Studying and Student life

Further preparations

After you have applied to the Partner University, you will receive an acceptance letter (or email). Once you have received official proof of your acceptance you can continue with more practical matters before you leave.

Have a look at the brief checklist below, and go ahead and roll up your sleeves:

  1. Get a visa or work permit.
  2. In some countries you will stay on campus, in others you may need to look for a room in town, you will stay with a host family or you will trade rooms with a student who is coming to Tilburg. The sooner you arrange your housing, the more likely it is that you’ll find the ideal accommodations.
  3. Book your ticket. You can obtain a discount through
  4. Get proper travel and health insurance, since medical facilities are often quite expensive.
  5. Any required vaccinations? Do not wait too long.
  6. Emergency preparations.
  7. Looking for more information?
Finished checking off all these tasks? From now on you will be exchange-proof. All you need to do now is pack your bags: the world is waiting to be conquered, and you’re the one to do it!


For some countries, especially outside Europe, Dutch students are required to apply for a student visa. You will have to go to the embassy of the specific country in the Netherlands to arrange a visa for the country you are travelling to. In some cases, you will need to arrange a visa upon arrival at your host university. Please bear in mind that you need a student visa for the entire period of your exchange and not a tourist visa.

In some cases, you will need official proof from your host university stating that you will be studying for one semester at their university. For some countries you already need to have booked your airplane ticket to prove that you will not only enter, but also leave the country.

Please start on time, because sometimes it takes quite a lot of processing time before you receive your visa. Most partner universities will inform you of what needs to be done to apply for your visa, so make sure you follow their instructions! For international students going on exchange, please always check whether you need to apply for a student visa at the host university or whether your Dutch residence permit will be sufficient.


Whether the host university offers help in finding accommodation will depend on the university in question. Some host universities offer accommodation on campus, but not all. Usually you will receive some information on housing, but please check whether the host university will arrange somewhere for you to live or whether you will have to do it yourself. Please bear in mind that we cannot help you when it comes to housing, you will have to ask for help or information at the host university.

Some universities offer the opportunity to live with a host family or offer a list of accommodation possibilities in the surroundings of the campus. Please consider all options that you will be offered and check beforehand which neighborhoods are safe to live in and which are not.


In cooperation with Tilburg University offers all students a special discount on all flight reservations via is an independent online flight reservation website and is a member of IATA, ANVR and SGR.

In 5 steps you can make a reservation and receive an E-ticket as confirmation. Please use the promotional code “UniversiteitTilburg” in the 3rd step of the reservation procedure and you will receive a discount of 20 Euro per person. Payment is possible via iDeal (internet banking) and credit card.


Action code* : UniversiteitTilburg


  • The promotional code is not valid on discounted fares
  • You need to fill in the promotional code (UniversiteitTilburg) in step 3 of the booking procedure
  • The promotional code is only valid together with your university E-mail address


Health insurance

It is very important that you check whether your health insurance covers you while you are abroad. Many insurance companies have limited coverage abroad, for example with a maximum of 45 days. If that is the case, you will need to inquire whether you can extend your insurance package, or search for a good alternative. Tilburg University recommends the companies Lipmann and AON. It is specifically important that you inquire whether your health insurance covers treatments abroad and repatriation back to the Netherlands in the case of emergencies.

Travel insurance

We advise you to take a close look at your travel insurance policy and make sure you have complete coverage for medical costs, repatriation, legal assistance, travel assistance, luggage, household effects, civil liability and so on. Your insurance should cover you during the entire period of your stay abroad. Please remember to go to the police if you have been robbed, since your insurance company will require an official police report.


Always check a couple of months before departing whether vaccinations are required for the country you are traveling to, and if so, which. Please remember that during your exchange period you may also have to or want to travel in the surrounding area, so also check whether vaccinations are required for those destinations. Please check the specific information on vaccinations you might need.

Don’t forget to bring your medical (GGD) passport with you during your exchange. If something happens to you, medical staff need to be able to see which vaccinations you have had.

Besides the vaccinations that are required, also think about the medicine you need to bring with you just in case you get ill, such as painkillers, medicine for diarrhea, bandages, etc. An example of a checklist with recommended medicine to take with you during your journey can be found here:

Emergency preparations

Instructions for Tilburg students preparing for a study abroad:

Please read our Tilburg University Travel Abroad Safety & Security Checklist very carefully before your departure. 

  • Make sure that your family knows how and where to reach you abroad.
  • Give your family the contact information of your Exchange Coordinators at the host and your home institution.
  • Provide your home and host coordinator with a contact person in case of emergency.
  • Keep your family informed and give them full details if you decide to do a road trip.
  • Keep in touch with friends and family on a regular basis.
  • If there is an emergency, contact your family as soon as possible; if you cannot reach them, record a voicemail on your cell phone informing them that you are okay and that you will contact your family.
  • Print the emergency card from this webpage (see below) and put it in your wallet or purse.
  • Educate yourself about the country that you will travel to. If you plan to travel around, do the same for the other countries you intend to visit.
  • Inform Tilburg University’s student administration of your address in Tilburg and use the second address for contact information in case of emergency.
  • Make copies and scan all important documents (passport, insurance papers, bank card, address and the phone number of the Dutch Embassy in your exchange country). Put the emergency numbers in your cell phone. Save the documents in your inbox and send a copy of the mail with the attached documents to a family member.
  • Register with the Dutch embassy or consulate in your exchange country.
  • Get yourself an EHIC card in order to be covered for medical needs during your stay abroad, as a European citizen within the EEA (European Economic Area).

Place this emergency card in your wallet and have it with you at all times!

If there is an emergency while you are abroad, contact your home coordinator.

If you need to inform your home coordinator of any emergencies that occurred during your exchange period or if you need to let us know that you are safe after an emergency situation in your host country, please inform your coordinator by e-mail or phone during office hours.

Outside office hours call +31 13 466 3000 (This is the number of Security of Tilburg University and is available 24 hours per day; they will contact a staff member of the International Office if necessary).

When you call, ask for the name of the person to whom you are speaking, then give that person the following information:

  • Your name.
  • Your location (including the name of the country, city and location within the city).
  • A brief explanation of the problem, the type of help you need and how we can contact you (telephone number including the country code or e-mail address).

Important websites