In the Bachelor Theology, you will learn to think critically about people and society, faith and reason. You learn to assist people in the areas of meaning, philosophy of life, ethics and spirituality. Religious views also play a role in social challenges. What responsibility do people have toward society and the world? How do you work on issues of justice and tolerance in a complex society?
in the Netherlands
with 15 students (Studielink)
Short overview of Theology
- The only Catholic theology bachelor in the Netherlands. The Tilburg School of Catholic Theology has been granted permission by the Holy See to deliver canonical degrees, which is important if you have the ambition to work in the Catholic church.
- The bachelor's program of Theology receives high overall ratings from its students.
- Become part of a close, friendly and strong community. You share your classroom with people from different countries, denominations, age and life-experience.
Program and courses
You can also study Theology part-time at Tilburg University. You can study the bachelor Theology in Dutch in Utrecht or in English in Tilburg.
The program covers various fields from biblical sciences to spirituality, and you become competent in reflecting from various disciplines such as history, philosophy, literature and social sciences. This variety of perspectives helps you to approach a topic from different angles, to reason logically and to write creatively. You learn to understand existential issues and questions about the meaning of life, the forming of identity, traditions and values both in the past and present.
- In the first year of Theology, you will get an overview of the major fields of study within theology, their similarities and differences. You will also receive an introduction into the languages of Greek and Hebrew.
- In the second year, you will delve deeper into the various theological disciplines. In addition, you will be introduced to Latin as a third language. You will also continue to work on your academic skills in the second year.
- The third year is devoted to broadening the courses you take. In the first semester you have a mobility window which you can fill in according to your personal interests. You can choose from the elective courses of the theology program, but also from courses from other programs or even courses abroad. Our School of Catholic Theology has good contacts with institutions abroad. In addition, you will conclude the bachelor's degree with a bachelor's thesis, on a topic that appeals to you personally. To write the bachelor's thesis, you will use the writing, thinking and research skills you have acquired during the course of the program.
Typical courses are:
- Comparative Religion
Learn the foundations of three great world religions: Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism and learn to discuss a topic in religious sciences.
- Biblical Hebrew, Greek and Latin
Learn to read the Bible and other texts in their original languages: Hebrew, Greek and Latin.
- Systematic Philosophy
Identify, understand, and systematically reflect on fundamental philosophical questions, e.g. free will, by analysing texts. The course pays special attention to the relationship between philosophical problems and Christian religion and theology.
Theology in part-time
Interested in Theology but not in full-time? You can also study Theology on a part-time basis, enabling you to combine your studies more easily with a job or your personal life. Theology as a part-time study program entails:
- a 5-year program
- If you already have a bachelor's degree, you are eligible for the part-time bachelor's degree in Theology (150 ECTS), which you can complete in four years, regardless of your previous studies
- an average of 20-24 hours of study a week, including lectures
- courses are taken together with full-time students
- in English in Tilburg and in Dutch in Utrecht
Want to learn more about your options for studying Theology part-time? Then make an appointment with the student advisor via email@example.com
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor: Extracurricular Activities
- Join one of our student organizations. A great way to meet like-minded students and make friends.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
As a theologian, you can respond to changes in society - think of developments in medical care, the rise of artificial intelligence or the major ecological challenges. You are alert to what drives people and you can assist them in the areas of meaning, philosophy of life, ethics and spirituality.
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Theology, you can continue your studies with a Master's program. Then you will have excellent career perspectives for example as a spiritual counsellor in health care, in the military or as a first-degree teacher of Religion and Philosophy, policy advisor orresearcher for the government or an NGO.
Graduates work at, for example, the Ministry of Justice and Security, Cordaid and Stanislas college.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||Starting from € 550 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
The Bachelor's program in less than 4 minutes
"In theology, you are not just dealing with old texts. You also look at modern problems and can even research games on traces of theology."
"I'm studying Theology in Tilburg because the program here is the full package. Language courses like biblical Greek, Hebrew and Latin aren’t offered in other schools plus here, it’s Catholic theology; coming from a Protestant (Pentecostal) background, I’m learning theology in a new light - a different perspective."
"I think it is important that students learn to break free from their own limiting beliefs and frame of reference and try to put themselves in the position of someone with a different background, from a different time or place."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 12:00
Study Information Day Theology study programs
Come and find out what it is like to study Theology in Utrecht,
meet a teacher and student, follow a trial lecture and ask all your questions!
Please note: this event is in Dutch.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university.
Related Bachelor's programs
Are you and Theology a match? If you...
have an inquisitive and analytical mind and broad interest
are willing to reflect on great questions that matter most to people and to society
have an affinity with religion, history, philosophy, literature and social sciences
are looking for a job with excellent career perspectives
Then this is the program for you!