Open Access book fund 2023
By Beatriz Ferreira
Embracing the spirit of the International Open Access Week (October 23rd to 29th) the University Library announces the launch of a new Open Access book fund for 2023. Building on the success of the 2022 Open Access book fund pilot, it reflects the dedication to fostering open research within the Tilburg University research community. This year's fund will follow two paths: one to cover the Book Publication Charges (BPCs) and the other to support publishing with Open Press Tilburg University, our diamond Open Access University Press.
Two Pathways, One Mission
Eligibility: Tilburg University-affiliated authors
Covering Book Publishing Charges (BPC)
- The Tilburg University Open Access Book Fund covers a maximum of €5,000 (incl. VAT) per book, up to a maximum of 50% of the book processing charges (BPC). We expect TiU authors to find/provide additional funding for at least 50% from other sources.
- The book is published by an academic publisher that meets the requirements of the Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB).
- The book is a monograph or edited volume, not an educational textbook or a popular adaptation of your scientific work. Book chapters are not eligible.
- The fund does not cover copyright permission costs (i.e. fees for usage of figures/tables).
- You are the lead author and you are employed by Tilburg University.
- The book must be peer-reviewed academically.
- The publication will include a clear Open Access license (such as Creative Commons/CC-BY).
- You can provide the publisher’s contract with an official indication of the expected BPC.
- Your funder (e.g. NWO, ZonMw, Horizon) cannot cover the full amount of BPC.
Application Process and Criteria
- Authors should submit their applications for cost reimbursement before publication, providing publisher contracts and official indications of expected BPC costs, through the dedicated application form.
- For the BPC route, ensure that the book meets the criteria, including academic peer review, a clear Open Access license, and compliance with DOAB requirements.
Publishing Diamond Open Access with Open Press (OP)
Supporting Open Access book publishing via Open Press Tilburg University, our diamond Open Access University Press, allows for a pathway to equality, as diamond Open Access charges neither the reader nor the author. Open Press TiU welcomes book proposals for theses, monographs, essays, critical text editions, textbooks and other academic publications. This initiative not only fosters educational and research excellence but also extends the benefits of Open Access to learners worldwide. Authors interested in contributing to this mission can reach out to email@example.com for more details.