NT2: Upper-Intermediate Dutch (intensive course)
During this course, you work from B1 to B2 level. Using the book Nederlands op Niveau, you will work with texts, listening fragments, and do vocabulary and grammar exercises. You are going to give presentation about various subjects in the form of “Talenquests.” You will also write texts or record them on the computer based on an outline.
Dutch culture is an intricate part of the book. Subjects that are dealt with include Dutch customs and habits such as bike etiquette, sustainability, and knowledge of Dutch history and politics. Special attention is paid to famous Dutch figures, both historical and contemporary, such as William of Orange and Calvijn.
This course is a good preparation for the NT2 State Exam, program II. During the course, your mentor will discuss with you what would be a good time for you to take the State Exam. If you wish to take this exam, you can register at DUO.
It is also possible, at the end of the course, to further develop your knowledge of Dutch in the advanced course.
Would you like to register for the intermediate, upper-intermediate, or advanced course? If so, you are required to do an intake test. This test consists of fill-in-the-gap texts and sentences that need to be completed. The test takes a maximum of an hour and a half. The test provides an indication of your level of the Dutch language. You will have a meeting with a lecturer immediately after the intake test. The lecturer determines whether the Language Center is suitable for you and at which level you can begin.
Did you pass the NT2 State Exam, program I or II or the TANG test at A2 or B1 level in the twelve months prior to your registration for the intensive program? Then you do not need to do an intake test. You can make an appointment for an intake interview directly. Please, bring proof of your previously attained level.
Do you have to learn Dutch because you are obliged to participate in a civic integration program? Then you are eligible to apply for a DUO loan to finance the intensive course.
At the end of the course you will be able to
- write a cover letter
- hold discussions
- take the NT2 State Exam, program II
- attend the advanced course (B2+) to further develop your knowledge of the Dutch language
- attend modules to improve your Writing and Speaking skills
The course contains oral and written tests. You have now reached level B2 of the European framework of reference, a language level that corresponds to a program in higher education or a position at an academic or higher professional level.
Special circumstances COVID-19
- This course is taught partly online and partly on campus (compulsory). The exam will be administered on campus. Before signing up, please check whether you will be able to come to campus at the scheduled time. Since active participation is a key part of language skills courses, you need to able to interact with the group in a digital environment as well. Make sure you have a stable internet connection, working webcam and headset or microphone. For recommended hardware requirements, see this TiU website.
- If circumstances surrounding COVID-19 change and we are no longer able to physically visit the campus, this course will move online completely.
- 80% attendance is required. Lectures are not recorded for later viewing.
NT2: Upper-Intermediate in short
|Duration and Course Format||
Two three-hour lessons for 10 weeks, with a minimum of 20 hours of self-study per week, 12 ECTS credits
Monday 13:45 - 16:30 hrs: on campus
Thursday 13:45 - 16:30 hrs: online
|Course Fee (Course Materials included)||
|Level||From B1 to B2 (Common European Framework of Reference)|
|Read More||Course information and Timetable|
This course is intended for everyone who is highly educated.
- You have a sufficiently high level of education or have had a minimum of 12 years of education.
- You need to have a reasonable level of English.