Martin Smits is Associate Professor of Information Systems and Management. His research focuses on the impact of IT on the performance of business processes in organizations and business networks.
Topics include business process analysis, business process redesign, strategic information systems planning, information management, supply chain management, and supply chain integration. He is particularly interested in electronic markets, the development of intermediaries and market performance. He develops process models, governance models, and system dynamics models, in particular to analyze and predict the impact of technology innovations in the health care sector (e-health), government (e-government), and the financial services sector.
Most recent publications
1999-date: Associate Professor of Information System and Management, School of Economics and Business Administration, Tilburg University.
2005-date: program manager 'Information Management in Health Care' at Tranzo (Research Institute for Transformation of Care and Welfare), TilburgUniversity
2002-2008: Applied Research Coordinator for Information Systems and Management, TilburgUniversity (yearly budget of 400,000 euro)
1997-2008: Member of the Board of the department of Information Management, School of Economics, TilburgUniversity
1998-date: Research Fellow of the Center for Economic Research, TilburgUniversity
1998-2001: Manager of the Research Program 'IT Innovation in the Networked Economy' (NEFETI project), TilburgUniversity and Telematics Institute (Enschede)
1996-2005: Program Manager 'Electronic Meeting Room' (Group Decision Support Systems), TilburgUniversity
1992-1996: Academic Director of the Executive Program Master of Information Management, TIASBusinessSchool.
1986-1990: Head of Clinical Staff, DentalSchool, GroningenUniversity.
1986-1990: Dentist (part time) at the Mental Health Care Institute, Assen (NL) and the Centre for Advanced Dentistry, GroningenUniversityHospital.
1982-1990: Program manager 'IT for research and patient simulations', DentalSchool, University of Groningen.
Most recent publications
Direct and indirect funding
Some projects are:
- EU project Cockpit (2009-2013): Citizens Collaboration and Co-Creation in Public Service Delivery (with Tilburg municipality)
- ZonMW project (2011-2013): Redesign and Performance of Emergency Care in the Netherlands (with Julius Centre, Utrecht University).
- Project I-Fit (2007-2011): Assessing Strategic Alignment Effectiveness (with KZA consulting, Baarn)
- Project NEFETI: Network Enterprises of the Future enabled by Telematics Infrastructure (with Telematics Institute Twente)
- Project TICS: Telematics Innovation and Control in Next Generation Supply Chains (including supply chain management and supply chain integration). (with Telematics Institute Twente).
- Project METIS: Measuring Knowledge Management Effectiveness (with Telematics Institute Twente).
- Project: Enterprise Content Management in Large Multinational Organizations (with Philips, Eindhoven)
- EU Project G-Nike: Growth Nodes in a Knowledge Based Economy (EU project on the role of IT infrastructure in knowledge transfer and regional development)
- Project Electronic Meeting Room: Effects of groupware, GDSS and electronic meeting systems in organizations
- Project WIT: Wired International Teams (on the design of multi-cultural virtual teams in networked organizations)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Electronic Markets
- Member of the Editorial Board (Area Editor System Dynamics), Health Systems (a journal by Palgrave McMillan)
- Associate Editor of Health Care Information Systems (European Conference of Information Systems)
Egbert (E.) Roos (BuRoos): Modeling the Dynamics of Care Markets (Tranzo; Tilburg University).
Victor (V.) Slenter (Capaciteitsorgaan): Improving Manpower Planning in Health Care (Tilburg University).
Jan (J.) Luijsterburg (GGz Breburg; Tranzo; Tilburg University): Using electronic patient records for mental health care research (defense planned 2011, Radboud University Nijmegen).
Benjamin (B.) Rensman: Electronic Intermediaries in the health care sector. (Muenster University/ Tilburg University).
Cocky (C.) Hilhorst (PWC): Real options for risk management in large IT projects. (PhD 2008, Tilburg University).
Reza (R.) Torabkani (UWV): Extended strategic alignment and performance of electronic business networks. (Erasmus University).
Wim (W.) Huisman (Avans): Impact of IT on supply chain performance and networkability of organizations.
David (D.C.) Kuo: Impact of IT on integration and performance of SME-based supply chains, (PhD 2005, Taiwan National University).
Roland (R.) Toppen (Robeco), Improving the performance of electronic business networks. (PhD 1999, Tilburg University).
Klaas (K.G.) van der Poel (Logica CMG), Theory and practice of information strategy. (PhD 1995, Tilburg University).
M.T.Smits teaches the following subjects:
- E-Business for BS(30B208)More information
- Information Systems Management(30B304)More information
- Information Management for IBA(30J303)More information
- Value Chain Transformation(346241)More information
- Smart Business Networks(320039)More information
- Business Process Analysis 2(320070)More information
- Enterprise Architecture as a Business Strategy(320084)More information
- Member of the Advisory Board, Council of Information Security in Health Care (IBG, Amsterdam)
- Senior lecturer at TIAS Business School (Executive MSc Programs) (Tilburg University)
Room K 1015
PO Box 90153 5000 LE Tilburg
|Phone||+31 13 466 3179|
|Secretary||+31 13 466 3020|
|Fax||+31 13 466 3069|
Tilburg School of Economics and Management
Department of Management