Christianity and Society
Reflect critically on Christianity in the public space and the tensions that arise in the dialogue with modern society and world religions. The program links theological and religious sources of the past with current social, economic and political issues. Special attention is given to Catholic Social Thought, which deals with issues such as the relation between religion and state, and the contribution of capitalism to justice and happiness.
National Student Survey, 2018 | n=2
in your classroom
Program and courses
This program provides a broad perspective taught by theologians, sociologists, economists, law specialists, and philosophers. Special attention is given to Catholic Social Thought, which deals with issues such as the relation between religion and state, and the contribution of capitalism to justice and happiness.
- Small classes (on average 5-10 students), so a lot of individual attention and personal contact among fellow students and teachers.
- International classroom with students from various countries, religions, and academic backgrounds, ensuring a lively and balanced dialogue.
- The opportunity to follow the Extended Master’s Program (adds half a year to the regular program) in which you do an internship at an institution or organization in the field.
- Lower tuition fees than other Master’s programs at Tilburg University.
Partial scholarships are available to encourage students from all economic backgrounds to participate in this graduate program.
Typical courses are:
- Christian Theology: Fundamental Issues and Contemporary Questions
- Christianity in Dialogue with the Economic World
- Christianity in Dialogue with the World Religions
Simon BeentjesMaster's student
"It is definitely possible to develop your own particular interest. The challenge is to keep a balance between your own interest, and the broad wisdom this program encloses."
Eefje de GelderPhD | Project coordinator
"I learnt to think critically about many societal issues - from other perspectives than I had during my studies in Economics. This really helped me to broaden my (research) horizon."
Dagmar H. GrønlykkeMaster's student
"This Master's program has a much broader and modern scope than I expected. I'm challenged in whole new fields like philosophy, political sciences, religious dialogue, economy, and law."
Upon completion of this program, you will be an expert on the relations between Christianity and society in multiple fields of study.
- Use your expertise in advisory or management roles in religious organizations and churches, in government organizations and in NGOs.
- Apply your academic knowledge in the fields of media, politics and economic relations.
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
- Theology and Religious Studies
Available for both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master’s program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
10:00 - 14:45
Open day Master's programs
The Open day on Saturday 17 November 2018 offers you the opportunity to get acquainted with our English taught (Pre-)Master's programs and Research Masters, get a taste of the atmosphere at our campus and speak with current students, lecturers and academic advisors.
To be announced
Trial lectures Master's programs Tilburg University
Are you interested in one of our Master's programs and do you want to experience what it's like to follow this program at Tilburg University? Then follow a trial lecture of the Master's program of your choice! You can follow a trial lecture from February 1st until May 31st, 2019.
Interested in the MA Christianity and Society?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application