English proficiency requirements
Since our Bachelor's programs are taught in English, a good verbal and written command of this language is essential. Therefore all applicants must provide proof of their English proficiency.
- Academic IELTS with a minimum overall score of 6.0 and a minimum score of 5.5 for each section.
- TOEFL with a minimum score of 80 for the internet-based test; we do not accept the revised paper-based test. The TOEFL institutional code for Tilburg University is 9860.
- Cambridge English test results: C1 advanced (formerly CAE) or C2 proficiency (formerly CPE). For both C1 and C2, we accept a score of A, B, or C.
The certificates must not be older than two years at the time of application.
Please note: the minimum requirements for the Data Science program and the Global Law Bachelor differ. For more information, please check the admission and application page of Data Science and the Global Law Bachelor.
An English proficiency test is not required if:
- You hold a passport from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States of America.
- You completed your entire secondary education in English in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (with the exeption of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States of America.
- You have an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma with English as the language of instruction, an European Baccalaureate (EB) diploma with English 1 or English 2 or Cambridge International GCSE and A Levels or Advanced Placement examinations.
- Your high school diploma is in the list below and English was one of the examination subjects:
- Dutch, Surinam or Antillean VWO
- Belgian Diploma van Secundair Onderwijs (ASO), richting Algemeen Secundair Onderwijs
- Danish Studentereksamenbevis / Bevis for Høgjere Forberedelseksamen**
- Finnish Ylioppilastutkintotodistus / Studentexamensbevis**
- French Diploma du Baccalauréate Général, option OIB English or American**
- German Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife with a pass for English as one of your Abitur subjects**
- Maltese Matriculation Certificate**
- Norwegian Vitnemål fra den vidergåonde skolen**
- Swedish Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan**
** Please note: Prospective students who are interested in the bachelor Data Science are not exempted. An English proficiency test is required.