Dutch Intensive Summer Course
Are you entering a Dutch university for your BA or MA program or an exchange? Or are you an expat who has little or no knowledge of the Dutch language? Tilburg University’s Language Center offers an innovative Dutch Intensive Summer Course. This 3-week intensive course will get you from ‘no Dutch at all’ to ‘daily Dutch proficiency’ (A1 level) in no time!
The Dutch Intensive Summer Course combines Dutch language acquisition with a fun introduction to Dutch culture. The course is designed to bring you to level A1 within the internationally approved European Reference Framework; you start at the level of absolute beginner.
In this course, you will learn the basics of Dutch language.
You will develop speaking, writing, listening and reading skills with respect to topics relevant to international students or expats living in the Netherlands. These topics include:
- introducing yourself
- shopping for groceries
- ordering food and drinks
- buying clothes
During the course we will use an innovative teaching method that is especially designed to get international students and expats up to speed in Dutch.
This method divides the learning process into the following three steps:
- Preparing a topic through online exercises
- Practicing skills and vocabulary in class
- Consolidating what you have learned through homework assignments
Wherever needed, grammar will be dealt with within the context of the topics discussed. The emphasis, however, will always be on the communicative aspects of learning Dutch – which is why you get the opportunity to put your new knowledge of Dutch into practice and increase your fluency by going on a field trip every Wednesday.
Non-Dutch speaking students who plan to attend a program at Tilburg University or another university in the Netherlands; external participants with little or no knowledge of Dutch.
- To be allowed to participate in the final exam, 80% of the written assignments must be completed and submitted to the lecturer; participation in the excursions is obligatory.
- ECTS: 6
- Course coordinator: Dr. M.A. van de Visser
- One morning class and one afternoon class on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Excursions on Wednesday mornings introduce you to Dutch culture.
Intensive study: you work on homework assignments between lessons.
The final exam will take place on Friday July 22.
- This course is taught on campus. Lectures are not recorded for later viewing.
- No scholarships are available.
- International students wishing to participate in this course need to be able to stay in the Netherlands visa-free or already have a visa for studying in the Netherlands. The Language Center cannot mediate in obtaining a (student) visa.
Course materials are not included in the course fee. The book, together with access to the book’s website, can be purchased at a bookstore or online. You need to bring your book to the first day of class.
- Start.nl deel 1 (2017, 2e druk)|144 pp. | € 24.95 | ISBN 9789046905661
In addition to the standard course materials, you also have access to a wide variety of online tools through the Dutch Toolbox, an innovation developed by the Tilburg University Language Center. This includes reading modules, vocabulary, grammar, listening practice, etc.
You can register via the digital form which you can find at the end of this webpage.
Registration and deregistration is possible until May 31, 2022.
Tilburg University Language Center reserves the right to cancel courses in the event of an insufficient number of participants. In the event that the number of registrations exceeds the number of available places, a waiting list will be used.
Dutch Intensive Summer Course in short
July 4 - 22, 2022
One morning class (10:30-12:00) and one afternoon class (14:00-15:30) on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
Excursions on Wednesday mornings
July 4, 2022
|Target level||A1 according to the Common European Framework (CEFR)|
This course is intended for
- Non-Dutch speaking students who plan to attend a program at Tilburg University or another university in the Netherlands; external participants with little or no knowledge of Dutch.
- everyone who is highly educated. This means that you have a diploma at HAVO or VWO level and are therefore eligible for Higher Education in the Netherlands.
In our conditions, you can find more information about the registration period etc.