Hans Blanc is associate professor in operations research. His research interests cover various topics in queueing theory, in particular, the power-series algorithm, numerical transform inversion and the transient behavior of queueing systems. He is also involved in the study of Markov chains with uncertain parameters.
Most recent publications
1982: Ph.D. in mathematics, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
Thesis title: Application of the Theory of Boundary Value Problems in the Analysis of a Queueing Model with Paired Services (Thesis advisor: J.W. Cohen)
1977: M.Sc. applied mathematics (cum laude)
1973 - 1977: Mathematics, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
Assistant Professor in Operations Research, 1987-1992
Associate Professor in Operations Research, 1992-present
Tilburg University, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Assistant Professor in Operations Research, 1986-1987
Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Assistant Professor in Operations Research, 1984-1986
Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
Researcher (post-doc) in Performance Evaluation, 1982-1984
Center for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI), Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Research Assistant, 1978-1982
University of Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Most recent publications
Direct and indirect funding
NWO grant for 4-year Ph.D position (1991-1995)
- Université Mohammed V, Rabat, Morocco (April 1985)
- INRIA, Sophia Antipolis, France (February 1986)
- INRIA, Rocquencourt, France (March 1988)
- INRIA, Sophia Antipolis, France (January 1990)
- Academy of Sciences, Kishinev, Moldavia, USSR (May 1991)
- INRIA, Sophia Antipolis, France (May 1992)
- CNR-Istituto CNUCE, Pisa, Italy (September 1994)
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst (July 1997)
Associate editor of INFORMS Journal on Computing (1998-2004)
Referee for: Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, Advances in Applied Probability, SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, Stochastic Models, Journal of Applied Probability, Queueing Systems, Performance Evaluation, Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences, IEEE Transactions on Computers, Annals of Probability, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Stochastic Processes and Applications, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Mathematics of Operations Research, OR-Spektrum, Stochastic Processes and Applications, Statistica Neerlandica, European Journal of Operational Research, Computer Networks and ISDN systems, ORSA Journal on Computing, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Telecommunication Systems, Journal of the Operational Research Society, The Computer Journal, IEEE Communications Letters, Annals of Applied Probability, Operations Research Letters, Computers and Operations Research, Mathematical Methods of Operations Research, Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Journal of the Operational Research Society, and for various conference proceedings
- KNAW travel grant to Kishinev, Moldavia (USSR), 1991
- KNAW travel grant to San Diego, US, 1997
Supervision of Ph.D. students:
- R.D. van der Mei (1990-1995)
- W.B. van der Hout (1991-1996)
- Q. Deng (1997-1998)
Ph.D. thesis committees:
- S.C. Borst (Tilburg University, 1994)
- M.B. Combé (Tilburg University, 1994)
- R.D. van der Mei (Tilburg University, 1995, copromotor)
- W.B. van der Hout (Tilburg University, 1996, copromotor)
- Q. Deng (Eindhoven University of Technology, 2001)
- Time-dependent analysis of a queueing model by formulating a boundary value problem (International Seminar on Modeling and Performance Evaluation Methodology, Paris, 1983)
- Transient behavior of networks with infinite server nodes (Performance '84, Paris, 1984)
- Relaxation times for two-dimensional queueing systems (Workshop on Boundary Value Problems in Queueing System Analysis, Delft, 1985)
- On a numerical method for calculating state probabilities for queueing systems with more than one waiting line (International Congress on Computational and Applied Mathematics, Leuven, 1986)
- A numerical study of a coupled processor model (2nd InternationalWorkshop on Applied Mathematics and Performance/Reliability Models of Computer/Communication Systems, Frascati, 1987)
- A numerical approach to the cyclic-service queueing model (Workshop on Modeling and Control of Queueing Networks, Saint Lambert des Bois, 1987)
- A numerical approach to multi-dimensional birth-death models (IFIP W.G. 7.1 Conference on Optimization in Stochastic Systems, Debrecen, 1988)
- On the relaxation times of open queueing networks (Workshop on Queueing Theory and Stochastic Models of Telecommunication Systems, Saint Lambert des Bois, 1989)
- The power-series algorithm applied to polling systems (IFIP W.G. 7.3 technical meeting on Performance Modelling and Analysis, Lattrop, 1990)
- New applications of the power-series algorithm (Conference on Applied Probability in Engineering, Computer and Communication Sciences, Paris, 1993; with W.B. van den Hout)
- Performance analysis and optimization with the power-series algorithm (tutorial; Performance '93, Rome, 1993)
- Optimization of polling systems: computation of derivatives by means of the power-series algorithm (poster; Performance '93, Rome, 1993; with R.D. van der Mei)
- The power-series algorithm applied to polling systems with a dormant server (ITC-94, Juan-les-Pins, 1994; with R.D. van der Mei)
- Application of the power-series algorithm to polling systems with time-limited service (Third INFORMS Telecommunications Conference, Boca Raton, 1995)
- Optimization of periodic polling systems with non-preemptive, time-limited service (10th European Simulation Multiconference: ESM 96, Budapest, 1996)
- Analysis of communication systems with timed token protocols using the power-series algorithm (Performance 96, Lausanne, 1996; with L. Lenzini)
- The power-series algorithm and tandem queues (INFORMS Spring 1997, San Diego, 1997)
- Queueing analysis with the power-series algorithm: application to communication systems with timed token protocols (INFORMS 1997 Applied Probability Meeting, Boston/Cambridge, 1997; with L. Lenzini)
- Analysis of tandem systems with the power-series algorithm (EURO XVI, Brussels, 1998)
- On the performance of the power-series algorithm (10th INFORMS Applied Probability Conference, Ulm, 1999)
- Computation of autocorrelations of interdeparture times by numerical transform inversion (MCQT'02, Madrid, 2002)
- Numerical transform inversion for autocorrelations of waiting times (Annual International Conference of the German Operations Research Society, Tilburg, 2004)
- Bad luck when joining the shortest queue (14th INFORMS Applied Probability Conference, Eindhoven, 2007)
- On Markov chains with uncertain data (Eurandom, Eindhoven, 2008)
Blanc, J.P.C. Stochastic Operations Research Models: part 2, Tilburg University, 2011-2016.
