Master class for PhD Supervisors
Would you like to develop yourself further regarding the supervision of PhD researchers? Or would you like to reflect on the way in which you have been supervising PhD researchers all these years?
A good supervisor knows his or her own strengths and weaknesses and, depending on the situation of the PhD researcher, can choose a good supervision strategy.
In doing so, it is important to adapt to the PhD researcher and consider the context. This is in line with the Tilburg University vision on leadership, called Connected Leading.
In cooperation with “Hertz training for scientists,” Tilburg University organizes one-day master classes for (co-)supervisors of PhD researchers. During the day, the relationship between the (co-)supervisor and PhD researcher is central.
The master class focuses on:
- choosing the right supervision strategy, depending on the situation and the PhD researcher;
- learning to communicate effectively, possibly taking cultural differences into account;
- providing constructive feedback;
- exchanging experiences.
In the afternoon, you will start practicing conversation situations together with a training actor to be able to apply the acquired knowledge immediately.
For Whom? All (co-)supervisors
- Wednesday October 12, 2022 for supervisors with less than 8 years of experience and/or a maximum of 4 PhDs who defended their PhD thesis
- Tuesday November 8, 2022 for supervisors with more than 8 years of experience and/or with more than 4 PhDs who defended their PhD thesis
- Friday December 9, 2022 for supervisors with less than 8 years of experience and/or a maximum of 4 PhDs who defended their PhD thesis
Number of participants Maximum of 6 (more experienced) or 12 (less experienced group)
What time? 9:30–17:00 hrs
Where? On campus
The course fees are financed by the Schools, so participation in the training is free of charge for the participant. If you have registered and unexpectedly cannot participate in the workshop, we ask you to notify us at least 2 weeks before the start of the workshop via e-mail: email@example.com.
If the workshop is canceled too late, a fee (€500 per participant) may be charged to your Department. We assume that participation in the workshop will have been discussed with your manager.
Time investment? 1 day
The Master Classes on October 12 and December 9 have been fully booked. New dates will follow in 2023.
If you want to register for the Master Class for more experienced (co-)supervisors on November 8 or if you want to be placed on the waiting list for October 12 and/or December 9, please send a mail to a mail to Pam Dupont at firstname.lastname@example.org.