Tilburg School of Humanities
Department of Philosophy
Expertise in the field of philosophy of mind, in particular the mind-body relation, (self)consciousness, personal identity and perception. The notions of a first person perspective and of the body as an active, self-moving organism form important themes. I defend and develop a naturalistic and non-reductionist position and argue for a double aspect theory by combining empirical findings with philosophical analysis.
Most recent publications
Ph.D. (Philosophy): University of Nijmegen (25-09-1986). Title of thesis: "Mens of machine? Het lichaam-geest probleem in de cogniteve psychologie". Supervisors: Prof. dr. C.E.M. Struyker Boudier, Prof. dr. G.A.M. Kempen, Prof. dr. A.A. Derksen
M.A. (Psychology): University of Amsterdam (1979)
B.A. (Philosophy): University of Amsterdam (1978)
B.A. (Psychology): University of Amsterdam (1976)
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Humanties, Department of Philosophy, Section General Epistemology and Philosophy of Science (1990- )
Assistant Professor, Nijmegen Institute for Cognitive Science, University of Nijmegen (1987-1990)
Junior Scientific Staff Member, Department of Philosophy, section Philosophical Anthropology, University of Nijmegen (1981-1987)
Research Assistant, Department of Philosophy, section Philosophy of Science, University of Amsterdam (1979-1980)
Research Assistant, Department of Humanities, section Dutch Language and Literature, University of Amsterdam (1979-1980)
Teaching Assistant, Department of Philosophy, section Philosophical Anthropology, University of Amsterdam
Most recent publications
The Objects of Perceptual Experience
Self-consciousness, Embodiment and the First Person Perspective
co-organizer Antwerp-Nijmegen-Tilburg workshop Mind & Cognition, December 12 and 13 2013
member NWO Free Competition Humanities Assessment Committee spring 2013
member and chair NWO Free Competition Humanities Assessment Committee fall 2013
foreign expert member Research Foundation Flanders, expert panel Theology, Philosophy and Religion Science
editor of het Algemeen Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Wijsbegeerte
reviewer for several journals, a.o. Consciousness and Cognition, International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, Journal of Consciousness Studies, Philosophical Explorations, Sophia, Theory and Psychology
W. Haselager, VU Amsterdam, 20-6-1995
member of PhD committee:
F. Wemelsfelder, RU Leiden, 16-6-1993
J.J.M. Sleutels, KU Nijmegen, 14-9-1994
P.R. Kribbe, KU Nijmegen, 22-10-1997
Chr. Buskes, KU Nijmegen, 17-11-1998
W. de Muijnck, UvT Tilburg, 18-10-2002
H. Dooremalen KU Nijmegen, 14-4-2003
supervisor first part of thesis:
T. van der Laar, RU Nijmegen, 18-06-2007
M. van Leeuwen, RU Nijmegen
?Persons, bodies and perspectives.? Vught 26-8-2003. International workshop Mind and Rationality van het onderzoeksprogramma Rationality and Cognition.
?Being what we are?, Heeswijk-Dinther, 3 juni 2005. International Metzinger workshop of the research program Rationality and Cognition.
?Where was I??, Joćo Pessoa, Brasil 20-10-2005. Fourth International Colloquium of Philosophy of Mind.
?Real people and virtual bodies?, Antwerpen 22-11-2007. Conference Phenomenal Consciousness and Self-Awareness of the Center for Philosophical Psychology, University of Antwerp.
?Extended mind? Reaction to Rowlands?, Tilburg 13-03-2008. Lustrum Conference The Magic of Body Language, Faculty of Humanities, Tilburg University.
?Descartes and Heidegger. Reaction to Wheeler?, Amsterdam 03-06-2008. Wheeler Workshop, Free University Amsterdam.
?Pictorial Space as testing Ground for Perceptual Theories? (with A.A. Derksen), Antwerp 06-11-2008. Conference Pictorial Representation and Visual Experience, the Center for Philosophical Psychology, University of Antwerp.
M.A.M.M. Meijsing teaches the following subjects:
- member of the editorial board (1992 - ) and review editor (January 1992 - July 1993) of the Algemeen Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Wijsbegeerte
- referee for several journals, a.o. Consciousness and Cognition, International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, Journal of Consciousness Studies, Philosophical Explorations, Sophia, Theory and Psychology
- member of the committee for program- and replacement subsidies of the Dutch Foundation for Philosophy and Theology, 1996-1998
- member of the NWO VENI committee 2007 - 2009
- member of the FWO philosophy committee 2009 - 2010
- foreign expert member Research Foundation Flanders, expert panel Theology, Philosophy and Religion Science 2010-
- member NWO Free Competition Humanities Assessment Committee spring 2013
- member and chair NWO Free Competition Humanities Assessment Committee fall 2013
- referee for NWO for several subsidy applications
- member of the Colloquium Doctum Committee, Faculty of Humanities, department of Philosophy (formerly Faculty of Philosophy), Tilburg University 1991 -
- member of the Examination Board Faculty of Humanities, department of Philosophy, Tilburg University 2007 -
- co-organizer Antwerp-Nijmegen-Tilburg workshop Mind & Cognition, December 12 and 13 2013
- care giving tasks
Room D 105
PO Box 90153
5000 LE Tilburg
Last amended: 18 December 2013