Application and admission for University College Tilburg: Liberal Arts and Sciences
This is the application and admission procedure for applicants with a non-Dutch educational background.
Which application procedure should you follow?
- Follow the international application procedure below only if:
- you are applying based on a non-Dutch school/university education, regardless of your nationality (including Belgium and the Dutch Caribbean).
- you are graduating from an educational institution in the Netherlands with a non-Dutch diploma, such as the full International Baccalaureate or European Baccalaureate diploma.
- Please follow the national application and admission procedure if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality.
a) Check your eligibility
1. Diploma requirements
To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
You can review a list of most commonly accepted diplomas on our website.
- If your diploma is not on the list, this does not necessarily mean that your diploma cannot be accepted. We advise you to submit your application via our online application system so that we can assess your eligibility.
- Haven’t obtained your diploma yet? You are welcome to apply if you are in the final year of your secondary education, but only if you will graduate before the start of your program at Tilburg University (i.e., by the end of August).
2. English language requirements
English language requirements
As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
Tilburg University accepts one of the following tests, which must not be older than two years at the time of application:
- Academic IELTS with a minimum overall score of 6.0 and a minimum score of 5.5 for each section.
- TOEFL with a minimum score of 80 for the internet-based test; we do not accept the revised paper-based test. The TOEFL institutional code for Tilburg University is 9860.
- Cambridge English test results: C1 Advanced (formerly CAE) or C2 Proficiency (formerly CPE). For both C1 and C2, we accept a score of A, B, or C.
Please note: We do not accept a combination of test results on different test dates, e.g., TOEFL's 'My Best Scores'.
For a full overview and list of exemptions, please check out our English language requirements.
3. Student profile
As a student of Liberal Arts and Sciences, you will all contribute to the quality of your own - and each other’s - learning experience. Our admission process ensures you will be studying alongside other interesting, motivated, engaged, ambitious, and globally-minded students.
For Liberal Arts and Sciences we seek candidates who display:
- Motivation and a broad range of interests.
- Ambition and the desire for intellectual challenge and personal development.
- An international mindset, and who can adapt to a truly multicultural classroom.
- A high level of self-motivation and self-discipline.
- An interest in participating in small-scale, interactive classes as well as lectures.
- A passion for discussion and debate.
- An interest in developing their ability to think critically and analytically.
b) Remember the deadline
If you want to start the program in September 2021, you must submit your complete application at the latest by:
- EEA: July 1
- Non-EEA: May 1
c) Follow the procedure for international applicants
For a step-by-step guide through the application process, please watch our video How to apply for a Bachelor's program as an international student (11:17).
Step 1: Prepare your application documents
During the application process, you must upload several documents. The process consists of two phases, an application phase and a matching phase. You will need to upload documents in both phases.
Please prepare the following documents in pdf format:
A. Documents to verify your educational background and motivation
- Your diploma(s) in the language in which it/they are issued, OR the Statement of Educational Institution.
- If you have not yet obtained your secondary school diploma, please upload the Statement of Educational Institution. This Statement helps us assess your eligibility for admission correctly. Please ask your School Counselor or another representative of your school to complete the form as requested, sign it, and stamp it.
- If you are selected for the program, you must send in a certified copy of your diploma once you get it, and before you start your studies at Tilburg University.
- Your grade list(s). If you have not obtained your diploma yet, please enclose your most recent grade list(s) and/or predicted grades.
- Please note that we only accept official grade lists which have been issued by your school and/or academic advisor. A screenshot of your school’s digital environment where you can review your academic progress is not accepted.
- A legalized translation of all documents: grade lists and diplomas if these are not already in Dutch, English, French, or German.
- The results of an English language test if you are not exempted.
- The test results must not be older than two years at the time of application.
- If you do not have your test results at the time of application, please provide an indication of your test date in your application.
- Your application form. Please use our template to create your application form.
- This form combines questions related to your motivation to apply for this program, with a short essay.
