For ideological reasons, an organization from outside Tilburg University may request a chair for a field of interest that is lacking at the university. If the theme is seen as an enrichment of the university’s range of research and education and if sufficient interest in education in this area is expected, a chair may be established within a School or institute of the university. This is called an endowed chair.
The full professor appointed to this chair is an endowed professor.
An endowed chair is bound by a term of five years. Extension of the term is possible thereafter.
There is an Endowed Chairs Foundation (SBL) attached to the university. This Foundation prepares the application for the establishment of an endowed chair and the proposal for the appointment of an endowed professor on behalf of the Executive Board of the university. In addition, the Foundation maintains contacts with the organizations and Schools regarding the endowed chairs “in operation.”
The Endowed Chairs Foundation (SBL)
The goal of the Endowed Chairs Foundation is to maintain endowed chairs at Tilburg University. The main tasks of the Foundation are:
- preparing, for the Executive Board, the application for the establishment of an endowed chair and the proposal for the appointment of an endowed professor;
- appointing the candidate as an endowed professor;
- overseeing the functioning of existing endowed chairs in consultation with the establishing authority and School;
- supporting the Executive Board in policy making regarding endowed chairs;
- drafting the SBL's annual report.