Board grants


  • You need to request the grant individually at the end of the academic year, between 1 and 30 September. Please note: if you are no longer registered as a Tilburg University student on 1 September, send an e-mail to, mentioning your name, your (old) administration number, the number of grants you are entitled to, and your bank account number.
  • You can only request a grant if you have been active in a board, association, or representative council liaised to Tilburg University and have been officially nominated by that council or association.
  • During your board year, you need to have been registered as a full-time student at Tilburg University from September to June and have paid tuition at Tilburg University.
  • Were you in a program committee? Then you need to have been a member for the entire academic year in order to claim your grant.
  • You do not need to be entitled to government study financing: foreign students, post-HBO, and all full-time students are eligible, irrespective of their year. Only part-time students are excluded.
  • Per academic year, you cannot be awarded more than nine grants with a maximum of 24 grants covering your entire period of studies.
  • You can only request a grant at the end of the academic year in question. Request for previous years will not be considered.
  • Are you a Bachelor's student in your first year? Then your extracurricular activities should not be at the expense of your study progress. That is why for first year Bachelor's students, a maximum of two grants are available, on the condition that you obtain at least 42 ECTS during your first year.

The official text has been published in the Student Statute, appendix 2, Chapter 1, article 10 of the Profile Fund. The conditions are stated in Article 4.


The grant amounts to 300 Euros per grant/per month. These grants, like your student grant, are taxed as income, as far as the amount of the grant exceeds the amount of the grant you might receive from DUO. If you request for tax return because of a side job, the grant might influence the tax return. More information at the website of the Dutch tax office.

If you deduct study costs or if your parents deduct their contribution to your study costs, the grant is considered income. The amount of your grant is then deducted from the study costs. The remainder of your study costs is deductable. In other words, only the amount of study costs higher than your grant can be fiscally deductible as exceptional expenses. This is important especially for students without a basic study grant.

The number of board months for different representative functions is based on workload plus so-called 'vacatiegeld' (this is the compensation your receive for executing your board function) paid out by the School. Any differences are compensated by the 'vacatiegeld'.