NT2: Beginners (intensive course)
This course allows you to rapidly acquire a solid basis of everyday Dutch based on texts from the Delft method that you will go through step-by-step. Grammar is also explained based on these texts. This allows you to develop a feel for the language instead of only knowledge of the grammar rules.
The texts you read are discussed in class, usually by means of exercises, and sometimes based on a student’s presentation. You will also write and correct texts yourself with the help of correction symbols, and you will create your own vocabulary portfolio or diary in which you record words that are relevant for your daily life. By the end of the course, you will have acquired a vocabulary of approx. 2300 Dutch words.
You need to participate in a mandatory intake consultation with a lecturer from the Language Center. During the intake consultation, an assessment is made of whether you have sufficient skills to participate in the intensive course. This includes previous education, your level of English, your time available for the course, and your computer skills.
Do you have to learn Dutch because you are obliged obligation to participate in a civic integration program? Then you are eligible for a DUO loan to finance the intensive course.
At the end of the course you will be able to
talk about what you do in your free time
report a birth at the municipality
report moving house
hold a discussion about learning a language
- move on to the Intermediate Course
In addition, you will also have basic knowledge of Dutch history and politics.
The course contains oral and written tests.
Special circumstances COVID-19
- This course is taught partly online and partly on campus (compulsory). The exam will be administered on campus. Before signing up, please check whether you will be able to come to campus at the scheduled time. Since active participation is a key part of language skills courses, you need to able to interact with the group in a digital environment as well. Make sure you have a stable internet connection, working webcam and headset or microphone. For recommended hardware requirements, see this TiU website.
- If circumstances surrounding COVID-19 change and we are no longer able to physically visit the campus, this course will move online completely.
- 80% attendance is required. Lectures are not recorded for later viewing.
NT2: Beginners in short
|Duration and Course Format||
Three two-hour classes for 10 weeks, with a minimum of 20 hours of self-study per week, 12 ECTS credits
Extra one-hour class on Fridays.
Monday 9:30 - 11:30 hrs: on campus
Wednesday 9:30 - 11:30 hrs: online
Friday 9:30 - 11:30 hrs and 11:45 - 12:45 hrs: on campus
|Course Fee (Course materials included)||
|Level||From 0 to A2 (Common European Reference Framework )|
|Read more||Course information and Timetable|
This course is intended for everyone who is highly educated.
- You have a sufficiently high level of education or have had a minimum of 12 years of education.
- You need to have a reasonable level of English.