CentER is a world-class research institute that draws on the academic expertise of some of the most outstanding minds in the field of economics and business.

Center logo



CentER offers several possibilities to fund your studies. You can either apply for a scholarship or for a student assistant position. Moreover, CentER reimburses several student-related activities.


As a Research Master’s or PhD student, you may receive reimbursements for certain activities. For more information, please contact the Graduate Office.

Reimbursements by CentER

  • Ambassadorship (Research Master/PhD)
  • Editing services (PhD)
  • Job Market travel costs (PhD)
  • Dissertation printing costs (PhD)
  • Travel costs for LNMB courses (Research Master/PhD)

Reimbursements by departments

  • Conference and Summer School visits (PhD)

Student Assistantships

Research & Teaching assistantship

The two common student assistantships are Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA). As a RA you assist faculty members with their research by, for example, gathering data or doing analysis. As a TA, on the other hand, you assist in courses by, for example, checking assignments or exams. Each department decides if there are RA or TA positions available. You can contact the Head of Department via the secretary for available positions:

Please note that non-EEA students need a work permit before they can start working as a student assistant.



Students currently enrolled in the Research Master’s or PhD program are encouraged to act as an ambassador for the CentER Graduate Program. As an ambassador, you will receive a maximum travel reimbursement of €250 (depending on the amount you spent). On this page you can find the procedure on how to become an ambassador.


  1. If you are interested in being an ambassador, you can apply by sending the following information before the deadline mentioned in the e-mail:
    • Your name and the name of the program you are following
    • The date(s) on which you want to make the Ambassador Visit
    • The university or universities (name of university, city and country) you want to visit
  2. The Graduate Office will inform you whether your proposed visit is approved. Please note that the application deadline for new students is set on April 1st, each year, so the best timing to give a presentation would be in the fall or winter.
  3. After your return, you have to hand in the following items at the Graduate Office:
    • The completely filled out reimbursement form together with the original travel documents/receipts (e.g. airplane or train tickets), or e- tickets and the original boarding passes
    • Proof issued by the visited university that you gave your presentation
    • A short report on the university visit, containing:
      • the name of the university
      • the date the presentation took place
      • he approximate number of students that attended the presentation
      • feedback (positive or negative) you have received from the students that attended the presentation
      • if possible, the e-mail address of the contact person within the visited university
  4. It will take a couple of weeks before the actual payment will be made to you.