My fields of interest are: marketing communication, consumer behavior, and services marketing.
Most recent publications
1981-1982:Economic Psychology and Socio-Economics, University of Augsburg (Germany).
1975-1979:Psychology, University of Nijmegen (The Netherlands).
1979-1982:Economic Psychology, Tilburg University (The Netherlands).
1993-present: Professor of Marketing, Department of Marketing, Faculty of Economics and Business, Tilburg University
2000-2005:Head of Marketing Department, Tilburg University.
1991-1993:GvR-Professor of Marketing Communication, Department of Marketing and Marketing Research, Nyenrode University, Breukelen (the Netherlands).
1986-1993:Assistant Professor of Economic Psychology, Erasmus University, Rotterdam (the Netherlands).
1990-1991:Strategy Director, FCB*Prad Reclame-Adviesbureau, Beethovenstraat 198, 1077 JH Amsterdam (Advertising Agency).
1985:Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Missouri, Columbia (US), Department of Psychology (Fulbright Scholarship).
1983-1985:Research associate at the University of Leiden (The Netherlands), at Energy and Ecology Research, Department of Psychology.
1983-1985:Research associate at the Waste Management Project (WMP) of Tilburg University and the Technical University of Eindhoven (The Netherlands).
Most recent publications
2007-presentVisiting Research Fellow at the Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park (US).
2005:Visiting professor at the University of Auckland (NZ) (Spring semester).
1999: Visiting professor at the University of Florida (US) (Fall semester).
1993: Visiting professor at the University of Innsbruck (Austria) (Fall semester).
1990: Fulbright Scholarship
1990:Visiting Professor at the Pennsylvania State University, University Park (US), Department of Marketing
Member of Editorial Board
International Journal of Research in Marketing (1997-2007).
International Journal of Service Industry Management (1997-2001).
Journal of Consumer Policy (1997-present).
Journal of Consumer Research (1999-present).
Journal of Marketing (2003-present)
Journal of Marketing Research (2007-present).
Journal of Service Research (1997-2002).
AccreditationRanked in the Top-40 of Dutch Economists (based on academic output), 2003 (nr. 19), 2004 (nr. 8), 2005 (nr. 10), 2006 (nr. 5).
Ad-hoc reviewer for (among others):
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Psychological Science, Marketing Science, Journal of Business Research, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Advertising, Public Opinion Quarterly, Journal of Classification.
Dissertation chairBougie, J.R.G. (Roger) (2004), Consumed with Anger: Negative Emotions in Service Consumption Settings, Tilburg University.
van Herpen, H.W.I. (Erica) (2001), Consumers' Perceptions and Evaluations of Store Assortments, Tilburg University.
Van der Lans, R. (Ralf) (2006), Brand Search, Tilburg University (cum Laude) (with M. Wedel).
Louro, M. (Maria) (2006), Leaving Pleasure. Positive Emotions and Goal-Directed Behavior, Tilburg University (cum Laude) (with M. Zeelenberg).
Roest, H.C.A. (Henk) (1998), Service Quality Expectations; Assessment and Management, Tilburg University.
Rosbergen, E. (Edward) (1998), Modeling Attention to Advertising, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (with M. Wedel).
Vale do Coelho, R.M.R.D (Rita) (2007),Consumption Breakdowns: On Avoiding and Embracing Temptations, Tilburg University (with M. Zeelenberg).
Wetzer, I.M. (Inge), (2007), Let's Talk about it: Studies on the Social Sharing of Emotions, Tilburg University (with M. Zeelenberg).
Woltman Elpers J.L.C.M. (Josephine) (2003), Consumers' Moment to Moment Processing of Television Commercials, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (with M. Wedel).
F.G.M. (Rik) Pieters teaches the following subjects:
- Structural Equation Modeling for Business and Economics (CentER)(230384)More information
- Survey Methodology(328036)More information
Teaching activities elsewhere
- Erasmus University: Graduate and Undergraduate courses in Economic Psychology, Consumer Behavior, Marketing Communication (1986 - 1993).
- European Institute of Advanced Studies in Management (EIASM, Brussels, Fall 1997)
- PhD-course in Consumer Behavior.Leiden University: Participation in Master courses in Social Psychology (Persuasion and Reasoned Action) 1988-1990).
- Nijenrode University: Undergraduate course in Marketing Communication. MBA and Executive MBA teaching in Marketing Communication and Communication Strategy (1991-1993).
- Pennsylvania State University: Undergraduate course in Advertising and Promotion Management (Fall 1990).
- Tilburg University: (1993-present): Master and PhD courses in survey methodology, services marketing, consumer behavior. Executive MBA courses in Marketing, Branding and Positioning, Services Marketing (TIAS-Nimbas Business School).
- University of Auckland: Master course in Consumer Behavior (Spring 2005).
- Universität Inssbruck: Undergraduate and graduate courses in Consumer Behavior (Fall 1993).
- University of Murcia (Spring 1995 and 1996): MBA-course in International Marketing.
- University of Vaasa (Spring 1996): PhD-course in Consumer Behavior.
Occasional consultant for (among others):Philips Nederland (cultural and sports sponsoring policies, High-Tech Campus), Procter & Gamble (Brussels, Cincinatti: Packaging design testing), Campina-Melkunie (New product development), Ministery of VROM (Environment: customer segmentation, longitudinal tracking of consumer attitudes, communication policies), ABN-AMRO (customer satisfaction measurement), Rabobank (customer selection), ARA (Ad agency: campaign development), FCB (Ad agency: Campaign development), NVM (Dutch organization for real estate agents: improving customer service), PMW (Pauselijke Missie Werken: positioning), Verify (development of new consumer measurement methods).
Room K 1008
PO Box 90153 5000 LE Tilburg
|Phone||+31 13 466 3256|
|Secretary||+31 13 466 3022|
Tilburg School of Economics and Management
Department of Marketing