Achieve your Master's diploma in Sociology in 1,5 year!
The Premaster's program Sociology is a half-year English-taught program of study (30
ECTS) that prepares students for the one-year English taught Master's program Sociology.
As of the start of the new academic year 2016-2017 the Premaster Sociology will consist of 30 ECTS and will last half a year. There will be two intake moments; the first intake moment will be at the end of August 2016 and the second intake moment will be at the end of January 2017. On successful completing of the Premaster's program, you will automatically be accepted onto the Master's program Sociology (two intake moments). Successful completion of both programs makes it possible to achieve your Master's diploma in 1,5 year.
This Premaster's program is a half-year program of study (30 ECTS) aimed at improving your knowledge and skill level within the field of Sociology. Courses followed include specific areas within the field, as well as courses in statistics and research methodology. In general:
- 18 ECTS will be earned in courses specifically related to sociology (including academic skills)
- 9 ECTS will be earned in statistics and research methodology courses
- 3 ECTS will be earned in research lab courses
Applicants will be accepted onto the Premaster program if either the level of their previous academic program does not meet the required level to enter the Master program directly (for example, a Bachelor's degree from a University of Applied Science or equivalent), or if the academic content of the previous academic program does not match the requirements for direct entry into the Master program.
On successful completion of this program (30 ECTS), you will automatically be accepted onto the Master's program in Sociology for the subsequent academic year.
International applicants will be informed in the
acceptance letter as to whether you have been accepted onto the
Premaster or Master program.
Program structure and courses
The Premaster's program Sociology consists of 30 credits (ECTS), equivalent to 840 hours
of study, divided into two units. All courses for the Premaster's program will be
taught in English. The Premaster's program in Sociology has two intake moments. Students can start the Premaster's program at the end of August (first intake moment) or at the end of January (second intake moment). The students follow slightly different programs.
Courses first intake moment: start August
Unit 1 (August-October)
- Research Methods for the Social Sciences - fall: 3 ECTS
- Academic Skills Pre-master Sociology - fall: 1 ECTS
- Introduction to Sociology - fall: 5 ECTS
- Social consequences of the internet: 6 ECTS
Unit 2 (October-December)
- Research Methods for the Social Sciences - fall: 6 ECTS
- Contemporary Sociological Theories: 6 ECTS
- Research Paper Pre-master Sociology - fall: 3 ECTS
Total: 30 ECTS
Courses second intake moment: start January
Unit 3 (January-March)
- Research Methods for the Social Sciences - spring: 3 ECTS
- Academic Skills Pre-master Sociology - spring: 1 ECTS
- Introduction to Sociology - spring: 5 ECTS
- National and Regional Identities: 6 ECTS
Unit 4 (March-June)
- Research Methods for the Social Sciences - spring: 6 ECTS
- Classical and Modern Sociology in Action: 6 ECTS
- Research Paper Pre-master Sociology - spring: 3 ECTS
Total: 30 ECTS
For more information about the individual courses above, please go to the Electronic Study Guide.
Admission and Application procedure for the Premaster's program in Sociology
If you want to apply for admission to the half-year Premaster's program in Sociology please follow the application process for students with a Dutch nationality AND HBO Bachelor's diploma.
Only Dutch HBO graduates can apply directly to the Premaster's program in Sociology.
Ask our mailstudent Tom your questions about the Premaster's Program in Sociology and what it's like to study at Tilburg University.