Christianity and Society
Christianity and Society: philosophy, theology, politics, digital culture. Reflect critically on Christianity in the public space and the tensions that arise in the dialogue with modern society and world religions. The program links theological and religious sources of the past with current social, economic and political issues. Special attention is given to issues such as the relation between religion and state, and the contribution of capitalism to justice and happiness.
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
National Student Survey, 2018 | n=2
in your classroom
National Alumni Survey, 2019 | n=2
Program and courses
This program provides a broad perspective on religion and society, including theological, sociological, economical, juridical and philosophical questions. Special attention is given to issues such as the relation between religion and state, and the contribution of capitalism to justice and happiness.
- Small classes (on average 5-10 students), so a lot of individual attention and personal contact among fellow students and teachers.
- International classroom with students from various countries, religions, and academic backgrounds, ensuring a lively and balanced dialogue.
- The opportunity to follow the Extended Master’s Program (adds half a year to the regular program) in which you do an internship at an institution or organization in the field.
- Lower tuition fees than other Master’s programs at Tilburg University.
Partial scholarships are available to encourage students from all economic backgrounds to participate in this graduate program.
- Socially relevant: the Master Christianity and Society deals with relevant social topics: Synodal Process in the Netherlands, various medical-ethical topics, faith & youth, and religion & digital media.
Typical courses are:
- Christian Theology: Fundamental Issues and Contemporary Questions
- Christianity in Dialogue with the Economic World
- Christianity in Dialogue with the World Religions
Simon BeentjesMaster's student
"It is definitely possible to develop your own particular interest. The challenge is to keep a balance between your own interest, and the broad wisdom this program encloses."
Eefje de GelderPhD | Project coordinator
"I learnt to think critically about many societal issues - from other perspectives than I had during my studies in Economics. This really helped me to broaden my (research) horizon."
Dagmar H. GrønlykkeMaster's student
"This Master's program has a much broader and modern scope than I expected. I'm challenged in whole new fields like philosophy, political sciences, religious dialogue, economy, and law."
Upon completion of this program, you will be an expert on the relations between Christianity and society in multiple fields of study.
- Use your expertise in advisory or management roles in religious organizations and churches, in government organizations and in NGOs.
- Apply your academic knowledge in the fields of media, politics and economic relations.
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
- Theology and Religious Studies
Available for both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
International students, please find all information about the tuition fees and the scholarships available.
Interested in this Master’s program?
Would you like to know more about this program?
Download a personalized brochure or contact Katrien, our education representative. She will answer your questions and can connect you with current students, advisors, and teachers.
Download a personalized brochure
10:00 - 12:00
Study Information Day Theology study programs
Come and find out what it is like to study Theology in Utrecht,
meet a teacher and student, follow a trial lecture and ask all your questions!
Please note: this event is in Dutch.
09:15 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 18. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and education coordinators your questions.
Interested in the MA Christianity and Society?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application