Department Methodology and Statistics
The Department of Methodology and Statistics is responsible for education and research in methodology and statistics for the social and behavioral sciences.
The department’s research program focuses on latent variable models of individual differences (structural equation models, dynamic modelling, latent class and finite mixture models, item response models), applied statistics and data science (Bayesian modelling, high dimensional data analysis, database integration), (intensive) survey methodology (experience sampling, response styles, sampling, missing data), and meta-research (publication bias, replication, meta-analysis, statistical decision-making, reproducibility).
The department has a strong tradition of working with the other (substantive) research programs in our School and beyond. The department participates in the Tilburg Experience Sampling Center (TESC), the Center of Research on Psychology in Somatic diseases (CoRPS), the Data Science Center Tilburg (DSC/t), and the Interuniversity Graduate School for Psychometrics and Sociometrics (IOPS). The meta-research group of the department was recently covered in a news item in Science.
- Erik Stokstad: The Truth Squad, in: Science, September 21, 2018
- The Tilburg University Metaresearch group
- Jop de Vrieze: Meta-analyses were supposed to end scientific debates. Often, they only cause more controversy, in: Science, September 18, 2018
- Robbie van Aert (cum laude dissertatie) cesigns new methods to analyse publication mountain, Tilburg University press release
- How to improve psychological science? press release on Michèle Nuijten's PhD Defence
- Crisis in de psychologie: statistische inconsistenties, te kleine steekproeven en overschatte effecten, Press release on Michèle Nuijten's PhD thesis
- Psychologisch onderzoek kan betrouwbaarder, interview with Nuijten in Univers (in Dutch)
- Grants and Awards of the Methodology and Statistics Department
Methods and Statistics Minor for Bachelor Students
Improve your educational profile with a more research based background! The M&S minor is intended for bachelor students in the social sciences with special interest in applied statistics for empirical research. More information about Minors in the bachelors of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Research Master in Methodology and Statistics
Obtain a master's degree in Methodology and Statistics at Tilburg University! It provides an excellent background for those who are interested in taking methodological research further in a Ph.D position and also for various research positions inside and outside of a university. Detailed information about the methodology and statistics track.