English proficiency requirements
Since our Bachelor's programs are taught in English, a good verbal and written command of this language is essential. Therefore all applicants must provide proof of their English proficiency.
- Academic IELTS test with an average minimum score of 6.0 and a minimum score of 5.5 on each part.*
- TOEFL test score with a minimum score of 550 for the paper-based version, or 80 for the internet-based version. The TOEFL institutional code for Tilburg University is 9860.*
- Cambridge English test results: C1 advanced (formerly CAE) or C2 proficiency (formerly CPE). For both C1 and C2, we accept a score of A, B or C.
The certificates must not be older than two years at the moment of application.
*Please note: the minimum requirements for the Data Science program and the Global Law Bachelor differ. For more information, check the admission and application page of Data Science and the Global Law Bachelor.
An English proficiency test is not required if:
- You are a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America.
- You completed your entire secondary education in English either at an international school (completing the IB, the EB, Cambridge International GCSE and A levels) or in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America
- Your high school diploma is the Dutch VWO, the German Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife, or the Belgian Diploma van secundair onderwijs (ASO), and English was one of the examination subjects. Some other high school diplomas where English is an examination subject also give exemption from this requirement, but this will be decided on an individual basis after your application has been assessed.