Henk Akkermans's research addresses the issue of how interorganizational supply chains and networks, where no single party exerts full control, can nevertheless effectively co-ordinate their behavior. His focus is on technical, innovation-driven sectors (such as electronics, aerospace, telecom, process industry and the maritime sector), but also on health care and public infrastructure.
Henk Akkermans is fundamentally interested in the interactions between shop floor operations and customer demand, and in the roles that management information and cognitive limitations in decision-making play in this. His interest stretches all the way from new product/service development onto maintenance, repair & overhaul activities. In order to obtain deeper insight in these complex issues, he develops system dynamics simulation models of real-world settings.
Henk Akkermans has a special interest in the role of Japan in international business and in the exceptional importance of smart maintenance for our present-day economy. He is also the director of the World Class Maintenance foundation in Breda.
Most recent publications
My updatesTweets van HenkAkkermans
- 1990-1995: Ph. D.in Technology Management at Eindhoven University of Technology Thesis title: Modelling with Managers. Participative Business Modelling for Effective Strategic Decision-Making. June 27, 1995 Advisor: Prof. Joan van Aken
- 1983-1987: Master in Information Management, Tilburg University
- 1982-1988: Master in Japanese language and Culture, Leiden University
- 1976-1982: Gymnasium B, St. Odulphus Lyceum, Tilburg
Professor, Supply Network Dynamics, Tilburg University TiSEM
Academic Director, Dutch Institute for World Calss Maintenance, Breda
Independent consultant, Research in Business BV
- 2000-2006: Minase BV, Tilburg
- 2000-2004: Eindhoven University of Technology, Dept. Technology Management, Eindhoven
- 1996- 2000:Origin, Business Consulting, Eindhoven and Breda
- 1995-1996: McKinsey & Co, Amsterdam, Chicago & Houston
- 1991-1995: BSO, Business Consulting, Breda and Utrecht
- 1990-1995: Eindhoven University of Technology, Dept. Technology Management, Eindhoven
- 1988-1990: Utrecht University, Dept. Social Sciences, Utrecht
- 1987- 1988: Philips International, Corporate IT, Eindhoven
Most recent publications
Henk Akkermans teaches the course Supply Chain Modelling, a rqequired course for both the Master Supply Chain Management and the Master Information Management. For this course his e-book Supply Chain Dynamics (2015, ISBN 978-94-002-1608-2) is used See also www.supplychaindynamics.org
Teaching activities elsewhere
Henk Akkermans is since 2012 the academic director of the World Class Maintenance Summer School (www.wcmsummerschool.org)
He also teaches Supply Chain Dynamics withing the Executive MBA SCM of TIASNimbas
The Chair in Supply Chain Management is being sponsored by the municipality of Tilburg, with special focus on Smart Industry / Digital Manufacturing
Henk Akkermans is also the general director of the World Class Maintenance foundation in Breda.
Next to his professorship, Henk Akkermans is also an independent consultant and writer in the field of supply network dynamics. In the past two years, he has worked as a consultant for companies such as ASML, Damen Shipyards, ENECO, Havenbedrijf Rotterdam, KLM, KPN Telecom, Nedtrain, Marel, Stork en TiasNimbas.