Theology is a broad study in which you learn about the interactions between humanity, society, faith, and reason. You will study important religious texts in their original languages such as Hebrew, Greek and Latin. You can also follow this program part-time. Study the Bachelor of Theology in Dutch in Utrecht or in English in Tilburg.
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
in the Netherlands
with 15 students (Studielink)
Short overview of BA Theology
Program and courses
The program covers various fields from biblical sciences to spirituality, and you become competent in reflecting from various disciplines such as history, philosophy, literature and social sciences. This variety of perspectives helps you to approach a topic from different angles, to reason logically and to write creatively. You learn to understand existential issues and questions about the meaning of life, the forming of identity, traditions and values both in the past and present.
- In the first year of Theology, you will get an overview of the major fields of study within theology, their similarities and differences. You will also receive an introduction into the languages of Greek and Hebrew.
- In the second year, you will delve deeper into the various theological disciplines. You continue learning Greek and Hebrew, but now Latin is added. You can choose a number of free electives that meet your personal academic interest.
- The third year also focuses on deepening your theological knowledge. You finish your bachelor with choosing a subject that has appealed to you the most and writing a bachelor thesis about it. This will test your writing and research skills that you have acquired in the past 2.5 years. In addition, you can enrich your studies by taking courses abroad. The School of Catholic Theology has various destinations that you can sign up to and most have grants.
Typical courses are:
- Comparative Religion
Learn the foundations of three great world religions: Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism and learn to discuss a topic in religious sciences.
- Biblical Hebrew, Greek and Latin
Learn to read the Bible and other texts in their original languages: Hebrew, Greek and Latin.
- Systematic Philosophy
Identify, understand, and systematically reflect on fundamental philosophical questions, e.g. free will, by analysing texts. The course pays special attention to the relationship between philosophical problems and Christian religion and theology.
Theology in part-time
Interested in Theology but not in full-time? You can also study Theology on a part-time basis, enabling you to combine your studies more easily with a job or your personal life. Theology as a part-time study program entails:
- a 5-year program
- If you already have a bachelor's degree, you are eligible for the part-time bachelor's degree in Theology (147 ECTS), which you can complete in four years, regardless of your previous studies
- an average of 20-24 hours of study a week, including lectures
- courses are combined with full-time students
- in English in Tilburg and in Dutch in Utrecht
Want to learn more about your options for studying Theology part-time? Then make an appointment with the student advisor via email@example.com
Why this Bachelor's program in Tilburg?
Study Theology in Tilburg
- Theology deals with very fundamental questions: how does faith give meaning to people’s lives? How are universal values such as tolerance and justice determined? That is why theology offers you a great opportunity for developing and enriching your character and personality. You will learn to cope with dilemma’s, and you are challenged to determine for yourself what really matters in life.
- The bachelor's program of Theology receives high overall ratings from its students
- Become part of a small, friendly and strong community. You share your classroom with people from different countries, denominations, age and life-experience.
- The school has a personal atmosphere where students and professors help each other and where there’s always room for (extra) counseling and conversation.
- The only Catholic theology bachelor in the Netherlands. The Tilburg School of Catholic Theology has been granted permission by the Holy See to deliver canonical degrees, which is important if you have the ambition to work in the Catholic church.
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor: Extracurricular Activities
- Join one of our student organizations. A great way to meet like-minded students and make friends.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Theology, you can continue your studies with a Master's program. Then you will have excellent career perspectives for example as a spiritual counsellor in health care, in the military or as a first degree teacher Religion and Philosophy, policy advisor or researcher for the government or an NGO.
Graduates for example work at the Ministry of Justice and Security, Cordaid and Stanislas college.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
More information on the tuition fees and rates
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||Starting from € 550 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
Other Bachelor's programs you might like
Related Bachelor's programs
- Philosophy (Dutch program)
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
Do you want more information on this Bachelor's program?
"In theology, you are not just dealing with old texts. You also look at modern problems and can even research games on traces of theology."
Tope OgunkuadeBachelor's student
"I'm studying Theology in Tilburg because the program here is the full package. Language courses like biblical Greek, Hebrew and Latin aren’t offered in other schools plus here, it’s Catholic theology; coming from a Protestant (Pentecostal) background, I’m learning theology in a new light - a different perspective."
"I think it is important that students learn to break free from their own limiting beliefs and frame of reference and try to put themselves in the position of someone with a different background, from a different time or place."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Create your personalized brochure
Would you like to know more about this Theology program?
Download a personalized brochure or contact Katrien, our education representative. She will answer your questions and can connect you with current students, advisors, and teachers.
Download a personalized brochure
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Theology a match? If you...
have an inquisitive and analytical mind and broad interest
are willing to reflect on great questions that matter most to people and to society
have an affinity with religion, history, philosophy, literature and social sciences
are looking for a job with excellent career perspectives
Then this is the program for you!