Bachelors Tilburg University


As an international student, you will need to arrange several practical matters for a carefree stay in the Netherlands, including immigration formalities.

If you are a non-EEA national, you may require a visa before travelling to the Netherlands as well as a residence permit for the duration of your stay. Tilburg University has an Immigration Office which will guide you through the process.

If you require a visa or residence permit, you will be contacted by our immigration officer after you have been admitted. We will inform you about the immigration process and what you have to do – and when – to make sure that you arrive on time for the start of the program.

Visa or provisional residence permit (MVV)

As an international student entering the Netherlands, you must carefully check whether you require a visa or a provisional residence permit (‘Machtiging Voorlopig Verblijf’ or MVV) that allows you entry to the Netherlands. This document is issued by the Dutch embassy or consulate. You will have to apply for your visa prior to your arrival in the Netherlands.

Please note that a visa is not the same as a residence permit. A residence permit is a document necessary for staying in the Netherlands and should be applied for after your arrival here.

Residence permit (VVR)

A residence permit (‘Verblijfsvergunning’ or VVR) allows you to stay in the Netherlands for a sustained period of time. To obtain a residence permit you must provide financial documents that prove you have sufficient means to cover your costs of both studying and living in the Netherlands.