Global Law LLB
The nature of legal practice has become more complex. The LLB Global Law prepares you for this new reality. It takes the study of law beyond the limits of a single judicial system and instead students learn to combine different legal systems and jurisdictions to solve transnational challenges. Gain academic depth and develop essential skills, to tackle global legal challenges and situate them in a wider social and economic context. Become the linking pin in cross-border cases involving various players, such as states, companies, banks and NGOs.
Education as of September 2022 | Global Law
In the academic year 2022/2023, this Bachelor's program offers hybrid education, meaning the following:
- Students can choose to attend the classes either fully online or on campus/hybrid.
- Exams will be organized exclusively online.
- Classes and exams will be scheduled according to the Central European Time zone.
- We do not offer recordings of these classes, but preparatory knowledge clips are used.
If you apply for the Bachelor Global Law, you will receive more information about the online and on campus/hybrid option after you have been (conditionally) admitted.
For the latest updates on the corona situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
Short overview of LLB Global Law
Program and courses
Global Law offers a solid foundation in legal training: the program covers all topics traditionally found in legal education, such as contract law, tort law, criminal law, administrative law, property law, and constitutional law. But this program takes the study of law beyond the limits of a single judicial system and legal solutions from a variety of jurisdictions and systems.
- During the first year you will become familiar with the law through courses such as History of International Law and Global Legal History. The first year also incorporates a strong interdisciplinary component, which helps you to develop the skills needed to collaborate with experts from other, non-legal disciplines, such as economists and sociologists.
- From the second year on, the program shifts its focus: from interdisciplinary courses you will move over to strong legal courses. You really delve into law. At the same time, the program will keep its unique trans-national perspective.
- The third year is the time to complete your program and to get ready for graduation. You will have the opportunity to go on exchange in the first semester, but you can also stay in Tilburg and choose between different minors. Additionally, you will write your thesis during your last semester.
Typical courses are:
- Business for Lawyers
Relate to and apply the knowledge on relevant economic theories, in particular with respect to the role of information, in understanding and analyzing the market and contractual mechanisms in conducting mergers and acquisitions.
- Law, Technology and Society
This course provides an introduction to the role of law with regard to ICT and biotechnology, and also a panorama of the many challenges that lawmakers face in today's technology-pervaded world.
- Obligations and Contract Law
Learn all about the basic rules and principles of contract law and the different stages of life of contract.
Why this Bachelor's program in Tilburg?
Study Global Law in Tilburg
- Become fully qualified for a great job: international companies and governmental institutions are urgently looking for lawyers who can find their way around different legal systems and can situate law in its social and economic context at all levels e.g. local, national or global.
- Follow a unique program: there is no other bachelor's program in which you will study law from different legal systems.
- Already have a degree? Then you might be eligible for our fast track: get credit for courses offered in the first year, and graduate in just two years’ time.
- The interactive nature, the mentoring program and mandatory class attendance results in a very high success rate with, correspondingly, very few drop outs.
- In the third year, you can choose to broaden your knowledge by going on an exchange abroad, or you can choose one of the minors.
Global Law explained in a few minutes (video - 2:36 min)
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
- Join one of our student organizations. A great way to meet like-minded students and make friends.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence.
Students are encouraged to be active in extracurricular activities: in the IE University Comparitive Law in Action Competion students were asked to think outside the box for a multi-dimensional crisis. With successful outcome: the students of Global Law won the competition of 2021.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Global Law, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you've completed a Master's program, you'll have favorable career prospects as a legal counsel or compliance analyst.
Graduates found work at Brandl & Talos Rechtsanwälte (international law firm in Vienna), Accenture, Reynen Court LLC, Simmons & Simmens and KPMG.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- If you already have a Bachelor's or Master's degree from an academic institution of higher education, you may be eligible for the fast track, starting in year 2.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
Tuition fees for international students
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
- The institutional fee of Global Law for non-EU students is lowered by a tuition fee waiver, for the academic year 2022-2023 applies that the institutional fee of €15,100 is lowered to €11,100.
- All fees are subject to change. Exceptions might apply depending on your personal situation.
Other Bachelor's programs you might like
Related Bachelor's programs
- If you especially like combining insights from social sciences, law, humanities and business, check out the University College Tilburg: Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- International Business Administration may also be in line with pursuing a career in an international organization or starting your own business.
"The programme gives you so many opportunities to step out of your comfort zone with different international classmates and various intriguing topics."
“Anyone can read a law book, but that does not make you a good lawyer. It is about developing personal skills and social responsibility, learning to work together as well as to work independently, to communicate, and to foster leadership skills."
"Tilburg University is everything I looked for in a university experience. Global Law in particular is a unique, challenging course that has helped me define my future in law."
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Bachelor's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Bachelor’s programs. Join the webinar on October 14, either at 10:00 or at 16:00 CEST.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinar Bachelor's program in Psychology
This webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying a Bachelor's program in Psychology at Tilburg University. Psychology is a Numerus Fuxis program, which means you will go through a selection procedure after applying. During this interactive webinar, you will get information on the application and selection procedure, and you can ask all your questions! Join us on October 21 at 10:00 or 16:00 CEST.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Global Law a match? If you...
want to know more about how law works around the world
are internationally minded
always pay attention to details
Then this is the program for you!