Program and courses BSc Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence has become part of our daily lives. Our mobile phones are filled with it. And what to think of health care robots, self-driving cars and serious games? And what do these Artificial Intelligence systems need to be capable of to communicate with their users or to function autonomously? And how do you ensure that this happens ethically?
To answer these questions, you study how, among other things, human intelligence and machine learning work. You also learn how to design and develop Artificial Intelligence applications. Additionally, much attention is paid to the societal and ethical consequences of the use of intelligent systems in our daily lives.
Structure of the program
The curriculum of the international Bachelor’s program in Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence builds up progressively. This means that courses are attuned to one another and that you deepen your knowledge in different themes, such as human cognition, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing and computer programming, throughout the program.
In the first year you take introductory courses. In the second year you go into more depth by applying your knowledge and skills to themes such as Machine Learning and Human-Computer Interaction. You also gain experience in conducting research. In the third year you can, for example, choose a minor in the field of Data Science or Neuroscience. You also have the opportunity to go on an exchange semester. You will finish your program with a Bachelor’s thesis.
During your studies you will take part in the Program for Academic Study Success (PASS). This program is designed to support you during your studies and to keep up with your progress. Students are divided in small groups and receive guidance from a mentor. Towards the end of your studies the accent of the mentorship shifts from study progress to job market orientation.
Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence is an independent English-taught program within the Bachelor Communication and Information Sciences. All courses are taught in English. 40% of the students is international.
Year 1 Content
Year 2 Content
Year 3 Content
How technical is the program Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence?
Technique is an important component of the program. Each student develops (basic) skills in programming, statistics and mathematics. These skills are the building blocks with which you can develop new, intelligent and autonomous systems. In addition, you learn the newest techniques, such as Deep Learning and Machine Learning. You do not need to have any prior knowledge or programming experience: you learn everything in the program. Students who already have experience with these techniques have the opportunity to take on an additional challenge.
Why in Tilburg?
- Your lecturers are (international) experts who have acquired considerable expertise in (research) institutes such as the Max Planck Institute (Berlin, Germany), the Intelligent Robotics Laboratory (Ishiguro Lab, Osaka, Japan), and top-ranked universities (i.e. University of Edinburgh, University of Memphis, Indiana University, University of Toronto, and Harvard Medical School).
- The program is involved in research projects of organizations such as Mind-Labs, the Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) and Netspar.
- The courses offered include current research conducted in the field of Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence. This way, you are constantly up-to-date on the latest developments. The program has its own Virtual and Augmented Reality Lab, a Robotics Lab and Computing Clusters, where students, scientists, and external stakeholders work together on innovative projects.
- You learn advanced techniques in the field of data processing, such as Data Mining, Deep Learning and Multi Agent Systems. This state-of-the-art knowledge gives you a head start in the job market.
- The curriculum is unique because of its strong interdisciplinary approach: in the courses you combine themes like human cognition, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing and programming.
- There is ample attention for computing skills, big data and understanding ethical and moral aspects of artificial intelligence.
Programs are subject to change, so we advise our students to check their exact program in the education catalogue at the official start of the academic year.
Interested in the Bachelor's program in Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application