LLB Global Law
The nature of legal practice has become more complex. The LLB Global Law prepares you for this new reality. Combine different legal systems and jurisdictions to solve transnational challenges. Gain academic depth and develop practical skills, which will help you to tackle global legal challenges and place them in a wider social and economic context. Become the linking pin in cross-border cases involving various players, such as states, companies, banks and NGOs.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
This academic year, education will take place partly online and partly on campus depending on the corona measures in place. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff.
- There is an exception for the students that have opted to follow this program online in the academic year 2021/2022.
- The online options for the academic year 2022/2023 have not yet been decided upon. Therefore, students should take into account the possibility that in the next academic year, starting in September 2022, education will be organized fully on campus also for this program. When you apply for this program you will be informed about the practical matters.
Short overview of LLB Global Law
Program and courses
Global Law offers a solid foundation in legal training: the program covers all topics traditionally found in legal education, such as contract law, tort law, criminal law, administrative law, property law, and constitutional law. But this program takes the study of law beyond the limits of a single judicial system and you learn to identify complex legal problems and legal solutions from a variety of jurisdictions, with a focus on trans-jurisdictional developments.
- During the first year you will become familiar with the law through courses such as History of International Law and Methods & Techniques. The first year also has a strong interdisciplinary component, which helps you to develop the skills needed to collaborate with experts from other, non-legal disciplines.
- From the second year on, the program shifts its focus: from interdisciplinary courses you will move over to strong legal courses. You really delve into law. At the same time, the program will keep its unique trans-national perspective.
- The third year is the time to complete your program and to get ready for graduation. You will have the opportunity to go on exchange in the first semester, but you can also stay in Tilburg and choose between different minors. Additionally, you will write your thesis during your last semester.
Typical courses are:
- Business for Lawyers
Relate to and apply the knowledge on relevant economic theories, in particular with respect to the role of information, in understanding and analyzing the market and contractual mechanisms in conducting mergers and acquisitions.
- Law, Technology and Society
This course provides an introduction to the role of law with regard to ICT and biotechnology, and also a panorama of the many challenges that lawmakers face in today's technology-pervaded world.
- Obligations and Contract Law
Learn all about the basic rules and principles of contract law and the different stages of life of contract.
Why this program in Tilburg?
Study Global Law in Tilburg
- Become fully qualified for a great job: international companies and governmental institutions are urgently looking for lawyers who can find their way around different legal systems and can situate law in its social and economic context at all levels e.g. local, national or global.
- Follow a unique program: there is no other bachelor's program in which you will study law from different legal systems.
- Already have a degree? Then you might be eligible for our fast track: get credit for courses offered in the first year, and graduate in just two years’ time.
- The interactive nature, the mentoring program and mandatory class attendance results in a very high success rate with, correspondingly, very few drop outs.
- In the third year, you can choose to broaden your knowledge by going on an exchange abroad, or you can choose one of the minors.
Global Law explained in a few minutes (video - 2:36 min)
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor: Extracurricular Activities
- Join one of our student organizations. A great way to meet like-minded students and make friends.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence.
Students are encouraged to be active in extracurricular activities: in the IE University Comparitive Law in Action Competion students were asked to think outside the box for a multi-dimensional crisis. With successful outcome: the students of Global Law won the competition of 2021.
After your Bachelor's
Pursue a Master's degree
Most of our students continue towards a master's degree after completing their bachelor's degree. For example:
With your Bachelor of Laws degree, you have a range of different career options in the legal field. In general, two prominent career paths can be distinguished.
- The first one is the path towards traditional legal professions .
- The second one is the path towards becoming a lawyer in an organization or company .
The interdisciplinary components of the program prepare you to become a key figure in an international organization, for example as the linking pin between the legal and the marketing departments, accounting or development experts in the organization. These skills are vital in other organizations as well, both governmental and non-governmental.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- If you already have a Bachelor's or Master's degree from an academic institution of higher education, you may be eligible for the fast track, starting in year 2.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
Tuition fees for international students
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
- The institutional fee of Global Law for non-EU students is lowered by a tuition fee waiver, for the academic year 2022-2023 applies that the institutional fee of €14,900 is lowered to €10,900.
- All fees are subject to change. Exceptions might apply depending on your personal situation.
Other programs you might like
Related Bachelor's programs
- If you especially like combining insights from social sciences, law, humanities and business, check out the University College Tilburg: Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- International Business Administration may also be in line with pursuing a career in an international organization or starting your own business.
"The best part about this program is the fact that it has so many international students, this allows for interesting discussions inside and outside the classroom.""
"A truly global experience! Marked through international classmates and the latest global topics."
"Tilburg University is everything I looked for in a university experience. Global Law in particular is a unique, challenging course that has helped me define my future in law."
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinar for Bachelor's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Bachelor’s programs. Sign up for the live webinar on February 18 or April 19.
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Bachelor's programs
Do you have questions about the application procedure for international students? This one-hour interactive session will give you useful information on what you can expect from the application process. It is also your chance to ask any questions you might have.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Global Law a match? If you...
want to know more about how law works around the world
are internationally minded
always pay attention to details
Then this is the program for you!