SDG Action Day: Tilburg University contribute to Sustainable Development Goals
On September 24 & 25 the SDG Action Day will take place for the sixth time. In addition to raising the SDG Action Day flag, these days we are giving extra attention to various research that contribute to Sustainable Development Goals. In addition, we are actively contributing to SDG`s on campus. Tilburg University is committed to a sustainable society and encourages researchers, teachers, support staff, students, and stakeholders to actively contribute.
Last year Tilburg University signed the SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) plegde. Tilburg University joins the institutions that commit to the 17 SDGs of the United Nations in their policies. The Action Day brings together representatives from all Dutch sectors, with the aim of inspiring, activating and connecting. By joining forces, actions around specific SDGs can be accelerated and taken to the next level. Today we raised the flag at Library.
In our research, we aim to better understand international, regional and local sustainability problems and develop knowledge to arrive at solutions. Below we highlight some of our research.
- SDG 2 Zero Hunger
- SDG 8 Decent Work and Economic Growth
- SDG 9 Industry, Innovation and Infratructure
- SDG 12 Responsible Consumption and Production
- SDG 13 Climate Action
- SDG 15 Life on land
- SDG 16 Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
On our campus and in our asset management, we strive to limit our negative impact on the environment, and - better yet - actively contribute to solutions. Below you can read some fact on our green campus.
- Did you know that we have Sedum roofs on the Faculty Club, Dante, Simon, Warande and Cobbenhagen buildings?
- The pond in front of the Warande building is a Wadi: a biotope with salamanders, frogs and insects.
- Tilburg University offers Public Drinking Water Taps. You can refill your reusable bottle or water bottle for free.
- 36.000 liter of rainwater collection under the ground level of Sport Center is used to flush toilets
- Our catering has a focus on health and sustainability. This means there will be a wide range of products with less salt, fat and sugar, without compromising taste. Besides that, the reduction of meat consumption is being encouraged, there is a focus on reducing waste and the use of sustainable means of transport.