Understanding Society

Tilburg University has been a reliable provider of high-quality education and research for more than eighty years. We specialize in the social sciences and humanities and we seek to make a structural contribution to society.

CentER Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Track GRE or GMAT required?
Accounting Either GRE or GMAT
Econometrics GRE only
Finance Either GRE or GMAT
Information Management Either GRE or GMAT
Macroeconomics GRE only
Marketing Either GRE or GMAT
Microeconomics GRE only
Operations Research Either GRE or GMAT
Organization & Strategy Either GRE or GMAT

Test Scores

What entrance exams are required for admission to CentER?

All students applying for admission to CentER graduate programs must take either the GRE or the GMAT. Applications that do not include GRE/GMAT scores will not be considered. (See table above for requirements)

Why are the GRE and GMAT compulsory?
The GRE/GMAT scores are considered to be an indicator of likely success in graduate level programs as they demonstrate an applicant's ability to think clearly and analytically. In addition, because we receive applications for admission from all over the world and from a wide variety of educational systems and standards, the GRE/GMAT provides a uniform method by which we can gauge academic preparedness and general knowledge considered fundamental to the rigors of a graduate school education.

What is the minimum GRE/GMAT score required for admission to CentER?
In general, we require a score of 90% or higher on the quantitative section of the GRE or 90% or higher on the total score of the GMAT. It is very rare that an applicant with a score below 85% is accepted, unless there are very strong counter-balancing factors, such as an outstanding undergraduate academic performance, or compelling evidence of extenuating circumstances.

Is it possible to get an exemption from the GRE/GMAT requirement?                             

ALL applicants for admission to CentER must take the GRE or GMAT. In the interest of fairness and to ensure that all applications are considered equally, these test scores are compulsory.

What are the minimum English language test scores required for admission to CentER?

  • Academic IELTS: a minimum of 7.0 overall and 6.5 on parts;
  • TOEFL: paper-based: a minimum of 600, internet-based: a minimum of 100;
  • Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): a minimum level of B, or a
  • Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)

Can I get an exemption for the English language test?
You can get an exemption for the English language test if you meet at least one of the following requirements:

  1. If you are a native English speaker, i.e. if you are a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
  2. If you completed a 3-years Academic Bachelor’s program (of at least 180 ECTS credits) fully in English in an accredited Research University in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
  3. If you are citizen of The Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, India and Singapore and if you have completed a 3-years Academic Bachelor’s program (of at least 180 ECTS credits) fully in English in an accredited Research University.

Are copies rather than originals of GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL results accepted?

If you are getting close to the application deadline, you may upload the unofficial test score. However if you are admitted to CentER, you have to send us the official test score in order to be accepted to our programs. The GRE institution code for Tilburg University is 0730.

Can I apply for enrollment at CentER before taking the GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL?
No, however you may apply with your provisional test scores. You do not have to wait until you receive the official scores before applying. The GMAT institution code for Tilburg University is VMV-LT-02.

Where can I get information on preparing for and taking the GRE?
Information on preparing for and registering to take the GRE can be found at: http://www.ets.org/gre.

Where can I get information on preparing for and taking the GMAT?
Information on preparing for and registering to take the GMAT can be found at: http://www.mba.com/mba/takethegmat.

Where can I get information on taking the IELTS?
Information on IELTS is available at www.ielts.org. Please note that we require you to take the academic part of this test.

Where can I get information on taking the TOEFL?
Information on TOEFL is available at www.toefl.org. The TOEFL institution code for Tilburg University is 9860.

What is the minimum IELTS score required for admission to CentER?
We require a minimum score of 7.0 in the Academic IELTS test and no section below 6.5.

What is the minimum TOEFL score required for admission to CentER?
To be admitted to our program, candidates must have scored at least 600 in the TOEFL paper based test, or 100 in the TOEFL internet based test.

What are the institution codes for GRE/GMAT?
The GMAT institution code for Tilburg University is VMV-LT-92. The GRE institution code for Tilburg University is 0730.

My GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL test results are older than five years. Will they be accepted?
No. Any test results older than five years can unfortunately not be accepted. Please make arrangements to re-take these tests.

Back to top

Application Procedure

How do I apply for admission to CentER graduate programs?
Visit the application webpage and follow the instructions.

When are the application deadlines?
The application deadlines are as follows:

  • February 1 for all Research Master applicants seeking funding.
  • April 1 for all Research Master applicants who do not require funding.

