Johan Graafland is economist and theologian and specialized in the field of macroeconomic ethics, business ethics/corporate social responsibility and a Christian view of the economy. The macroeconomic ethics considers the morality of economic institutions. Prof. Graafland applies economic ethics to the evaluation of market operation in specific segments of the economy. A second area of research is business ethics. Prof. Graafland is particularly specialized in the field of corporate social responsibility. He has done several conceptual as well as empirical researches to corporate social responsibility. Since March 2010 he performs a large scale research to corporate social responsibility of companies in Europe for the European Union (KP7). Furthermore, prof. Graafland has done several empirical researches to the influence of religion on corporate social responsibility.
Most recent publications
- 1978 - 1986: Economics at Erasmus University Rotterdam;
- 1990: Dissertation in economics at Erasmus University Rotterdam: Persistent Unemployment, wages and hysteresis;
- 1991 - 1998: Theology at Utrecht University.
- 1981 - 1982: Teacher economics at Secondary School for Administrative Staff in Gouda;
- 1982 - 1986: Research assistant at Macro Economic Policy group at Erasmus University Rotterdam;
- 1986 - 1987: Economist at the division Sector Models of the Dutch Central Planning Bureau. Engaged in the construction of a sectoral model to analyse the interaction between official and underground economy for the Netherlands;
- 1987 - 1993: Economist at the division Applied General Equilibrium Models of the Dutch Central Planning Bureau. Engaged in construction of an AGE model for the Netherlands to analyse the interaction between the system of taxation and social security and the labour market and application of the model to policy issues;
- 1993 - 2000: Head of the division Applied General Equilibrium Models of the Dutch Central Planning Bureau;
- 2000: Professor in Economics, Business and Ethics / Ethical consultant in Business;
- 2002-2009: Director of Centre for Corporate Social Responsibility at Tilburg University.
Most recent publications
Externally paid projects
- BZW/MKB/FNV, 2002: What does CSR mean?
- Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, 2003, Towards a benchmark of CSR;
- Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, 2003: CSR and reputation;
- BZW, 2004, CD-rom with codes of conduct model;
- Tilburg University, 2004, code of conduct;
- VNO-NCW and Ministry of Economic Affairs, 2003-2004: Religion and CSR;
- Regieraad and PSI Bouw, 2005, Transparency in the construction sector;
- NWO, 2006, CSR and transparency.
- European Union (KP7), 2010-2013, Motives and impact of CSR
PhD's under guidance of prof. Graafland:
- Corrie Mazereeuw: Religion and corporate social responsibility
- Mandy Bosma: Aiding the distant poor: the extent and distribution of the duties of the affluent
- Robert Gielissen: Fair prices and social products
Prof. Graafland has organized five conferences:
- Tilburg University, 2001, What does corporate social responsibility mean in practice?
- Tilburg University, 2002, Economics and ethics about ICT;
- The Hague, 2002, Economic assessment of election programs;
- Tilburg University, 2006: Religion and corporate social responsibility;
- The Hague, 2007: Free market, happiness and solidarity: dialogue between economics, ethics and religion
J.J.Graafland teaches the following subjects:
- Philosophy of Economics and Economic Ethics for EBE (Dutch)(30K305)More information
- Philosophy of Economics and Economic Ethics for ECO(30L210)More information
- History of Economic Thought(30L301)More information
- Corporate Responsibility B(323072)More information
- (U40062)More information
- Organizational Systems and Corporate Responsibility A(325076)More information
- Organizational Systems and Corporate Responsibility B(325077)More information
- Philosophy of Economics and Economic Ethics (Dutch)(360020)More information
Member Advisory body ICE (Institute for Culture Ethics)
Member Advisory body Burgland
Member Committee Corporate Social Responsibility of BZW (Brabants Zeeuwse Werkgeversvereniging)
Member Board of goveners of SRW (Foundation of Reformational Philosophy)
Member Thinktank Societal questions of Council of Churches
Contributor Reformatorisch Dagblad
List of lectures given by Prof.dr. J.J. Graafland.
Room K 408
PO Box 90153 5000 LE Tilburg
|Phone||+31 13 466 2707|
|Secretary||+31 13 466 2416|
Tilburg School of Economics and Management
Department of Economics