Theology is a broad study in which you learn about the interactions between humanity, society, faith, and reason. You will study important religious texts in their original languages such as Hebrew, Greek and Latin. You can also follow this program part-time. Study the Bachelor of Theology in Dutch in Utrecht or in English in Tilburg.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
This academic year, education will take place partly online and partly on campus depending on the corona measures in place. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. For the latest updates on the corona situation see our FAQs for prospective students and current students.
in the Netherlands
with 6 students (Studielink)
Short overview of BA Theology
Program and curriculum
The program covers various fields from biblical sciences to spirituality, and you become competent in reflecting from various disciplines such as history, philosophy, literature and social sciences. This variety of perspectives helps you to approach a topic from different angles, to reason logically and to write creatively. You learn to understand existential issues and questions about the meaning of life, the forming of identity, traditions and values both in the past and present.
- In the first year of Theology, you will get an overview of the major fields of study within theology, their similarities and differences. You will also receive an introduction into the languages of Greek and Hebrew.
- In the second year, you will delve deeper into the various theological disciplines. You continue learning Greek and Hebrew, but now Latin is added. You can choose a number of free electives that meet your personal academic interest.
- The third year also focuses on deepening your theological knowledge. You finish your bachelor with choosing a subject that has appealed to you the most and writing a bachelor thesis about it. This will test your writing and research skills that you have acquired in the past 2.5 years. In addition, you can enrich your studies by taking courses abroad. The School of Catholic Theology has various destinations that you can sign up to and most have grants.
Typical courses are:
- Comparative Religion
Learn the foundations of three great world religions: Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism and learn to discuss a topic in religious sciences.
- Biblical Hebrew, Greek and Latin
Learn to read the Bible and other texts in their original languages: Hebrew, Greek and Latin.
- Systematic Philosophy
Identify, understand, and systematically reflect on fundamental philosophical questions, e.g. free will, by analysing texts. The course pays special attention to the relationship between philosophical problems and Christian religion and theology.
Theology in part-time
Interested in Theology but not in full-time? You can also study Theology on a part-time basis, enabling you to combine your studies more easily with a job or your personal life. Theology as a part-time study program entails:
- a 5-year program
- If you already have a bachelor's degree, you are eligible for the part-time bachelor's degree in Theology (147 ECTS), which you can complete in four years, regardless of your previous studies
- an average of 20-24 hours of study a week, including lectures
- courses are combined with full-time students
- in English in Tilburg and in Dutch in Utrecht
Want to learn more about your options for studying Theology part-time? Then make an appointment with the student advisor via firstname.lastname@example.org
Why this program in Tilburg?
Study Theology in Tilburg
- Theology deals with very fundamental questions: how does faith give meaning to people’s lives? How are universal values such as tolerance and justice determined? That is why theology offers you a great opportunity for developing and enriching your character and personality. You will learn to cope with dilemma’s, and you are challenged to determine for yourself what really matters in life.
- The bachelor's program of Theology receives high overall ratings from its students
- Become part of a small, friendly and strong community. You share your classroom with people from different countries, denominations, age and life-experience.
- The school has a personal atmosphere where students and professors help each other and where there’s always room for (extra) counseling and conversation.
- The only Catholic theology bachelor in the Netherlands. The Tilburg School of Catholic Theology has been granted permission by the Holy See to deliver canonical degrees, which is important if you have the ambition to work in the Catholic church.
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor: Extracurricular Activities
- Join one of our student organizations. A great way to meet like-minded students and make friends.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence.
After your Bachelor's
Pursue a Master's degree
When you have finished your Bachelor, you are an expert in existential questions and in cultural and religious diversity. With this Bachelor’s degree you can apply for admission to a Master's program at Tilburg University. The BA Theology gives you direct admission to the following Master’s programs:
- The 1-year Master's program Christianity and Society
- The 2-years Master’s program Religious Education (Dutch taught)
- The 3-years Master’s program in Theology (Dutch taught)
With a degree in theology there’s plenty of impactful jobs to choose from. Theology graduates are employed in a variety of professions:
- Policy and consultancy for government, church organizations, cultural institutions, NGOs and businesses
- Advice and support in spiritual care, coaching and ritual counselling
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 715 and € 1,215 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||€ 350 - 750 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 - 300 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
Christiana MoBachelor's student
"Studying at the Tilburg School of Catholic Theology is a great opportunity to meet and pose intellectually and spiritually challenging questions and answers; in search for Truth and love of Wisdom."
Tope OgunkuadeBachelor's student
"I'm studying Theology in Tilburg because the program here is the full package. Language courses like biblical Greek, Hebrew and Latin aren’t offered in other schools plus here, it’s Catholic theology; coming from a Protestant (Pentecostal) background, I’m learning theology in a new light - a different perspective."
Archibald van WieringenProfessor
"Studying theology is getting a multi-perspective access to Scripture and Tradition, valuable for today’s faith."
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinar for Bachelor's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Bachelor’s programs. Sign up for the live webinar on February 18 or April 19.
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Bachelor's programs
Do you have questions about the application procedure for international students? This one-hour interactive session will give you useful information on what you can expect from the application process. It is also your chance to ask any questions you might have.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Theology a match? If you...
have an inquisitive and analytical mind and broad interest
are willing to reflect on great questions that matter most to people and to society
have an affinity with religion, history, philosophy, literature and social sciences
are looking for a job with excellent career perspectives
Then this is the program for you!