Economics: Behavioral Economics
Address economic problems and questions involving people’s behavior and behavioral change. Become an economist trained to take both the economics and the psychology of behavior into account, as well as the ways it can be affected by policies and strategies. This is a track of MSc Economics.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
This academic year, education will take place partly online and partly on campus depending on the corona measures in place. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. For the latest updates on the corona situation see our FAQs for prospective students and current students.
US News Best Global Universities, 2021
Program and courses
Address economic questions revolving around behavior and behavioral change.
- Starting point: individuals are not rational, self-interested maximizers, but behave and make decisions based on a limited capacity to process information and preferences that include a regard for social norms, such as fairness and reciprocity.
- Address important behavioral questions, such as:
- How to encourage households to waste less food?
- How to prevent fraud in organizations?
- How to stimulate employees to cooperate efficiently?
- How to foster trust in online markets?
- Combine insights from economists, psychologists and marketers cooperating in the Tilburg Institute for Behavioral Economics Research (TIBER).
- This is a track of MSc Economics. You can choose to follow the main program or one of the tracks.
Typical courses are:
- Economics and Psychology of Social Norms and Strategic Behavior
- Economics and Psychology of Risk and Time
- Experiments and Surveys
Upon graduating you will have obtained the following title (as stated on your diploma): Master of Science.
With a specialization in behavioral economics you will have a degree tailored for a career in consultancy, policy advice, and project management. Insights from behavioral economics are in high demand at financial institutions, insurance companies, multinational enterprises, as well as in regional and national government.
- 84% are (very) satisfied with the Master program
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: € 2,734,-
- Average number of months between graduation and first job: 3,7
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=12
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s degree in Economics or a similar program (e.g., a degree in Econometrics).
Open to Research University students, not to students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master’s program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs. Join the live webinar on February 11 or May 13.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Master’s programs
If you're interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join our webinar!
Interested in the MSc Economics?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application