Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc
The interdisciplinary Bachelor’s program Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence integrates the study of artificial intelligence with the study of human cognition. The program offers a balanced mix of theory and practice and includes courses on programming, Machine learning and Deep learning. By exploring topics such as the interaction between humans and technology, the program equips you to develop technological innovations that benefit society.
Short overview of Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence
- The program promotes ‘learning by doing’. It confronts you with real-world problems and acquaints you with AI applications in a variety of settings, for example by participating in project with external partners
- Education is offered in a state-of-the-art environment with several labs, including Mind Labs, a Robot Lab, and a Virtual and Mixed Reality Lab.
- Ethics and AI is an integrated part of the program, stimulating you to develop AI solutions that are ethical and sustainable
Program and courses
In this English-taught program, you learn about how intelligent systems operate and how it is related to the workings of the human brain. The study handles questions like: 'Can computers interpret human emotions in a reliable way? How much meaning can be derived from language? What is required to create a natural interaction between a human and a robot? How do you avoid ‘black box’ software, where the user doesn’t understand how decisions or conclusions are reached? What is the potential impact of Augmented Reality on our experience of the world?'
- In the first year you take introductory courses in the fields of artificial intelligence, and human cognition. In addition, you will gain basic programming skills.
- In the second year you deepen your knowledge. You will apply your knowledge and skills within themes such as Machine Learning and Human-Computer and Human-Robot-Interaction. You will also gain experience in conducting research.
- In the third year you follow specialization courses (for example: an Introduction to Machine Learning and Advanced Programming). You will also follow a minor. In this minor you can choose between gaining in-depth knowledge of your study program or broadening your perspective by taking courses from a different discipline at Tilburg University, a different university in the Netherlands or even abroad. You finish your studies by writing a Bachelor’s Thesis.
Typical courses are:
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence 1 & 2
Explore in what ways the intelligent behavior of living organisms is copied by computers and machines and how this knowledge can be applied to solve problems.
- Human-Computer Interaction for CSAI
Understand how humans and computers interact. Specifically, how psychological models are applied in new computer interfaces, such as website designs, apps, and other everyday digital aids.
- Introduction to Deep Learning
Delve into the fundamentals of Deep Learning and learn about the main building blocks of Deep Neural Networks and the primary algorithms used to train them. You will also develop practical skills to apply Deep Learning techniques to a variety of problems through hands-on sessions and project-based assignments
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
- Enigma is the study association for Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence students. They organize a variety of social and educational events, from workshops and guest lectures to hackathons and research presentations, to help their members learn, grow, and connect with others who share their passion for the fields of Cognitive Science and AI.
- Challenge yourself by participating in our on-top programs.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you have completed a Master's program, you will have favorable career prospects as an Intelligent Software Developer, AI Researcher or Machine Learning Engineer.
Graduates found work at Microsoft, Incentro or Capgemini.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- A good knowledge of mathematics is important for being successful in this Bachelor’s program. In order to be admitted, you must therefore prove that you have sufficient knowledge of mathematics.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|Starting from € 550 per month
|Foods & Drinks
|€ 200 per month
|Books & Readers
|€ 65 per month
|€ 100 per month
|+ € 139.95 per year
The Bachelor's program in less than 3 minutes
"The Intersection of Cognitive Science with rapid advancements in the age of AI is what makes CSAI most appealing to me. The interdisciplinarity, open-mindedness and diverse range of courses in CSAI is what keeps it so interactive, while broadening its application in multiple areas."
"'There’s more than meets the eye' is a perfect way to describe the field of AI. Behind every system, be it simple or very complex, an interdisciplinary team has worked together to optimize the outcome. And this concept is precisely what this Bachelor's program focuses on."
"What intrigues me is the opportunity to explore the intersection of various disciplines, revealing the intricate connection between human cognition and AI. It's more than just studying—it's about shaping the future alongside fellow passionate learners in a vibrant community."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. The webinar takes place from 10:00 until 11:00 CET.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on April 3 or May 8! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
08:45 - 17:00
Student for a day Bachelor's programs
Do you have a specific study program in mind or are you still considering various options? Join one or more of our Student for a day event(s) from April 10 until 18. Together with our students you can attend a variety of mini-lectures and discover whether the study program suits you. Sign up for Student for a day now!
All information in one e-brochure
Create your own e-brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, and student life in Tilburg.
Are you and Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence a match? If you...
are good at logical reasoning, analyzing and have a creative mindset
are curious about how computers and robots show intelligent behavior
are interested in being at the forefront of how technological innovations can be used in a responsible way to benefit society
Then this is the program for you!