University College Tilburg: Liberal Arts and Sciences
In the interdisciplinary Bachelor’s program Liberal Arts and Sciences you approach societal challenges from multiple perspectives. By combining insights from a range of scientific disciplines, you discover creative solutions for, and gain an in-depth understanding of complex global issues. You will attend lectures by experts from professional fields such as law, economics, philosophy, sociology, psychology and cognitive neurosciences.
to choose from
in your class
in this program
Short overview of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Program and courses
After a broad, interdisciplinary foundation in the first year, you will specialize in one of our five majors in the second year. You can expand or deepen your expertise through electives and a minor that best fits your interests.
- During your first year you familiarize yourself with the core disciplines of the program.
- In the second year you specialize in a chosen major. You will follow both mandatory and elective courses. You can choose from five majors:
- Business and Economics
- Law in an International Context
- Social Sciences: Human Behavior
- Arts and Humanities: Past – Present – Future
- Cognitive Neuroscience: Brain and Cognition
- In your third year, you largely combine your own curriculum. You have the opportunity to follow electives outside of your study program at one of Tilburg University’s prestigious national or international partner universities. During the second semester, you conclude the study program by writing your Bachelor thesis. Depending on your major, you obtain the title Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science.
Typical courses are:
- Individuals and Collectives: Introduction to Business and Economics and Social Sciences
Using theories from Social Sciences and Business & Economics, you gain a thorough understanding of the theme sustainability. Learn how sustainability is closely related to social relationships and individual decision making, how businesses and individuals allocate scarce resources, and what happens when individual and collective interests do not align.
- Imagining Justice: Introduction to Law and Humanities
Get acquainted with important works at the intersection of law and the humanities. Discuss them in the context of their time as well as their relevance to contemporary issues, such as law and morality, civil disobedience, human rights and civil rights, capitalism, refugees, and power relations.
- Mind and Brain: Introduction to Cognitive Neuroscience
Get introduced to the fundamental problems and views of the relationship between the mind and brain. Explore both historical views and the views of contemporary scientists. Gain basic knowledge about the brain and nervous system and become familiar with methods of experimental research on the mind-body relationship.
Why this Bachelor's program in Tilburg?
Study Liberal Arts and Sciences in Tilburg
- Follow courses in an international environment with students from all over the world. Learn from each other’s experiences and points of view and become skilled in collaborating in teams characterized by diversity.
- Learn to fathom complex societal issues by approaching them from multiple perspectives.
- The program is officially recognized as small-scale and intensive education. There is room for studying the material in depth, leading to a lot of interaction with your fellow students and your lecturers.
- Several courses are team-taught, meaning two lecturers from different fields of expertise jointly teach the course to demonstrate how you can approach a question or issue from different angles, right in front of the classroom.
- Study and live in an environment that suits you! University College Tilburg offers you the opportunity of sharing a room with your fellow students*, however this is not mandatory.
*Are you interested in living together with fellow Liberal Arts and Sciences students in the city center of Tilburg? Check Step 7 on the Application and admission page to see when you can apply . There are limited rooms available in the shared housing facility, which means a room cannot be guaranteed.
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
- Join Extra Muros, the Liberal Arts and Sciences student association. They organize academic, cultural and social activities for University College Tilburg’s close-knit and active community.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of our on-top programs.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in UCT: Liberal Arts and Sciences, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you have completed a Master's program, you will have favorable career prospects as a PhD student, or business developer.
Graduates found work at ASML, Greenpeace, de Europese Commissie and UNHCR.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying with a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||Starting from € 550 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
"The challenging and interesting academic disciplines motivated me to think outside the box and become more confident in public speaking. Also, the small-scale international community allowed me to make friends for life."
"My experience here so far has allowed me to explore different academic fields and enhance my skills with professional activities. The program is international, small scale and interactive, which creates an amazing learning environment for every Student."
"This program offered me exposure to an international community, access to courses in different disciplines and many academic and professional possibilities for the future. Choosing this study program has been the most challenging and rewarding decision I could ever imagine."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
16:00 - 17:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. You can join the webinar at 10:00 or 16:00 on October 12.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on October 18 or January 31! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:30 - 16:15
Bachelor's Open day
Do you want to know which Bachelor's program suits you best? Sign up for the Bachelor’s Open day on Saturday, October 28. Learn more about our international Bachelor's programs and ask our students, teachers and study advisors all your questions. You can join our Open day on campus or online!
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Liberal Arts and Sciences a match? If you...
have a broad interest and want to actively engage in discussions and debates
like to reflect on the pressing topics in today's society and you want to actively contribute to solutions
want to be part of an international community
are curious and open to new points of view
Then this is the program for you!