English proficiency requirements
Since our Bachelor's programs are taught in English, a good verbal and written command of this language is essential. Therefore all applicants must provide proof of their English proficiency.
- Academic IELTS test with an average minimum score of 6.0 and a minimum score of 5.5 on each part.*
- TOEFL test score with a minimum score of 550 for the paper-based version, or 80 for the internet-based version. The TOEFL institutional code for Tilburg University is 9860.*
- Cambridge English test results: C1 advanced (formerly CAE) or C2 proficiency (formerly CPE). For both C1 and C2, we accept a score of A, B or C.
The certificates must not be older than two years at the moment of application.
*Please note: the minimum requirements for the Data Science program and the Global Law Bachelor differ. For more information, please check the admission and application page of Data Science and the Global Law Bachelor.
An English proficiency test is not required if:
- You are a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America.
- You completed your entire secondary education in English in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America
- You have an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma with English as the language of instruction, an European Baccalaureate (EB) diploma with English 1 or English 2 or Cambridge International GCSE and A Levels.
- Your high school diploma is the Dutch VWO or the Belgian Diploma van Secundair Onderwijs (ASO), richting Algemeen Secundair Onderwijs and English was one of the examination subjects.
- Your high school diploma is the Danish Studentereksamenbevis/Bevis for Høgjere Forberedelseksamen, the Finnish Ylioppilastutkintotodistus/Studentexamensbevis, the German Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife, the Maltese Matriculation Certificate, the Norwegian Vitnemål fra den vidergåonde skolen or the Swedish Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan and English was one of the examination subjects**.
**Please note: Prospective students who are interested in the bachelor Data Science are not exempted. An English proficiency test is required.