PhD Research: "The Impact of the international human rights framework on eradicating Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) in Senegal and Ethiopia."
Summary: FGM/C is one of the most harmful and widespread traditional practices experienced by women in Africa. The international community has recognized FGM/C as a fundamental violation of various human rights by means of numerous international human rights instruments. However, there is no significant decline in the prevalence of FGM/C and it seems that the actual impact of the international human rights framework is limited. Through legal analysis, literature research and an empirical study my PhD research will analyze why the international human rights framework has limited†impact and which factors influence this impact positively and/or negatively.
I presented the first Chapter of my PhD during a conference in Venice (Venice Academy of Human Rights) in July 2012. The title of my presentation was: 'Compliance with international human rights law?'
In July 2012, the McKinsey & Company grant of 5.000 euro was awarded. Part of my PhD research is a four-month field study in Senegal that will take place in 2013. The grant of Mc Kinsey & Company will (partly) finance this field study.
- Supervision of students' bachelor and master thesis
- Coordinator of the course Principles of Law for PhD students of Tilburg Law School, in cooperation with prof. dr. G.C.G.J. van Roermund
- Guest lectures
- Chair of the PhD Council of Tilburg Law School
- Member of the School of Human Rights Research
In addition, I am a researcher at†several†external research projects:
- Fonds Slachtofferhulp: De nationale ombudsman: een commissaris voor de slachtofferzorg?
- EIGE: A Study to Map the Current Situation and Trends of Female Genital Mutilation in 27 EU Member States and Croatia
- WODC: Onderzoek herziening wet tegemoetkoming schade bij rampen
June 2012: McKinsey & Company grant of 5.000 euro awarded for empirical research in Senegal.
2010-2011: LL.M Research Master in Law, Tilburg University (cum laude)
2009-2010: LL.M Public International Law and Human Rights, Tilburg University (cum laude)
2004-2008: LL.B International and European Law, Tilburg University
Room m 801
PO Box 90153
5000 LE Tilburg
Last amended: 08 March 2013