English for Business Communication
The aim of English for Business Communication is for you to become more confident and competent when communicating in a business, corporate or organizational context, specifically in giving presentations, conducting meetings, pitching new ideas and delivering a project proposal.
This course looks at the communicative aspects of business and focuses on the language and communication skills required in a (general) business context. In this course, you are provided with an opportunity to apply these skills to cases of your own choice drawn from real-world circumstances. The course deals with specific topics such as pitching an idea for a new product or service, presenting a project proposal in the form of a formal team presentation, and dealing with the specific challenges of business English in an international context, through exercises based in part on the needs and requirements of the cases they are working on. The focus is on (practical) communication which is clear and effective.
At the end of the course you can:
- demonstrate a working knowledge of topics including mission statements and personal branding, communication dynamics in meetings, advertising language etc.
- express yourself within the field of business communication using English at the C1 level in both speech and writing.
- present appropriately and persuasively in a range of business and organizational situations, including pitching, and making project proposals.
- conduct a business meeting efficiently and professionally.
- work as a team to research and propose a solution to a business / organizational communication problem.
Special circumstances COVID-19
This course is taught on campus.
If circumstances surrounding COVID-19 change and we are no longer able to physically visit the campus, this course will move partly or entirely online.
Since active participation is a key part of language skills courses, both in the hybrid and online courses, you need to able to interact with the group in a digital environment. Make sure you have a stable internet connection, working webcam and headset or microphone. For recommended hardware requirements, see this TiU webpage.
80% attendance is required. Lectures are not recorded for later viewing.
English for Business Communication in short
This course is intended for everyone who is highly educated. This means that you have a diploma at HAVO or VWO level and are therefore eligible for Higher Education in the Netherlands.
In our conditions, you can find more information about the registration period etc.