Global Management of Social Issues BSc
In this Bachelor, you will approach complex societal challenges in an international context from an organizational and managerial perspective. You will learn how to run projects and compose teams that work on complex social issues called 'wicked problems'. Global Management of Social Issues integrates knowledge from three academic fields in the social sciences: Human Resource Studies, Organization and Management Studies, and Sociology.
QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2023
choose an internship, study abroad, or minor
in your classroom
Short overview of Global Management of Social Issues
- Approach current complex societal issues (wicked problems) from a multidisciplinary perspective and develop analytical thinking skills.
- Work with academics and students from all over the world in a small-scale and interactive learning environment.
- Take part in simulation exercises (as a part of a humanitarian emergency response team) or participate in the Model United Nations (MUN) to train your leadership, team working and project management skills.
Program and courses
Learn how to approach complex societal challenges in an international context from an organizational and management perspective. Additionally, you will learn to understand and manage these international societal challenges by combining insights from Human Resource Studies, Organization and Management Studies, and Sociology.
- During the first year, you will take courses from three disciplines within the social sciences: Human Resource Studies, Organization and Management Studies, and Sociology. Through these courses, you will develop an initial understanding of the backgrounds, nature and causes of wicked problems, such as poverty, migration, climate change, and humanitarian interventions after a natural disaster.
- From the second year on, you will increase your knowledge of and insights in theories dealing with complex societal and organizational problems and wicked problems.
- During the third year, you will integrate the theoretical knowledge and insights from the first and second year in a practical way. There are several opportunities available. You can participate in a project that deals with wicked problems or an internship either abroad or in the Netherlands at an organization in an international context. It is also possible to take additional minor courses or do your minor abroad. You will finish your program with a Bachelor’s thesis.
What are 'wicked problems'? (video - 2:44 min)
Typical courses are:
- Wicked problems 101
Many of the current, most pressing societal challenges involve dealing with complex social, policy and organizational problems, so-called ‘wicked’ problems.
- International Organizations
This course has two parts. In the first part, the course an introduction is to international organizations such as the United Nations (UN) and the World Trade Organization (WTO). The second part focuses on how international organizations attempt to cope and tackle global complex policy issues. The course encompasses a field trip to international organizations in The Hague.
- Financial and Project Management
The aim of this course is to increase the basic knowledge and understanding of financial and project management.
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
- Join our Study Association Polis. They organize multiple formal and informal activities for their members.
- Join the faculty association IDEA.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence, such as an honors program.
- Do an internship, study abroad or do minor courses during the mobility window.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Global Management of Social Issues, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you have completed a Master's program, you will have favorable career prospects as a consultant, HR manager, or social entrepreneur.
Graduates found work at Doctors Without Borders, Greenpeace, the Red Cross, Philips, KLM, Rabobank, Ahold, PwC, and Unicef.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- A good knowledge of mathematics is important for being successful in this Bachelor’s program. In order to be admitted, you must therefore prove that you have sufficient knowledge of mathematics.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|Starting from € 550 per month
|Foods & Drinks
|€ 200 per month
|Books & Readers
|€ 65 per month
|€ 100 per month
|+ € 139.95 per year
The Bachelor's program in 4 minutes
"What I like most about GMSI is that the program is very versatile and that you look at the different subjects with an international mindset."
"The GMSI program offers me multiple perspectives on contemporary social issues and enhances my critical thinking of the functioning of organizations. The classes are vibrant with engaged international students."
"During my internship at Care Nederland I did research on social media use for women's rights in Afghanistan. My research gave me even more insight into the challenges that women in Afghanistan have to face every day."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
09:30 - 16:15
Bachelor's Open day
Find out everything about studying in Tilburg in the Netherlands during the Bachelor's Open day on March 2. Check out our offer of international Bachelor's programs and talk to students, teachers and study advisors.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. The webinar takes place from 10:00 until 11:00 CET.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on April 3 or May 8! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
All information in one e-brochure
Create your own e-brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, and student life in Tilburg.
Related Bachelor's programs
Are you and Global Management of Social Issues a match? If you...
are interested in Global Issues and want to have an impact on society
want to pursue an international career
are looking for a challenge, and have an analytical and critical attitude
Then this is the program for you!