Art and Media Studies
The Art and Media Studies track addresses art, literature, and entertainment culture in the modern digitalized and mediatized public sphere. The program combines cultural studies and media studies, as such enabling you to analyze and understand artistic and cultural performances in online and offline contexts, and to communicate about them professionally. This is a track of MA Culture Studies.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
(of all students who started in September, 2021)
National Student Survey, 2021 | n=55 (Culture Studies, all tracks)
Alumni report, 2021 | n=502 (Culture Studies, all tracks)
Program and courses
New forms of using and creating art have emerged since the arrival of internet and social media: think of interactive pop-up museum exhibitions stimulating the making of selfies; fan fiction; new types of genre-mediation in literary texts (mixing fact and fiction), or new art projects in urban settings (city safari).
This program gives in-depth knowledge on how such innovations develop and what their implications are for the societies we live in.
- Gain knowledge on artistic practices and their contributions to the democratic, digital and mediatized public sphere.
- Develop communicative skills such as writing, analyzing and interpreting texts and images, critical reflection on societal issues, and participating in public debates.
- Turn academic content into publications that are accessible to a wider public through Diggit Magazine, both a learning instrument and an online news platform focusing on arts, digital culture, and globalization.
Typical courses are:
- New private and public spheres
- Beauty and the sublime online
- Intimacy, privacy and authenticity
- Authorship and persona
- Media interventions: Participation, practices and debates
We will educate you to become a communication and culture professional, capable of analyzing, understanding and evaluating various digital infrastructures and their consequences for everyday life, ready to perform a nexus role in ongoing digital and societal developments.
You will find jobs in the field of (digital) journalism, culture, communication, education and research.
- Average time between graduation and first paid job is 3.6 months
- 83% of our alumni find a job within 6 months after graduation, and 59% within 2 months
- 80% of the alumni would choose the same program at our university again
Source: Alumni of Culture Studies (all tracks), National Alumni Survey, 2016-2018 | n = 46
Application and admission
Best preparatory programs:
Tilburg University's BA Online Culture: Art, Media and Society
One of these Bachelor's degrees:
- The academic background of the students in our Master's program varies a lot. Students with a Bachelor's degree in a different subject area are also most welcome to apply.
Open to both Research University students and students of a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
This program starts:
At the end of August
Interested in the Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
09:30 - 17:15
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and Pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
10:00 - 17:00
Application and admission webinar for Master's programs
If you're interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join our webinar on December 10th!
Interested in the Art and Media Studies track?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.