Art and Media Studies
In the Art and Media Studies track, you study how artistic and cultural expressions develop under the influence of digitalization, mediatization, and privatization of public space. You combine theories from various disciplines, such as media studies, cultural studies, literary studies, sociology and philosophy. You learn to analyze how innovations come about and what their implications are for society, and to communicate about this professionally. This is a track of MA Culture Studies.
Education as of September 2022
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
(of all students who started in September, 2021)
National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n=11 (Culture Studies, all tracks)
Alumni report, 2021 | n=502 (Culture Studies, all tracks)
Program and courses
Central topics in the program are the convergence of public and private spheres, intermediality and transmediality, participatory art and gaming practices, the Anthropocene and new responsibilities for the earth, and urgent media topics such as migration and sustainability.
- Reflect on questions such as:
- How is democracy functioning in an information overloaded digital public sphere?
- What is the role of artists in current public spheres?
- How can games be considered art?
- What type of social critique can we find in visual art objects (such as video art)?
- What are new aesthetics on online platforms?
- Develop communicative skills such as writing, analyzing and interpreting texts and images, critical reflection on societal issues, and participating in public debates.
- Turn academic content into publications that are accessible to a wider public through Diggit Magazine, both a learning instrument and an online news platform focusing on arts, digital culture, and globalization.
Art and Media Studies is a track of the MA Culture Studies.
Typical courses are:
We will educate you to become a communication and culture professional, ready to perform a nexus role in ongoing digital, cultural, artistic and societal developments.
Graduates acquire positions in the cultural sector, but also in (digital) journalism, communication and marketing, education and research.
Some of our graduates' jobs:
- Project coordinator at a platform for visual arts and design
- Marketing and communications assistant at Libraries Unlimited South West
- Content creator at White Citadel
- Researcher at a Dutch university of applied sciences
- 81% of our alumni find a job within 6 months
- Average time between graduation and first paid job is 3.4 months
Source: Alumni of Culture Studies (all tracks), National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n = 11
Application and admission
Best preparatory programs:
Tilburg University's BA Online Culture: Art, Media and Society
A Bachelor's degree in the field of:
- The academic background of the students in our Master's program varies a lot. Students with a Bachelor's degree in a different subject area are also most welcome to apply.
Open to both Research University students and students of a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
This program starts:
At the end of August
Interested in the Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:15 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 19. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions. Sign up for the Open day now!
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Master’s programs
If you are interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join this webinar!
Interested in the Art and Media Studies track?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.