- This form will be used as the basis for the admission interview.
- Chinese nationals are advised to apply for a Nuffic Certificate as soon as possible to avoid any delays in the immigration procedure. For more information, please go to the Nuffic website.
B. Documents to verify your identity
- We only accept your passport to confirm your identity.
- Please upload a scan of all pages in your passport which have a stamp or sticker on them, as well as the page with your personal details and the issue and expiry date of your passport.
- Your passport must be valid until at least six months after the starting date of your study program: March 1.
- Are you already living inside the EEA? In addition to your passport, please upload a scan of the front AND back of your EEA/Dutch residence permit.
We accept either your passport or national identification card to confirm your identity:
- Passport: upload the page with your personal details and the issue and expiry date of your passport.
- National identification card: upload a scan of both the front AND back of your national identification card.
- Please make sure that all information in the documents requested is clear and do not cover any information in the scans of the documents you upload. It is important for verification purposes that information including the photo, your personal details and the computer coding at the bottom of the document are visible to us.
Sending documents via regular mail
It is not necessary to send us certified copies of your documents right away. You can apply via the online application system, and upload your documents there. Submitting certified copies of your documents is necessary for enrollment. If you are conditionally accepted to the program, you will be prompted to send us certified copies of your documents.
Step 2: Register in Studielink
Register in Studielink
You must register in Studielink, the Dutch national registration system for higher education, including the information below. Please do so correctly or we will not be able to process your application.
- Make sure that you register for the correct program. The name of this Bachelor's program in Studielink is B Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Add your personal details (including your full name) as stated in your passport.
- Enter an e-mail address that you use regularly. Tilburg University will send you important information via this e-mail address, so please check it regularly.
- For instructions on how to register via Studielink, please watch our video How to register in Studielink (03:32) and read the Studielink Manual.
Please note: you must follow the application procedure in the next step to be considered for admission. Registration in Studielink only is not sufficient. Both processes must be completed by the deadline stated above.
Step 3: Continue your application in our online application system
After you have registered in Studielink, you need to continue your application in OSIRIS Aanmeld, our online application system.
Within 48 hours of your registration in Studielink, you will receive an e-mail confirming your login details to OSIRIS Aanmeld.
- You can prepare for this e-mail by confirming firstname.lastname@example.org as a safe sender in your e-mail system. You should also check your spam/junk inbox.
- If you have not received this e-mail within 48 hours of your registration in Studielink, please contact your International Admissions Coordinator via Admissions@tilburguniversity.edu.
Log in to OSIRIS Aanmeld using your login details as stated in the confirmation e-mail. Follow the instructions to complete your application.
For instructions on how to apply via OSIRIS Aanmeld, please watch our video How to apply for a Bachelor in OSIRIS Aanmeld (07:01).
Make sure to upload the correct documents, or your application can not be processed. Details about the format and content of the required documents can be found in 'Step 1: Prepare your application documents'.
Some tips for your application:
- We recommend that you use Chrome as your web browser.
- If you want to upload a document with more than one page, scan each page of the document into one PDF.
- In order to assess your application, we only require the documents listed above.
- You do not have to complete your application in one go. You can save your application and return to it later.
You will also receive an e-mail with login details for Tilburg University's computer network
In addition to the e-mail with login details for OSIRIS Aanmeld, you will also receive an e-mail with login details for Tilburg University's computer network from our Library and IT Services department.
- This e-mail has, among other information, your student number and Tilburg University e-mail address.
- You will not need these details for your application, but please save them carefully, as you will need them after your admission to complete your enrollment.
Submit your application before the deadline as stated above
When you have completed your application, you can submit it. If you submit your application either close to or on the deadline, but have not uploaded the correct documents, Tilburg University reserves the right not to process your application.
After submitting your application
Our International Admissions Coordinator will check that your application is complete, according to the requirements above.
