Department of Philosophy
In its contribution to the global development of philosophy, the Department of Philosophy of Tilburg University focuses primarily on what it means to be human and to form a society.
Research at the Department of Philosophy combines a fundamental approach to philosophical questions together with a great openness to insights from other disciplines and a strong focus on issues of great societal relevance.
There are two research groups:
- TiLPS ‒ Tilburg Center for Moral Philosophy, Epistemology and Philosophy of Science
- PHC&E ‒ Philosophy of Humanity, Culture, and Ethics
Explore the profiles of our researchers and their research in:
Tilburg University Research Portal
The Department of Philosophy offers both a Bachelor and a Master program in Philosophy.
Besides the compulsory courses, Bachelor students choose one of three tracks:
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE).
The Master program has five tracks:
- Ethics of Business and Organization (in Dutch)
- Philosophy of Contemporary Challenges
- Philosophy of Data and Digital Society
- Philosophy of Humanity and Culture
- Philosophy of Mind and Psychology
The Department also offers a Pre-Master program for each of these tracks.
The Department of Philosophy also teaches the philosophy courses in the other Bachelor programs at Tilburg University.
The aim of the Department of Philosophy is to teach students to think philosophically and develop skills needed for critical reflection, clear argumentation and academic writing. Furthermore, the Department wants to provide students with the capability to take up their responsibility in improving society, both as academics and as citizens.