Do I have to have completed my undergraduate degree before applying to CentER?
You may submit your application before completing your degree as long as you have satisfactorily completed it by August 31st of the year of admission.

Does CentER admit students year-round?
No, students are admitted once a year - in Spring for the beginning of the academic year in the Fall.

How long does the application process take and when can I expect to be notified if my application has been approved?
The Admissions Committee will assess the complete application packages immediately after the deadline. The entire assessment procedure will take up to 6 weeks after the deadline. The Graduate Officer will inform you about the Admission Committee’s decision regarding your application

How many and what types of references are required?

Two personal references are required: at least one from a college or university professor or other person who can attest to your academic capabilities.

Should my referees send their letters directly to CentER or can they be included with my application?
You can invite your referees to upload the documents using the online application system.

I have been denied admission; is it possible to re-apply?
The selection committee will reconsider a previously denied application only if circumstances have changed significantly since the initial application - for example, substantially improved GRE/GMAT scores or additional qualifications.

Is it possible to take individual courses offered at CentER without being enrolled in a degree program?
Yes, qualified individuals who are not enrolled in a degree program can enroll in CentER courses. A fee per course will be charged.

Back to top


What are the tuition fees for CentER's graduate programs?

Tuition fees for Research Master programs for the academic year 2016/2017 will be as follows:
€2,044 for European Economic Area (EEA) citizens; €14,500* for non-EEA citizens.
*Due to generous subsidies, excellent students from non-European Economic Area countries will receive substantial waiver reductions of up to €12,456 so that only the legal minimum fee of €2,044 is paid.

Note that EEA students who have already obtained a Masters' degree at a Dutch institution have to pay €13,000 instead of €1,951. However students can request CentER to waive this amount to €1,951.

PhD students are considered employees of Tilburg University, and as such, are not required to pay a tuition fee.

Are scholarships or financial aid available?
Yes. You can find detailed information on the scholarship webpage.

Is it possible to get a waiver of the tuition fees?
All non-EEA students admitted to CentER are automatically granted a partial tuition fee waiver.

Am I allowed to seek paid employment while pursuing a degree at CentER?
Due to the intensive nature of the programs, most Research Master students are discouraged from working. However, Research Master students in possession of a student visa are allowed to work up to a maximum of 10 hours per week for a maximum of 48 weeks per year (or to have a full time job during the summer months). If you are a student from outside the Netherlands and are offered a teaching or research assistant's position for more than 10 hours per week, you will need to apply for a work visa through the University personnel office. This is a time-consuming process, which must be completed before commencing work. The regulations governing work permits vary depending on your country of origin. You can get further details from the University personnel office if and when the need arises.

PhD candidates are considered employees of Tilburg University and receive a monthly salary based on a structure that adheres to collective bargaining agreements between the University and the labor unions representing University employees. All of the necessary documentation, including work permits, will be taken care of by the University personnel office.

Back to top

Post-admission Procedure

I have been accepted for admission to CentER; what do I do next?

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on meeting CentER's rigorous standards for acceptance! If you accept our conditional offer of admission, please notify us via email before the deadline mentioned in the letter. Upon your acceptance we will provide you with the details of enrollment via e-mail and post.

Back to top


What types of insurance coverage are required?

All students must have adequate medical insurance for the duration of their stay in the Netherlands. Foreign students can arrange for their own insurance through private or state insurance carriers in their home countries. Those who are unable to obtain such coverage may apply for comprehensive medical and liability insurance through IPS (Insurance Passport for Students) or AON Student Insurance. Without proof of insurance you will not be able to obtain a visa to study in the Netherlands. For information on IPS or AON insurance coverages and premiums, visit the IPS website or AON website.

Back to top


Do I need a visa to enroll at CentER?
Non-EEA students will need a visa to stay in the Netherlands during their course of study, and the Immigration Office will arrange this for you once you have been accepted.

How much does the visa cost and to whom is it paid?
You do not have to pay anything when you collect your visa from the Dutch consular office in your home country. However, after you arrive in the Netherlands you will be required to register with the Immigration division of the local police department, where you will be required to pay approximately €300 in administrative costs.

Back to top

Bank account

How do I open a bank account?

On your arrival in Tilburg you will receive an application form to open a bank account. An appointment will be arranged for you with the ABN AMRO bank in Tilburg, where you will receive a bank card, which can be used for cash withdrawals in the Netherlands. Those traveling outside the Netherlands should bring a bankcard or credit card from home.

Back to top