and scholarships available for international students.
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
To be announced
Trial lectures Master's programs Tilburg University
Are you interested in one of our Master's programs and do you want to experience what it's like to follow this program at Tilburg University? Then follow a trial lecture of the Master's program of your choice! You can follow a trial lecture from November 1st until December 31st 2018.
10:00 - 14:45
Open day Master's programs
The Open day on Saturday 17 November 2018 offers you the opportunity to get acquainted with our English taught (Pre-)Master's programs, get a taste of the atmosphere at our campus and speak with current students, lecturers and academic advisors.
Interested in the MSc Sociology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application