Zwijsen Building was designed by architect Ad Roefs and opened in 1992, as a stiltecentrum (silence center).
This should give expression to the "open Catholic signature": a center for people who want to dwell in silence whatever their philosophy of life. This means, among other things, that students and employees of other religions can also go there. For example, the first floor is currently used by Muslims for their daily prayers. In addition, the building has a stage function; a variety of meetings and discussions are held there that are organized by Studium Generale and other units and student organizations within the university. Two works of art by the Tilburg painter Marc Mulders adorn the lower room. They are collages, with love and mortality as the subject.
After much discussion, in 2005, the silence center was named after Bishop Joannes Zwijsen (1794-1877) the most famous clergyman in Tilburg history. He is the founder of a number of educational orders and the namesake of a large educational publishing company. But his name no longer means anything to many people, they protested. Moreover, Zwijsen represents a traditional vision, while the building should represent an open type of Catholicism.
More about history and academic heritage
The Tilburg University academic heritage is a very diverse set of archives, visual materials, collections, devices, recorded stories, et cetera that relate to the history of the university.