I apply transaction cost theory to the study of international business institutions, and in particular the multinational enterprise. I research the determinants of the mode of foreign market entry, such as contracts (licensing, franchising) and equity modes, and in particular equity joint ventures.
Most recent publications
- Professor of international management
Professor of International Management, Tilburg University, (1999-.) Teaching and Research in International Management.
Visiting Professor, Institute of International Economics and Management, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark, September-December 1996.Professor (1994-1999) and Associate Professor (1990-1994) of International Business, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Teaching and research in international business, international management, foreign market entry strategies, and international business policy.
Anheuser Busch Term Assistant Professor of Management, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1984-1990. Teaching and research in international business, international management, and foreign market entry strategies.
Associate Professor of International Business, Florida International University, Miami, Florida, 1981 - 1984. Teaching and research in international business, international management, and international business policy.
Senior Economist, Fondation pour la Nouvelle Economie Politique, Paris, France, 1979 - 1981.
Expert, United Nations, Office of Technical Cooperation, 1977 - 1979.
Economist, Office of Research, Department of Economic and Community Development, State of Maryland, 1972 - 1977. Applied economic analysis to issues relevant to the Maryland economy.
Click here for my full CV (in PDF)
Most recent publications
Work in progress
- Chen, S., and Hennart, J.F., "A New Theory of International Business".
- Hennart, J.F., Roehl, T., and Zeng, M., "A Typology of Japanese Exits from the United States".
- Tan, D. and Hennart, J.F., "Are There Advantages to Being the First to Manufacture in a Foreign Market?
- Zeng, M., and Hennart, J.F., "From Learning Race to Cooperative Specialization: Toward a New Framework for Alliance Management".
- Fellow of the European International Business Academy, 2007
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel Honorary Chair in Strategy for 2000-2001
- Fellow of the Academy of International Business, 1999
- Ph.D, Honoris Causa, University of Vaasa, 1998
- Journal of International Business Studies
- Global Strategy Journal
- Management International Review
- Journal of World Business
- Internationl Journal of Research in Marketing
J.M.A. (Jean-Francois) Hennart teaches the following subjects:
Teaching activities elsewhere
- Executive MBA Program in International Management, Catholic University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- Executive MBA Program, Vrije Universiteit Brussels
- Doctoral Program, ICSTE
- Doctoral Program, FIGSIB, Finland
- Doctoral Program, HEC
Principal Consulting Activities:
- Monsanto (1997)
- Caterpillar, Inc. (1995)
- Arthur Andersen (1995)
- American Oil Chemists' Society (1994)
- Institutional Reform and the Informal Sector (IRIS), College Park, Maryland (consulting on their project with the U.S. Agency for International Development in Chad  and on their Mongolian project ).
Consulting editor, Journal of International Business Studies (2007-
Editorial Board member of:
- Journal of International Business Studies (1991-2003)
- Strategic Management Journal (1992-2010)
- Global Strategy Journal (2010-
- Management International Review (1994-
- Journal of World Business (1996-
- International Journal of Research in Marketing (2001-2007)
- European Management Review (2003-
- Journal of International Management (2004-
Memberships in Professional Organizations:
Member of the Board and U.S. Representative, European International Business Academy, 1990-2001.
European International Business Academy
Academy of International Business
Academy of Management
Recent Activities in Professional Organizations:
Member of the Conference Board, Annual Conference on Corporate Strategy, WHU-Otto Beisheim Graduate School of Management, 2005-2008.
Member of the Conference Board, Vaasa International Business Conference, since 1989.
Chairperson, Doctoral Consortium, Academy of Management, International Management Division, 1993 and 2008.
Track Chair, Academy of Management, International Management Division, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.
Faculty Member, Doctoral Consortium, Academy of Management, International Management Division, 1987, 1991, 2009.
Faculty Member, Junior Faculty Consortium, Academy of Management, International Management Division, 1994, 2010.Faculty Member, Paper development workshop, Journal of International Business Studies, 2009.
Member of the Jury, Farmer Dissertation Prize, Academy of International Business, 1995 to 1998.
Chairperson, Junior Faculty Consortium, Academy of International Business, 1993-1995
Faculty Member, Doctoral Consortium, European International Business Association, 1989 to date
Track coordinator, European International Business Academy Meetings, 2003.
PO Box 90153 5000 LE Tilburg
Tilburg School of Economics and Management
Department of Management