Most recent publications
- Tilburg University, PhD, Economics, 1994
- Brabants Conservatorium, BA music (organ), 1991
- Tilburg University, Drs. (cf. MA), Economics, 1990
- Present Full Professor of Economics Tilburg University, since April 2006 (on leave 2006-2008)
- Ajunct Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, University of Calgary, since December 2008.
- Full Professor of Economics and Svare Chair of Energy Systems Analysis, Department of Economics and Institute for Sustainable Energy, Environment and the Economy, University of Calgary, 2006-2008
- Associate Professor of Economics, Faculty of Economics, Tilburg University, April 2001 to April 2006 (tenured as of May 2002).
- Fellow Royal Dutch Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), April 1999 to March 2004
- Fellow Netherlands Network of Economics (NAKE), 1998 to present.
- Fellow CentER Graduate School, Tilburg University, September 1994 to present.
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Faculty of Economics, Stanford University, USA, September 1995 to June 1996
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Faculty of Economics, Tilburg University, May 1994 to March 2001
Most recent publications
- "Academie-onderzoeker" Royal Dutch Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), April 1999 to March 2004 (5 years full salary).
- "persoonsgerichte post-doc subsidie" NWO (Dutch Scientific Research) research grant, July 1996 - June 1998 (2 years full salary).
Malik Curuk. ?Essays on Economic Growth and International Trade?. PhD defence October 2014 (Malik is currently postdoc at Tilburg University).
Gerard van der Meijden. ?The Macroeconomic Dynamics of Trade Liberalization, Resource Exploitation, and Backstop Technologies? Tilburg University, PhD Defence May 15, 2013. (Jenny Ligthart? was original promotor; Gerard is currently at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam)
Christian Bogmans. ?Essays on International Trade and the Environment.? Tilburg University, PhD defence June 1, 2011. (currently at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam)
Armando Zavaleta ?Government, Lobbies, International Cooperation and the Environment?, University of Calgary December 2011 (co-supervisor; Joanne Roberts supervisor)
Itzi Lazkano. University of Calgary, ??Intergenerational externalities, Economic Growth and the Environment?. June 2011 ((co-supervisor; Francisco Gonzales supervisor; Itzi is currently at Department of Economics at University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee).
Piotr Stryszowski. ?Essays on Growth and Migration? Tilburg University. PhD Defence December 2009. (currently at OECD, Paris).
Juan Moreno-Cruz. ?Essays on the economics of Geoengineering? Defended at University of Calgary, December 2009.(currently at Georgia Tech)
Edwin van der Werf ?Climate change policy and endogenous technological change?. PhD defence December 5, 2008. (currently at Wageningen Research University)
Corrado Di Maria ?Choosing the direction: Essays on Directed Technical Change, Trade and the Environment?. PhD defence October 27, 2006. (currently at University of East Anglia)
Martin Kahanec ?Essays on Social Interaction and Earnings Inequality?. Defended February 2006. (currently at Central European University, Budapest)
Member Ph.D. dissertation committees
- Augustin Pérez-Barahona, "Economic growth and the use of non-renewable energy resources", CORE, Louvain-la-Neuve, October 2006
- Alexandra Leitao, Universidade Nova Lisboa, May 2006
- Bas Straathof, Maastricht University, April 2005
- Frédéric Tournemaine "Capital humain, financement de la recherche, fécondité et croissance économique" Université de Toulouse 1, March 2004
- Bas van Groezen "The Wealth of Generations; Ageing, Pensions, and Welfare from a Macroeconomic Perspective" Tilburg University 2003
- David Vávra "Essays in International Economics" CERGE-EI Prague, 2003.
- Luc Rougé "Ressources Non-renouvelables, Pollution et Croissance", Université de Toulouse I, 2002
- Sangeeta Bansal "Environmental Regulation in the Presence of Environmnetally Conscious Consumers", Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi, 2002
- Richard Nahuis "Knowledge and Economic Growth", Tilburg University, 2000
- Poul Schou "Endogenous Growth, Nonrenewable Resources and Environmental Problems", Copenhagen University, 1999
- Rob Aalbers "On the Implications of Thresholds for Economic Science and Environmental Policy", Tilburg University, 1999
- Erik Canton ""Economic Growth and Business Cycles", Tilburg University, 1997
- Co-chair Scientific Program Committee, 4th World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists, Montreal June/July 2010.
- International Conference "Sustainable resource use and Economic Dynamics" Ascona, Switzerland, June 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, in collaboration with ETH Zuerich.
- Symposium "Waarden en Normen in de economie", Tilburg, 23 March 2001.
- International conference "Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade, IV", Tilburg University, in collaboration with Copenhagen Business School, July 1999. Symposium "Groei en Instituties", Tilburg, February 1997.
Invited lectures, conference and workshop presentations
"Sustainability and Wealth Accounting" Invited lecture at WIFO, Vienna, November 2013.
New Industrial Revolution conference, The RSA, London October 1, 2013, invited lecture.
Grantham Research Institute/Global Green Growth Institute Green Growth, macroeconomics workshop, London September 30, 2013, invited lecture.
SEEK Workshop Dublin, September 2013, invited lecture.
20th Annual conference EAERE, Toulouse, June 2013.