Blanc, H. Mathematics for Quantitative Research in Pension and Retirement Economics, Tilburg University, 2010-2012.
Blanc, J.P.C. Queueing Models: analytical and numerical methods, Tilburg University, 2004-2009.
Blanc, J.P.C. User guide for the MATLAB package EvalQ, Universiteit van Tilburg, 2007-2009.
Blanc, H. Simlab: a simple set of Matlab tools for simulation, Universiteit van Tilburg, 2008.
Blanc, H. Advanced Inventory Management: models and algorithms, Tilburg University, 2005, 2008.
Blanc, J.P.C. Queueing Systems: analytical and numerical methods, Tilburg University, 1999-2001.
Blanc, J.P.C. Queueing Network Analysis Package QNAP2: an introduction, Tilburg University, 1997-2000.
Blanc, J.P.C. Inleiding tot het gebruik van QNAP2, Tilburg University, 1992-1996 (in Dutch).
J.P.C.Blanc teaches the following subjects:
- BSc Thesis Econometrics and Operational Research(300TET)More information
- Introduction Analysis & Probability Theory(35B113)More information
- Quantitative Research in Pension and Retirement Economics(390206)More information
- Stochastic Operations Research Models(35B204)More information
- Differentiation and Integration Theory(35B601)More information
- Modeling in Practice(35B606)More information
- Modeling in Practice 5 ECTS(35B607)More information
- Simulation(35M1C3)More information
- Queueing Models(35M2C8)More information
Teaching activities elsewhere
Eindhoven University of Technology; Philips, dept. ISA-R, Eindhoven; Utrecht University; CWI, Amsterdam; Delft University of Technology; Université Mohammed V, Rabat, Morocco; INRIA, Rocquencourt; Erasmus University Rotterdam; Catholic University of Leuven; INRIA-CNRS, Sophia Antipolis; CentER, Tilburg University; Academy of Sciences, Kishinev, Moldavia, USSR; University of Moldavia, Kishinev, Moldavia, USSR; University of Pisa; CNR - institute CNUCE, Pisa; BellCore, Morristown; University of Massachusetts, Amherst; Eurandom, Eindhoven.
- Simulation (Delft University of Technology; Université Mohammed V, Rabat; Tilburg University; Dutch Network on the Mathematics of Operations Research (LNMB), Utrecht).
- Introduction to Operations Research (Maastricht University, Tilburg University).
- Mathematics: various topics (Utrecht University, Delft University of Technology, Tilburg University).
- Probability & Statistics (Utrecht University, Tilburg University).
- Queueing Theory (Tilburg University, 1988-2010).
- Special topics in Queueing Theory (Delft University of Technology; LNMB Utrecht; workshop LNMB, Enschede; Utrecht University).
- Inventory management (Tilburg University, 1999-2005).
- Member of the faculty library committee (Maastricht University; 1986-1987).
- Member of the committee for the appointment of a full professor (Maastricht University; 1987).
- Member of the departmental committee for computers (Tilburg University; 1989-1992).
- Secretary of the Management Team of the Department of Econometrics & Operations Research (Tilburg University; 1992-1995 & 2001-2003).
- Secretary of the departmental committee for computers (Tilburg University; 1997-2007).
- Member of the task-force for the modification of the OR/MS educational program (Tilburg University; 2008).
- Departmental representative for computers (Tilburg University; 2008-...).
Room K 541
PO Box 90153 5000 LE Tilburg
|Phone||+31 13 466 3039|
|Secretary||+31 13 466 2430|
|Fax||+31 13 466 3280|
Tilburg School of Economics and Management
Econometrics and Operations Research