History of the Tilburg University buildings
Historical background of the buildings on our campus.
Designed by architect Hugh Maaskant (1907-1977), the building dates from 1972 and is now called Academia Building.
By the time of the grand opening on November 13, 1962, the slow and arduous pre-history of the oldest building on campus had been pushed into the background. More than twelve years had passed before the creation of architect Jos. Bedaux came to fruition.
The building is a project by architect Anton Becker, completed in 1997.
Esplanade Building is a 1998 building by Belgian architect Christian Kieckens, a student center in the heart of the campus with various amenities.
The building by architect Hans Timmermans has a natural stone exterior, referencing Cobbenhagen Building by architect Jos Bedaux.
The building is named after Thomas Goossens, the institution's first Rector Magnificus and was called "Building C" until 2006.
The building housing the Tilburg School of Economics and Management (TiSEM) and some services is named after econometrician Tjalling Charles Koopmans (1910–1985).
The Library was designed between 1987 and 1992 by architect Martien Jansen. The three-story building stands on a pedestal of a plant-covered earthen mound.
Between 1957 and 1967, eight parishes were added in Tilburg, including student church Maranatha in 1966. It received a church building on theProfessor Cobbenhagenlaan designed by Jos. Bedaux.
The first Mensa Building is not on campus, but a lot further east, on the Cobbenhagenlaan. It is a building by Jos. Bedaux, designed and built between 1959 and 1965.
In 2005, the Montesquieu Building was opened, by State Secretary Rutte - later Prime Minister.
Olympia building - Sports Center
Olympia Building is a 1960-1963 design by Bedaux. The steel columns supporting the hall's roof still look like they were completed yesterday.
In 1965, two years after the faculteit Sociale Wetenschappen was established, a number of wooden barracks were erected on the campus. The whole was called provisorium in which temporary housing for sociologists and psychologists would be arranged.
Simon Building was completed in 1975 and (again) a design by architect Jos. Bedaux, commissioned by the Ministry of Agriculture.
The building dates from 1998 and was designed by the Belgian architect Kieckens. It has been the home of TIAS School for Business and Society from the beginning.
The predecessor of Tilburg University - the R.K. Handelshoogeschool - was established in 1927 on the Bosscheweg, today's Tivolistraat. It stood on the spot where the garden of the insurance company Interpolis is now located, on the eastern side.
Warande Building was designed by Martien Jansen of M10 architects. It opened in 1992 and was the first building on campus to contain only lecture halls.
Zwijsen Building was designed by architect Ad Roefs and opened in 1992, as a stiltecentrum (silence center).
More about history and academic heritage
The Tilburg University academic heritage is a very diverse set of archives, visual materials, collections, devices, recorded stories, et cetera that relate to the history of the university.