Statelessness course 2017
|Course period||31 July - 4 August 2017|
|Max. participants||30 participants|
|Course leader||Dr. Laura van Waas|
|Target group||Geographically mixed; experience in working with issues related to statelessness; from academia, legal practice, UN agencies, NGOs, research institutes, government|
|Schedule||will be available soon|
|Course fee||€ 950|
- Course aims
- Course information
- Course materials
- Course specifics
- Application procedure
- More information
The course aims to consider statelessness and the right to nationality from various angles. It will deal with legal and policy issues associated with statelessness. The status of stateless persons, their human rights and international protection will be addressed, as well as ways to research and document statelessness. The course will draw on experiences from many places around the world.
The course provides participants with new knowledge, tools and skills to address statelessness and enforce the right to nationality. The curriculum is taught by lecturers from a variety of backgrounds, both professionally and geographically, all of whom are internationally recognized experts with many years of experience working on statelessness. Participants from all over the world engage actively in the different sessions, with several opportunities throughout the week to work in smaller teams and focus specifically on their own area of interest, e.g. through assignments designed to develop strategic ideas on research, advocacy or litigation. As such, the participants will benefit from the knowledge and professional experience of both the lecturers and their fellow participants.
A reader with course materials will be provided by the university and some material will be provided before the commencement of the course.
As both the sessions and the course materials will be in English, applicants should have proficiency in the English language. Applicants are not required to provide proof of language proficiency, however as a rule Foreign-language English speakers should be able to obtain a score of 7.0 in ELTS/IELTS or 570 in TOEFL as a minimum in order to feel confident that they can actively participate in the course in English.
Eligible candidates have experience in working on issues related to citizenship and statelessness, or significant experience in a related field such as minority rights, migration, forced displacement or child protection and an interest in the issue of statelessness. Such work experience may have been gained in NGOs, inter-governmental organizations, governments or research institutes and universities.
- Course participants are selected on a competitive basis. You can apply for the course online via http://www.institutesi.org/forum/courses.php. The application process will be open from January 2017 until the application deadline
- Please add your CV and a completed course application form as an attachment in your email.
- The closing date for applications is 15 April 2017.
- All applicants will receive notice as to whether they have been selected for the course by 30 April 2017.
- Registration closed
- Tilburg University reserves the right to cancel the course in case of an insufficient number of participants.
The course fee is € 950.
- This covers all weekday lunches, tuition, course materials, and a closing dinner.
- Other evening and weekend meals are not included in the course fee.
- A limited number of reduced-tuition places are available for applicants who are able to demonstrate how their work would benefit from participation in the course, but who would otherwise be unable to participate.
- Note that all reduced-tuition positions are highly competitive and we strongly encourage you to seek alternative funding to secure your participation in the course.
- All participants must cover their own costs for traveling to and accommodation in Tilburg for the duration of the course.
When selected we will provide participants with options for hotels.
For more information or to request an application form for the course, please send an e-mail to: email@example.com