Growth and Macroeconomics Workshop, Sophia Antipolis, June 2013, invited lecture.
Staff Seminar, Institute for the World Economy, Kiel, March 2013, invited lecture.
Oxcarre seminar, Oxford University, February 2013, invited lecture.
Research seminar, University of Cologne, November 2012, invited lecture.
Final conference of the PAKT project ?Economics of an integrated and long-term climate and energy policy? Potsdam, November 2012. Keynote lecture.
SEEK Workshop ZEW Mannheim, September 2012.
19th Annual conference EAERE, Prague, June 2012.
Paris Environmental and Energy Economics Seminar, March 2012, invited lecture.
Worldbank conference on Green Growth, Mexico City, January 2012, invited lecture.
Research seminar Department of Economics, University of Birmingham, November 2011, invited.
Research seminar IIES Stockholm, October 2011, invited.
2011 Environmental Economics and Climate Change (EECC) Workshop at University of British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver, September 2011, invited lecture.
18th Annual conference EAERE, Rome, June 2011.
Research seminar, University Siegen, Germany, June 2011, invited lecture.
Conference ?Macro Economics and the Environment: Climate Change, Policy Design, and Sustainability?. Arizona State University, May 2011, invited lecture.
OECD-WB Conference ?Challenges and policies for promoting inclusive growth?, Paris March 2011, invited lecture.
ZEW/PIK Workshop Modeling Economic Growth in Integrated Assessment, Potsdam December 2010, invited lecture.
Area Conference on Energy and Climate Economics, CES-Ifo, Munich October 2010.
Sjak Smulders has taught Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Growth theory, Environmental economics, Trade, Economy and culture (in the Liberal Arts programm) at Bachelor, MSc, and Research Master level.
J.A.Smulders teaches the following subjects:
- Macroeconomics 1 (CentER)(230334)More information
- Development and Growth (CentER)(230353)More information
- Macroeconomics 4 for EBE: Growth and Institutions(30K301)More information
- Macroeconomics 4 for ECO: Growth and Institutions(30L207)More information
- Seminar Development and Growth(330075)More information
- Seminar Competition and Regulation in Health Care Markets(310146)More information
- Applied Economic Analysis 2(310151)More information
- Seminar Growth and Regional Development(310163)More information
- Applied Economic Analysis 1(310167)More information
Teaching activities elsewhere
Sjak Smulders has acted as a guest teacher at various Universities (e.g. Stanford University, Leipzig, Heidelberg, Porto, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, University of Calgary, Delhi School of Economics) at bachelor, Graduate, and Post-Graduate level, as wel as at Summer schools.
- University of Kiel, February 2009.
- University of Calgary, April 2005.
- Université I de Toulouse, October 2003; March 2004, October 2005.
- ETH, Zurich, April-May 2003.
- Department of Economics, Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 2001.
- Interdisciplinary Institute for Environmental Economics, Heidelberg, Germany, January 2001.
- Delhi School of Economics (DSE) and Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Delhi, and Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai (Bombay), India, February-March 2000.
- University of Greifswald, Germany, November 1999.
- Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), Copenhagen Business School, Denmark: January 1995.
- CPB Academic partner 2008-2009.
- Managing editor Resource and Energy Economics, as of September 2005 (together with Jason Shogren).
- Associate editor Environmental and Resource Economics, October 2003 August 2006 (70 papers handled).
- Member, Editorial Council of the Journal of Environmental Economics and Management (January 2000- September 2001; January 2004-present)
- Associate editor, Journal of Economics, as of January 2005
- Ad hoc reviewer: American Economic Review, BE press Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, De Economist, Ecological Economics, Econometrica, Economic Journal, Energy Economics, Environmental and Resource Economics, Environment and Development Economics, European Economic Review, European Journal of Political Economy, Finanz Archiv, German Economic Review, Journal of Economics, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Journal of Public Economics, Journal of Economic Growth, International Tax and Public Finance, Journal of economic Studies, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Journal of Health Economics, Labour Economics, Macroeconomic dynamics, Optimal Control Application and Methods, Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Review of Economic Studies, Environment and Development Economics, Journal of Macroeconomics, Oxford Economic Papers, RAND Journal of Industrial Economics, Resource and Energy Economics, Review of International Economics, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Southern Economic Journal.
- Book proposals reviewer: Kluwer, Princeton University Press.
- Project proposals reviewer: NAKE, METEOR, ECIS, NWO, Institute of Advanced Studies Vienna, FWF
- Member of the Council of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (EAERE) (2006-2009) http://www.eaere.org/board.html.
- Membership Scientific Committees:
- Member, Scientific Committee Annual Conference of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (EAERE), 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006-2009.
- Member, Program Committee European Economic Association (EEA) annual congress, 2000, 2002.
- Member, Scientific Committee, World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists, 2002, 2006.
- Atlantic Workshop on Energy and Environmental Economics, rede (University of Vigo) and the Spanish Association for Energy Economics (AEEE), September 2004
Room K 402
PO Box 90153 5000 LE Tilburg
|Phone||+31 13 466 3653|
|Secretary||+31 13 466 2416|
|Fax||+31 13 466 3042|
Tilburg School of Economics and Management
Department of Economics