In the Bachelor's program in Economics you will study how people, companies and governments make certain decisions (microeconomics) and how these decisions affect the economy as a whole (macroeconomics). You will learn how to use economic models to analyze and interpret changes in the local and global economic landscape.
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
US News Best Global Universities, 2023
in your classroom from all over the world
Elsevier Best Studies 2022
Short overview of BSc Economics
Program and courses
Economics focuses on the environment in which individuals, companies and countries relate to each other. You will focus on the big picture and how different forces are at work in a global economy. Business related courses only play a small role in the program in order to allow for a specialized focus on economics. You will also learn how to use mathematics, statistics, and develop your programming skills to analyze the economy.
- The first year will give you a solid foundation in the core micro- and macroeconomics topics. Mathematics and Statistics will serve as tools: they are a language used to understand economic models.
- The second year will build on the knowledge you have gained in the first year. You will delve into microeconomics and macroeconomics more in-depth, gaining specialized knowledge in a range of courses such as Development Economics or International Trade.
- In the third year you can study abroad for one semester at one of our many partner universities around the world, or you can stay in Tilburg and take elective courses. Your thesis is the crowning achievement of all your hard work.
Typical courses are:
- Macro-economics 1
Learn different aspects of international economics, such as how exchange rates, capital flows between countries, and the trade balance are affected by policies and shocks.
- Development Economics
Where do poverty and inequality come from and how to ensure economic growth?
- Experimental and Behavioral Economics
Discover how experiments can be used to make analysis about behavior and economics.
Why this Bachelor's program in Tilburg?
Study Economics in Tilburg
- Follow a unique program in the Netherlands with a specialized focus on economics.
- Economics in Tilburg is a high-quality program: Tilburg holds excellent international rankings in the fields of economics and business.
- Follow in the footsteps of our graduates and receive the solid analytical foundation you need to be fully prepared for a Master’s program at a top university in the Netherlands or abroad.
- A small scale program with interactive teaching methods, and therefore you are in close contact with your international lecturers and fellow students.
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
- Join one of our student organizations. It's a great way to meet like-minded students and make friends.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Economics, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you have completed a Master's program, you will have favorable career prospects, for example as an economist or data analyst.
Graduates found work at accountancy firms, insurance companies and in the banking world.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- A good knowledge of mathematics is important for being successful in this Bachelor’s program. In order to be admitted, you must therefore prove that you have sufficient knowledge of mathematics.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
More information on the tuition fees and rates
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||Starting from € 550 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
Other Bachelor's programs you might like
Related Bachelor's programs
- If you want to learn how to apply mathematics to real life challenges in the field of business and economics is an exciting puzzle for you, then Econometrics and Operations Research could be interesting for you.
- Take a look at International Business Administration as well, if you are more interested in how to run a business and if you want to develop a commercial perspective.
- LLB Global Law could be a match if you are interested in relationships between countries, but from a legal perspective.
Do you want more information on this Bachelor's program?
"The international aspects of our courses and the many international students give me an insight into how the world works. My favorite fields are development economics (why are countries poor and what can we do about this?) and behavioral economics (how can we explain and influence decision-making?)."
"If I had to choose one word to describe my experience at Tilburg University, it would be 'rewarding'. I have found an international and welcoming environment here, which, when combined with the rigor of the classes and the expertise of the teachers, has equipped me to confront the challenges that life may bring in the future."
Victor Digues LacerdaBachelor's student
"The way we tackle and understand economic issues is constantly changing. The university sits at the top of this revolution, enabling me with the tools necessary to drive this change and a better way of understanding society in the 21st century."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
09:15 - 17:00
Bachelor's Open day
Do you want to know which Bachelor's program suits you best? Sign up for the Bachelor’s Open day on Saturday, October 28. Get to know more about our international Bachelor's programs and ask our students, teachers and study advisors all your questions. You can join our Open day on campus or online!
To be announced
Student for a day Bachelor's programs
Do you have a specific study program in mind or are you still considering various options? Join one or more of our Student for a day event(s) this fall, 2023. Together with our students you can attend a variety of mini-lectures and discover whether the study program suits you.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Create your personalized brochure
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Economics a match? If you...
like using economic models to better understand the world around you
are interested in what motivates many of the decisions that people, companies and governments make
are not afraid of some math
Then this is the program for you!