Extracurricular activities BSc Human Resource Studies: People Management
At Tilburg University, you can hone your skills through a range of extracurricular activities and opportunities outside the classroom.
You can, for example, participate in our exciting and challenging on top programs, or take an internship and gain work experience in your field of interest. You can also broaden your horizon by following workshops or trainings, or by becoming an active member in a study association.
During your studies, you will have the opportunity to study abroad. As an exchange student, you can follow courses for one semester at a partner university abroad. As this is an international program, you are encouraged to use these opportunities. The International Relations Office at Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences is available to help you with this process.
Internships are not a mandatory part of the Human Resource Studies: People Management program, but it can be a useful addition to your studies. You can fit an internship in your third year of studies. Doing an internship is very helpful, because you get firsthand experience in your field of interest. It will also help you to see if such a job suits you.
Programs of excellence
Are you looking for an additional dimension to your Bachelor's studies? Then you can widen your academic horizon in one of the Tilburg University programs of excellence. The Honors Program, the Outreaching Program, and the Excellence Program all offer challenging and inspiring education. Develop yourself, deepen your interests, and get to know other disciplines. It is the ideal way to show more of yourself.
If you are interested in an even greater intellectual challenge, or in a chance to broaden your scientific knowledge, you will have the opportunity to take part in the Discourses on Europe / Honors Program. This is a supplementary program consisting of eight courses, four of which you can choose yourself. The program leads to a Tilburg University Honors Certificate in addition to your Bachelor's degree.
Outreaching Honors Program
Do you want to make a difference within society, both nationally and internationally? Then the Outreaching Honors Program is definitely something for you! This program will help you to understand society from more perspectives than just your own field of study. You will develop skills that will be essential after your studies but that cannot be taught in a classroom. During your second and third year, you will learn how to implement scientific knowledge of present-day themes. You will be challenged to gain international experience, and you will be prepared for a top career in society. In this way, you will develop yourself as a leader of the future.
Did you achieve good grades in your first year, and do you want to get more from your studies? Then you could participate in the Excellence Program of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Within this program, you will enhance your knowledge by following extra courses within the field of social and behavioral sciences. The Excellence Program is an intensive, activating, interdisciplinary English program which contains four courses on top of the regular curriculum. It is spread out over the four semesters of the second and third year of studies.
Each field of study has its own study association at Tilburg University, which organizes both study and social related activities.
International student association: I*ESN
Tilburg University also has one international student association, I*ESN, which emphasizes getting to know students from around the world and having fun together. Membership is open to all internationally-minded students, of all nationalities.
I*ESN is based at Carpe Diem, located at the Heuvelring in the city centre.
- A Facebook group where you can buy and sell secondhand stuff to/from other students.
- International dinners.
- Trips (to e.g. international city break, ski trip).
- Voluntary work.
- Other social activities, such as the Pub Quiz.
- Introduction camp.
- Discounts at various shops and restaurants in Tilburg.
- More than 1,000 different discounts in 137 different cities throughout Europe.
- Buddy/mentor groups - they come together every week and twice a month respectively to have dinner and then go to Carpe Diem for a drink or party. Each group of students gets one or two mentors or buddies who already know Tilburg well and can make it easier for students to find their way in Tilburg. I*ESN also has committees in which you can become active.
- As a student you can do sports at the university. We also have facilities for students who play sports at a high or (semi-)professional level.
- You are allowed to follow extra courses next to your studies, including courses from other Schools. In addition, you can follow language courses at the Language Center or participate in the Tilburg University Summer School in July and August.
- A lot of students have a job next to their studies. Tilburg has many restaurants, bars, cultural organizations, stores, and other companies where you can work. Tilburg University also hires student assistants, for example to assist in a specific course or to help out at a Department. However, non-EEA students need to be aware that there may be restrictions on working hours, according to your nationality. For more information, please go to the Study in Holland website.
- Enthusiastic students are also able to volunteer to give information sessions about their studies in order to promote their program and motivate other people to join their study program.
- Every now and then, a special reading or guest lecture is given that is open to everyone. Usually the speaker is a specialist or someone very knowledgeable on the topic, often with firsthand experience.