Study how people, companies and governments make certain decisions (microeconomics) and how these decisions affect the economy as a whole (macroeconomics). In the Bachelor's program Economics, you will learn how to use economic models to analyze and interpret changes in the local and global economic landscape. You will delve into current micro and macroeconomics topics such as economic growth and inequality, or economics and the environment.
US News Best Global Universities, 2023
in your classroom from all over the world
Elsevier Best Studies 2023
Short overview of Economics
- One of a kind in the Netherlands, this international program focuses on economics - the big picture and how different forces are at work in a global economy- from the very first year.
- The program pays a lot of attention to current affairs and how the economy shapes our daily lives.
- It is a small-scale program, with a large amount of personal contact, supervision and interactive teaching methods from day one.
Program and courses
Economics focuses on the environment in which individuals, companies and countries relate to each other. You will focus on the big picture and how different forces are at work in a global economy. Business related courses only play a small role in the program in order to allow for a specialized focus on economics. You will also learn how to use mathematics, statistics, and develop your programming skills to analyze the economy.
- The first year will give you a solid foundation in the core micro- and macroeconomics topics. Mathematics and Statistics will serve as tools: they are a language used to understand economic models.
- The second year will build on the knowledge you have gained in the first year. You will delve into microeconomics and macroeconomics more in-depth, gaining specialized knowledge in a range of courses such as Development Economics or International Trade.
- In the third year you can study abroad for one semester at one of our many partner universities around the world, choose to do an internship, or you can stay in Tilburg and take a minor in economics & management and elective courses. Your thesis is the crowning achievement of all your hard work.
Typical courses are:
- Macro 1: Principles
Learn different aspects of international economics, such as how exchange rates, capital flows between countries, and the trade balance are affected by policies and shocks.
- Micro 1: Principles
Learn about the economic behavior of individual economic decision-makers and about the interaction of economic agents.
This course teaches you to recognize economic problems as mathematical problems and provides mathematical tools for solving these problems.
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
- Join one of our student organizations. It's a great way to meet like-minded students and make friends.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Economics, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you have completed a Master's program, you will have favorable career prospects, for example as an economist or data analyst.
Graduates found work at accountancy firms, insurance companies and in the banking world.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- A good knowledge of mathematics is important for being successful in this Bachelor’s program. In order to be admitted, you must therefore prove that you have sufficient knowledge of mathematics.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||Starting from € 550 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
The Bachelor's program in less than 3 minutes
"The international aspects of our courses and the many international students give me an insight into how the world works. My favorite fields are development economics (why are countries poor and what can we do about this?) and behavioral economics (how can we explain and influence decision-making?)."
"If I had to choose one word to describe my experience at Tilburg University, it would be 'rewarding'. I have found an international and welcoming environment here, which, when combined with the rigor of the classes and the expertise of the teachers, has equipped me to confront the challenges that life may bring in the future."
"The way we tackle and understand economic issues is constantly changing. The university sits at the top of this revolution, enabling me with the tools necessary to drive this change and a better way of understanding society in the 21st century."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university.
To be announced
Application and Admission - Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you interested in a Bachelor’s program at Tilburg University, and do you want to know more about the application procedure for international students? Take the first step towards a successful application by joining our Application and Admission Webinar for our Bachelor’s programs. The next webinar is taking place at the beginning of February 2024.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Are you and Economics a match? If you...
like using economic models to better understand the world around you
are interested in what motivates many of the decisions that people, companies and governments make
are not afraid of some math
Then this is the program for you!