If your documents are not complete, you will be asked to submit any missing or replace any illegible document(s). Your International Admissions Coordinator may request additional information from you during the assessment process. Please check your e-mail regularly (including your spam folder) to avoid a delay in the processing of your application.
You can check your application status anytime you log in to your account in OSIRIS Aanmeld.
Step 4: Assessment of your documents
When your application is complete, the Admissions Committee will assess your documents to determine whether your academic background meets our admission requirements.
Within four to six weeks of the start of the process, you will receive the Admissions Committee's decision by e-mail.
The possible outcomes of your application are:
Based on your documents, you can be admitted to the Bachelor’s program. You may proceed to the interview phase in the next step.
- You will receive a conditional admission letter that will state what you need to do to turn your conditional admission into unconditional admission and by which deadline.
- One of the conditions will also be that you pass the next phase of the process: the admission interview.
- Please read your conditional admission letter carefully and contact your International Admissions Coordinator if you have any questions.
Unfortunately, you do not meet the admissions requirements for this Bachelor’s program and we are unable to admit you based on your current academic background. Your application process ends here and your registration in Studielink will be cancelled. You are welcome to re-apply for this program in the future if your academic background changes.
Step 5: Admission interview
Within two working days after receiving your conditional admission letter, you will receive an e-mail with information about the next step in the process: an interview with two of our staff members.
Please note: this is a mandatory step in your application process.
Upload the necessary documents
At this stage, you will log back into your OSIRIS Aanmeld account, and upload the necessary documents for the matching process:
- Diploma (if available) or Statement of Educational Institution
- Grade list
- Results of an English language test (if applicable)
- Application form
Most of these documents you have uploaded in OSIRIS Aanmeld before. If that is the case, you can just upload the same documents again. Details about the format and content of the required documents can be found in 'Step 1: Prepare your application documents'.
After submitting your documents
Our International Admissions Coordinator will check if you have uploaded all the necessary documents for the matching process.
If your document set is incomplete, you will be asked to submit any missing or replace any illegible document(s). Please check your e-mail regularly (including your spam folder) to avoid a delay in the processing of your application.
Once your document set is complete, you will receive an invitation to plan a date and time for your interview with two of our staff members, either in person or online.
- You can use your login details for Tilburg University's computer network to select a timeslot for your interview.
- During the interview, you will be asked about your academic ambitions, background, personal interests and motivation.
- Your application form, that includes your motivation and essay, will also serve as input for the interview.
- The interview will be held in English and will last approximately 45 minutes.
Step 6: Outcome of the admissions process
You will be informed about the decision of the Admissions Committee via e-mail.
You will receive either a positive or a negative admission decision.
- A positive decision means that we believe that this program will be a good match for you.
- A negative decision means that we do not feel that this program is a good match for you and that you will not be admitted into the program.
Step 7: Admitted, what's next?
Congratulations on being admitted to Tilburg University, either conditionally or unconditionally! We welcome you and wish you good luck with the start of your studies.
We will walk you through the next steps:
Complete your enrollment and pay your tuition fees
Please check your enrollment status and any to-do items that may still be pending in OSIRIS Student. You can use your login details for Tilburg University’s computer network to access OSIRIS Student.
Arrange practical matters
Before you can start your studies in Tilburg, there are a number of important practical matters to take care of, such as your visa (non-EEA nationals only), housing, and insurances.
Participate in orientation activities
All Tilburg University students are encouraged to arrive in Tilburg during our Registration Days, which will take place in mid-August. During the week prior to the start of the academic year, there is a mandatory study program introduction. You may also want to take part in the Tilburg Orientation Program (TOP Week) – a great way to get to know your fellow students and the city of Tilburg.
Tilburg University complies with all the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) regarding all personal information included in the application process, including photocopies of passports/residence permits, etc. For more information, please refer to our Privacy Statement.
Please feel free to contact us with any personal queries about the program, admissions and enrollment. You can contact us before, during or after you have submitted your application. Our team will be glad to answer all your questions about studying at Tilburg University and provide you with detailed practical information.