Jaap Paauwe (1953) is Professor at the department of Human Resource Studies at Tilburg University. Before joining Tilburg University he worked as a full professor of Organization at Erasmus University Rotterdam, heading the Department of Business and Organization of the School of Economics. At Erasmus University he is still involved in supervising PhD students.
Jaap Paauwe is specialized in the link between Human Resource Management (HRM) and corporate strategies and how that has an impact on organizational performance and employee well-being, for which he is also active in advising and consulting organizations, both internationally as well as in the Netherlands. Using a strategic perspective implies attention for issues of leadership, involvement of line management and employees, corporate culture and organizational change.
He has carried out large scale international research projects involving companies listed in the Fortune top 500. Working together with a team of researchers from Cambridge University, INSEAD and Cornell University he carried out a project, assigned by the Sanyo Corporation, in order to achieve HR functional excellence. Topics covered: Talent management, Learning, Performance management, HR function, Supply Chain management. Another international project focused on the relationship between HRM and corporate governance, compliance and risk management.
Areas of expertise, for which he is also involved in teaching in the bachelors, masters program (through Tilburg University) and in executive training (through TIASNIMBAS) are as follows:
-corporate enterprise policy
-international human resource management
-human resource management, performance and well-being
-advanced topics in HRM
-organization and management
-comparative industrial relations
Next to his regular teaching and research activities he has numerous contacts with the business community, giving inputs to strategy meetings, management team meetings and one on one conversations with CHRO's about the strategic challenges they are facing. Incidentally he is also involved in consultancy assignments.
Most recent publications
Jaap Paauwe (1953) is Professor Human Resource Studies at Tilburg University and vice-dean for research of Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Before becoming chair of the Human Resource Department, he worked as a professor within Organization at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam heading the department Business and Organization at the School of Economics. At Erasmus University, he is still involved with the supervision of PhD students. Before he started his scientific career, he was working in the business for several years (SHV/GTI and CNV).
Apart from many scientific publications in top academic reviews (IJHRM, HRMJ, SJRM), he has written the book HRM and Performance: Achieving a long term viability published in 2004 by Oxford University Press for which he received the Dutch HRM Network Award. Besides the fact that prof. dr. Paauwe is head of the department Human Resource Studies and the Resource Program: HRM and Performance, he is also academic director of the Advanced Human Resource Program connected to the Tias Nimbas Business school. He also teaches executive HRM training programs as the Bedrijfskundige Leergang (Health Care Sector) and Avicenna (KMBV).
He also initiated the People Management Centre (PMC); this is the Human Resource Studies institute for partnerships between industry and academia. The PMC is devoted to HR professionalization in organizations. Prof. dr. Paauwe is also connected as Founding Board member of the Dutch HRM Network. He is also member of the jury of the Dutch Proffie Prize for selecting companies/organizations with the best HRM policies and practices.
Therefore, prof. dr. Jaap Paauwe is ranked at the 15th place in the top 20 shortlist 2012 of 'Most influential international thinkers' in the field of HRM. In between the hot shots like Chris Argyris (Harvard), Manfred Kets de Vries (INSEAD), Dave Ulrich (U of Michigan), Rosbeth Moss Kanter (Harvard), Henry Mintzberg (McGill U.), Peter Cappelli (Wharton) and Barry Posner (Santa Clara U.)
Most recent publications
- International affiliate research fellow to CAHRS (Centre for Advanced Human Resource Studies at Cornell University)
- Fellow of TIASNIMBAS
- Fellow of Erasmus Research Institute of Management
- Kings College, Department of Management Studies
- Cambridge University, Judge Business School
- Global HR Research Alliance, a large research project funded by the Sanyo Corporation, working with academic partners at Cambridge University (UK), INSEAD (Singapore), and Cornell University (USA).
- External collaboration: HR governance project, working closely together with Patrick Wright (Cornell University) and Philip Stiles (Cambridge University)
- External collaboration: Kings College with David Guest (on HRM and Performance: what?s next) and Riccardo Peccei on a varietyof projects among which on the adoption of HR practices by organisations using WERS survey data.
J.Paauwe teaches the following subjects:
- Research Master: Research Integrity and Ethics in Methodology and Statistics(400868)More information
- Research Master: Research Integrity and Ethics in Social Psychology(400869)More information
- Research Master: Research Integrity and Ethics in Social Sciences(400870)More information
- Seminar Human Resource Studies(760815)More information
Teaching activities elsewhere
- Executive training HRM (Bedrijfskundige Leergang, Health Care sector): Avicenna (KMBV), (together with Dr. B.Kroon)
- HR strategy for AOG / University of Groningen
- Leadership and HRM for Masters Class for Hospital CEOs (iBMG)
- Leadership and HRM for small and medium sized companies, Masterclass Programme, organized by Erasmus Plus
- Vice-Dean for research TSB, Tilburg University
- Academic Director / Board member of the Advanced Human Resource Program connected to the Tias Business School.
- Initiator of the People Management Center (PMC), which is the Human Resource Studies institute for partnerships between industry and academia
- Founding Board member, Dutch HRM Network
- Member, international Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) of the NIHR King?s Patient Safety & Service Quality Research Centre (PSSQRC)
- Member, Board of Examiners, Cranfield School of Management, MSc program on International Human Resource Management
- Member, Board of Examiners, Cranfield School of Management, MSc Defense program on Human Resource Management
- Moderator of the Club of 11: a group of 10 HR directors of the largest companies in the Netherlands among which ABN/AMRO, Shell, Royal Dutch Telecom, National Railways, Akzo/Nobel, DSM, Ahold, Unilever, Corus Steel Mills, who meet on an informal basis to discuss issues and exchange views on social-economic policies, collective bargaining trends an HRM.
- Together with Evert Smit, new course/program for trade union officials
- Associate editor of the Human Resource Management Journal (UK)
- Member of the academic advisory board of the Journal of Management Studies
- Member of the the Editorial board of Maandblad voor Accountancy & Bedrijfseconomie
- Member of the Academy of Management
- Association of Work and Organizational Psychology (EAWOP)
- HRM study group of the International Industrial Relations Association (IRRA)
- Founding member of the Global Human Resource Research Alliance (constituting partners being Cambridge University (UK), Cornell University (USA), INSEAD) and Erasmus University/Tilburg University
- Founding member of the Dutch HRM network (together with Paul Jansen, VU-Amsterdam)
Room S 510
PO Box 90153 5000 LE Tilburg
|Phone||+31 13 466 2851|
|Secretary||+31 13 466 2371|
|Fax||+31 13 466|
TS Social and Behavioral Sciences
Department of Human Resource Studies