During the Bachelor's program in Psychology, you study mind and behavior. This program is about people. You find the answers to questions such as who we are, how we think and feel, and why we make certain decisions. This program's curriculum is flexible, which gives you the freedom to specialize by choosing one out of nine majors, combined with a minor.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
This academic year, education will take place partly online and partly on campus depending on the corona measures in place. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. For the latest updates on the corona situation see our FAQs for prospective students and current students.
to choose from
National Student Survey, 2021 | n = 847
Short overview of BSc Psychology
Program and courses
Throughout the program, you will get a solid foundation in the various fields of Psychology, preparing you for a diverse range of professions. Examples of these professions include Health and Social Services, Mental Health, Organizational Leadership and Management, Community and Public Relations, Education, Program Development and Facilitation, and Social Science Research. Design your own study program by choosing one of the nine majors in your second year, and a subsequent minor in your third year.
- In the first year of the program, you will get a solid foundation in all the focus areas of Psychology. This will prepare you to choose one of the majors and minors in your second and third year.
- In your second year, you will choose one of the nine unique majors. This major will be the core of your program. In addition to a number of statistics courses, you will take four specialization courses, learn professional skills related to your major and conduct supervised research in small groups.
- In the third and final year, you will finish your major with a professional practice course, and choose a minor and two electives. You'll conclude your program with a Bachelor's thesis related to your major.
Watch the video on the structure of the Bachelor's program in Psychology. (video - 2:46 min)
You can specialize in one of the following majors:
Choosing a major
To support you in choosing the right major, the program organizes information fairs where you can learn everything about the majors and how they relate to the Master's programs. Chose the wrong major? Not to worry; if you change your mind, you can still switch majors without study delay after your second year.
Typical courses include the following:
- Brain and Behavior
Learn how the brain functions and how human experience and behavior are related to it. This course answers questions such as, how does the brain develop, how do nerves work, and how do people sleep and dream?
- Personality Psychology
Learn how and why people differ from each other. The course examines the characteristics that are typical for individuals. Answer questions such as, what types of personality are there, what is our self-image, or why do people react differently to stress and illness?
- Developmental Psychology
Learn about development from conception to old age. Answer questions such as, how does emotion develop in children, and what are the cognitive consequences of old age?
Why this program in Tilburg?
Study Psychology in Tilburg
- Design your future career and your own study program by combining a major and a minor that fit your academic interest and career aspirations. This unique combination will make you stand out in the job market.
- Tilburg University is one of the few academic centers of expertise in the areas of Economic, Forensic and Medical Psychology in the Netherlands.
- Gain international experience by spending a semester at a partner university abroad.
- Benefit from an interactive learning environment in a small-scale international classroom.
- Program for Academic Study Success (PASS)
Personal guidance and coaching from an academic mentor throughout the entire program (years 1, 2 and 3) to help you achieve your full potential.
Watch a short video about our Program for Academic Study Success (2:21 min).
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor: Extracurricular activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular activities
- Join the study association Complex. They organize multiple formal and informal activities for their members. For example, together with SPS-NIP (Section Psychology Students of the Netherlands Institute of Psychologists) they organize annual events such as Experience Your Future. The purpose of this event is to introduce psychology students to, among other things, specializations within psychology, registration after obtaining a master's degree, and the field of psychology.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence.
After your Bachelor's
Pursue a Master's degree
Most of our students continue their studies with a Master's degree after completing their Bachelor's degree. For example, one of the following Master's programs in Tilburg:
After graduating from this program, you will have the knowledge and understanding needed to set up, implement, analyze and report psychological research. Graduates work in health care, institutions for children with developmental disabilities, educational consultancies, or as medical psychologists in hospitals. You can also work as a consultant at organization consultancies, or as market researcher, personnel manager, policy officer or communications expert within government or business. In short, psychologists work wherever the focus lies with people or human behavior.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- A good knowledge of mathematics is important for being successful in this Bachelor’s program. In order to be admitted, you must therefore prove that you have sufficient knowledge of mathematics.
- A selection procedure applies for the Bachelor's program in Psychology (Numerus Fixus).
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 715 and € 1,215 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||€ 350 - 750 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 - 300 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
"You learn so many new and interesting things about yourself and others, which makes you see the world through a different lens. I like that it is so relevant to your own life."
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinar for Bachelor's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Bachelor’s programs. Sign up for the live webinar on February 18 or April 19.
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Bachelor's programs
Do you have questions about the application procedure for international students? This one-hour interactive session will give you useful information on what you can expect from the application process. It is also your chance to ask any questions you might have.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Psychology a match? If you...
are interested in how people function
have a critical and analytical attitude
can work independently
Then this is the program for you!