University College Tilburg: Liberal Arts and Sciences
In the interdisciplinary Bachelor’s program in Liberal Arts and Sciences you approach societal challenges from a multitude of perspectives. By combining insights from a range of disciplines such as law, economics, philosophy, sociology, psychology and cognitive neuroscience, you gain an in-depth understanding of complex global issues with different interests at stake.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
This academic year, education will take place partly online and partly on campus depending on the corona measures in place. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. For the latest updates on the corona situation see our FAQs for prospective students and current students.
to choose from
in your classroom
in this program
Short overview of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Program and courses
Liberal Arts and Sciences provides you with a broad, interdisciplinary foundation and the possibility to specialize by choosing one of five majors. The program gives you much opportunity to make your own choices.
- During your first year you will be introduced to the core disciplines covered within the program.
- In the second year you choose a major. This major consists of both compulsory courses and elective courses. You can choose one of five majors:
- Business and Economics
- Law in an International Context
- Social Sciences: Human Behavior
- Arts and Humanities: Past – Present – Future
- Cognitive Neuroscience: Brain and Cognition
- In the third year you can tailor your study program even further. Now you can also choose electives from outside the program, for instance at a university abroad. You finish your studies with a Bachelor’s thesis. Your degree (Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science) depends on the major you choose.
Typical courses are:
- Mind and Brain: Introduction to Neuroscience
Get introduced to the fundamental problems and views of the relationship between mind and brain. Explore both historical views and the views of contemporary scientists. Gain basic knowledge about the brain and nervous system and become familiar with methods of experimental research on the mind-body relationship.
- Imagining Justice: Introduction to Law and Humanities
Get acquainted with important works at the intersection of law and the humanities. Discuss them in the context of their time and explore their relevance with respect to issues of today, such as the human and the non-human/inhuman, law and morality, civil disobedience, human rights and civil rights, capitalism, refugees, and power relations.
- Individuals and Collectives: Introduction to Business & Management and Social Sciences
Gain a thorough understanding of the Social Sciences and Business and Economics fields and apply theories to the theme of sustainability. Learn how sustainability is very much related to social relationships and individual decision making, how businesses and individuals allocate scarce resources, and what happens when individual and collective interests are not aligned.
Why this program in Tilburg?
Study Liberal Arts and Sciences in Tilburg
- You become part of a stimulating, open, diverse and supportive community that includes students from 40+ different countries and diverse social and cultural backgrounds.
- The program offers small-scale and intensive education.
- You will learn how to approach societal challenges from a multitude of perspectives.
- We offer you opportunities to explore and develop relevant skills and tools, such as debating skills, entrepreneurial skills, and tools to deal with failure and adversity.
- Choose whether you want to live within our optional residential setting or in the city center: no mandatory living on campus. You live and study in an environment that suits you best!
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor: Extracurricular Activities
- Become an active member of study association Extra Muros, which organizes a range of academic as well as cultural and social activities for the Liberal Arts and Sciences community.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the Honors programs.
After your Bachelor's
Pursue a Master's degree
Most students pursue a Master's degree after graduating from their Bachelor's degree - before starting their career. Our graduates have been admitted to more than 150 different Master’s programs worldwide. Here are just a few examples of Master's programs you could opt for - depending on your major:
After graduating in Liberal Arts and Sciences, you will have received a well-rounded education, including academic skills that employers commonly cite as highly desirable. You will have the ability to adapt to a variety of tasks and changing work environments.
Depending on your interests, focus and the Master's program you choose, you will then have a wide variety of options. Graduates of Liberal Arts and Sciences at University College Tilburg pursue successful careers in the private, public, and non-profit sectors, as well as in research institutes.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 715 and € 1,215 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||€ 350 - 750 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 - 300 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
"The challenging and interesting academic disciplines made me think outside the box and become more confident in public speaking. Also, the small-scale international community allowed me to make friends for life."
"The Liberal Arts and Sciences program allowed me to develop both academically, as well as personally. It helped me broaden my perspective and deepen my knowledge in various fields - all in an open, diverse and resourceful environment."
"This program offered me exposure to an international community, access to courses in different disciplines and many academic and professional possibilities for the future. Choosing this study program has been the most challenging and rewarding decision I could ever imagine."
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinar for Bachelor's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Bachelor’s programs. Sign up for the live webinar on February 18 or April 19.
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Bachelor's programs
Do you have questions about the application procedure for international students? This one-hour interactive session will give you useful information on what you can expect from the application process. It is also your chance to ask any questions you might have.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Liberal Arts and Sciences a match? If you...
have a broad interest and want to actively engage in discussions and debates
like to reflect on the pressing topics in today's society and you want to actively contribute to solutions
want to be part of an international community
are curious and open to new points of view
Then this is the program for you!